Author Topic: NFL 2023-24 Off-Season  (Read 45146 times)

Re: NFL 2023-24 Off-Season
« Reply #315 on: March 24, 2024, 10:13:47 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
If we were to trade with MIN and got #11 and #23, plus possibly more, it is still likely that QBs go 1-3 but after that, I am not sure when the next QB would go:

4) Arizona Cardinals
5) Los Angeles Chargers
6) New York Giants
7) Tennessee Titans
8) Atlanta Falcons
9) Chicago Bears
10) New York Jets
11) Minnesota Vikings

All these teams have a solid QB until you get to maybe the Jets.  So there is some chance that JJ McCarthy makes it to #11.  The problem is that there could be trades.  Someone could jump over MIN and take him.  I guess that is why there are rumors of MIN wanting to trade up.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 10:26:21 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #316 on: March 24, 2024, 10:57:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
If the Pats could get 11, 23, and a future 1st for 3 (plus maybe a 2nd or 3rd next year), then they should probably do that if they aren't completely sold on both Daniels and Maye.  They could potentially use 11 and 23 to move back up to take their QB this year anyway and then have the extra picks next year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #317 on: March 24, 2024, 11:36:17 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
If the Pats could get 11, 23, and a future 1st for 3 (plus maybe a 2nd or 3rd next year), then they should probably do that if they aren't completely sold on both Daniels and Maye.  They could potentially use 11 and 23 to move back up to take their QB this year anyway and then have the extra picks next year.

If they aren't in love with whoever is at 3 (Maye or Daniels) then yeah, I would probably do that. 11, 23, 2025 1st and probably another future 2nd somewhere.

With 11, you could still get a legit OT (probably not Alt, but Fashanu or Fuaga), and at 23 take the 2nd tier QB like Penix. Still have 34 for WR. If any of the top WR or TE like Odunze or Bowers falls to 11, you could snag them there instead, take Penix 23 and then use 34 on OT, it's a LOADED OT draft.

I think Penix has his flaws, but he has moxy to him and definitely balled out for Washington. They weren't projected to even be in the playoffs, let alone the Final. And yeah, he had a rough game against Michigan. Who hasn't? That team and defense were spectacular all year. With #23 or #34 if he's available and you trade down from #3, he's the QB I'd want to develop.

If I had to make a prediction, I ultimately think NE will take whichever QB is at 3. Daniels or Maye. So probably Maye since it seems likely Daniels is going #2.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #318 on: March 24, 2024, 11:49:08 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
My bengals trade Higgins to Washington or Carolina for a 2nd and a 5th next season?? Yay or nay..if they gotta trade him, got to be before the draft
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #319 on: March 24, 2024, 01:37:47 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
My bengals trade Higgins to Washington or Carolina for a 2nd and a 5th next season?? Yay or nay..if they gotta trade him, got to be before the draft

They need to fix their o-line, it's just such an obvious weakness. Burrows isn't going to last otherwise. They should be using assets for that.

« Reply #320 on: March 24, 2024, 01:39:09 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Oh I thought you said he already got dealt and was like "huh??"  :laugh:

« Reply #321 on: March 24, 2024, 01:41:18 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

They need to fix their o-line, it's just such an obvious weakness. Burrows isn't going to last otherwise. They should be using assets for that.

They actually did help it out. Brown squared (Trent Brown + Orlando Brown) with Karras, Kappa and Volson. I do think they'll add another guard in the draft somewhere. They still have Chase but could lose both Higgins and Boyd soon, so another weapon might be needed especially TE because if Gesecki is the #1 TE, good luck

Really sucks Burrow got hurt. Bengals looked to be turning a corner and I think they are the biggest threat to KC going forward, not Buffalo although with Josh Allen they'll always stay in the mix. CIN was close to winning it all two years ago as well.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 01:52:08 PM by Phantom255x »

« Reply #322 on: March 24, 2024, 07:51:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Bengals have had a nice offseason.  I think they may trade Highins at the draft or right before it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #323 on: March 25, 2024, 01:13:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The NFL banned the drop tackle today, and made fairly significant changes to kickoffs.  Also:

Teams will receive a third challenge following one successful challenge. Previously, teams had to be successful on two challenges to receive a third. The proposal was submitted by the Detroit Lions.

A major foul by the offense will be enforced before a change of possession in situations where there are fouls by both teams.

I'm not sure what that last rule means.  In situations where there are fouls by both teams, don't the penalties off-set (and thus negate any change of possession)?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #324 on: March 25, 2024, 04:43:41 PM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 594
NFL not slowly killing my interest challenge impossible.

So now there's going to be more diving at the legs, and more opportunity for refs to screw up a game with bad/missed call.

I really wish the league would just collapse and have a reset.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #325 on: March 25, 2024, 05:49:16 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
NFL not slowly killing my interest challenge impossible.

So now there's going to be more diving at the legs, and more opportunity for refs to screw up a game with bad/missed call.

I really wish the league would just collapse and have a reset.

Did that happen when rugby banned hip-drops?

The idea that banning hip drops will somehow lead to more dangerous plays goes against pretty much all actual data. And it's not like it discourages good form tackles, either.

I get no t liking the kickoff changes they're considering, but banning hip-drops is a no-brainer
I'm bitter.

« Reply #326 on: March 25, 2024, 10:48:27 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
They need to do something about the QBs. You breathe on a QB and that's a 15-yard penalty. Everyone scared of tackling Patrick Mahomes. We need guys who aren't afraid to dive on Mahomes' knees the same way TJ Ward dove on Gronk.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #327 on: March 27, 2024, 03:38:40 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
So now I guess the new kickoff rules is there are no more fair catches and more attempts at returning for TD. And only the kicker and returner can move before the ball lands or is caught by the R, while the rest of the players remain lined up or frozen until it happens.

Copied the XFL on this. I'll miss the days of Devin Hester doing those iconic tough return TDs. NFL wants to promote more scoring. Would be interesting to see how those line of players being trained to react once the ball is caught or landed.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #328 on: March 27, 2024, 06:28:34 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
So now I guess the new kickoff rules is there are no more fair catches and more attempts at returning for TD. And only the kicker and returner can move before the ball lands or is caught by the R, while the rest of the players remain lined up or frozen until it happens.

Copied the XFL on this. I'll miss the days of Devin Hester doing those iconic tough return TDs. NFL wants to promote more scoring. Would be interesting to see how those line of players being trained to react once the ball is caught or landed.

What about onside kicks? Waiting for the ball to  hit the ground or hit a player changes that play significantly.  And who is the returner in that case — if the ball is kicked between two players and both move to the ball

« Reply #329 on: March 27, 2024, 06:39:08 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

What about onside kicks? Waiting for the ball to  hit the ground or hit a player changes that play significantly.  And who is the returner in that case — if the ball is kicked between two players and both move to the ball

You can alert the referee and line up for an on sides kick. Kind of like lining up for a 2 point conversion.