Author Topic: Celtics Off-Season News  (Read 156279 times)

Re: Celtics Off-Season News
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2023, 08:09:00 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
That dig at Ime seemed oddly personal, and also nonsensical.

I mean, depending on how much Danny knows about the whole Ime incident, it might be kind of personal for him. He spent a lot of time in the organization and probably knows the woman involved. That said, the comment is weird put up against the rest of the quote
I'm bitter.

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2023, 08:09:39 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
That dig at Ime seemed oddly personal, and also nonsensical.

I caught that too
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 12:50:38 AM by JSD »
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2023, 06:35:06 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
From a basketball standpoint, Garnett believes the Celtics’ undoing was their offense – specifically, their 3-point shooting. They shot 30.3 percent from deep during the series and had their worst two 3-point shooting outings of the season in Games 6 and 7.

But it was the process of how they took those 3-pointers that Garnett had an issue with, not just that they weren’t going in.

“I thought the C’s stayed on the long ball for too long,” Garnett said. “I think there wasn’t enough going to the basket. … 3s open up by how you’re going to the hole and how aggressive you are. That drive and kicking it [out]. I think they got away from that. Al Horford didn’t get many easy 3s or easy points. Guys like that need those points.”

Even though they had issues with how the Celtics played in Game 7 and in the series, Garnett and Pierce aren’t advocating for any shakeups.

“This is the process,” Garnett said. “You’ve got to go through some pain to get some great moments.”

Pierce said that the Celtics have a “championship roster” and that they should offer Brown an extension this offseason, believing he’ll be a “perennial All-Star.”

“These cats went to the Finals,” Pierce said. “They were one game away from the Finals. You’ve just got to take a deep breath and say, ‘Where do we get better at?’ It starts at the top.”

Both Garnett and Pierce believe that Joe Mazzulla is the right man to be the Celtics’ head coach, too. But they have a familiar face in mind to join him on the staff.

“You can’t keep bringing in new voices,” Pierce said. “I’m going to add to what I got right now. … I’ve got to add to it. It’s already good! I’ve got to add to it. It’s already there.

“So, I’m bringing Mazzulla back but maybe I’m bringing in a veteran coach, like Same Cassell. Some influence on the bench. Respect. A champion. Been a coach. Understands what it takes.”
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2023, 07:34:14 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Both Garnett and Pierce believe that Joe Mazzulla is the right man to be the Celtics’ head coach, too. But they have a familiar face in mind to join him on the staff.

“You can’t keep bringing in new voices,” Pierce said. “I’m going to add to what I got right now. … I’ve got to add to it. It’s already good! I’ve got to add to it. It’s already there.

“So, I’m bringing Mazzulla back but maybe I’m bringing in a veteran coach, like Sam Cassell. Some influence on the bench. Respect. A champion. Been a coach. Understands what it takes.”

Sheed wanted Sam Cassell to replace Doc as head coach in Philly.

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2023, 09:33:41 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

“So, I’m bringing Mazzulla back but maybe I’m bringing in a veteran coach, like Sam Cassell. Some influence on the bench. Respect. A champion. Been a coach. Understands what it takes.”

I’d love to get Sam as an assistant. Big fan.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 09:44:58 PM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2023, 10:52:50 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

You think he’d be fine being assistant to Joe? Maybe name him as associate head coach?

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2023, 11:54:46 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

You think he’d be fine being assistant to Joe? Maybe name him as associate head coach?

If the money is right, I don’t see why not. Would be a solid insurance policy for the C’s and could be a good opportunity for Sam.

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2023, 08:20:06 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

If the money is right, I don’t see why not. Would be a solid insurance policy for the C’s and could be a good opportunity for Sam.

Wonder if PP and KG brokered this thing. If so, nice job boys!  :D

Shams Charania: Sam Cassell has agreed to join the Boston Celtics coaching staff under Joe Mazzulla, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.  – via Twitter ShamsCharania
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 08:39:07 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2023, 08:32:45 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas

Wonder if PP and KG get brokered this thing. If so, nice job boys!  :D

Shams Charania: Sam Cassell has agreed to join the Boston Celtics coaching staff under Joe Mazzulla, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.  – via Twitter ShamsCharania

I was thinking the same. Maybe Wyc and Brad saw the show, then asked PP and KG to arrange a meeting or something. Great news!

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2023, 08:50:37 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

I was thinking the same. Maybe Wyc and Brad saw the show, then asked PP and KG to arrange a meeting or something. Great news!

Now we just need KG and PP to join the coaching staff!  :laugh:

I’m psyched for this hire… I wanted him to be Brad’s replacement when he took the GM role. Great move.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 09:06:57 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2023, 09:05:09 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

My guess is their top choice was Vogel and were waiting for him to fall off the board. I'd be surprised if their budget would allow them to just scoop up all these former head coaches and make them assistants, so they can only pick one, maybe two of them. Hopefully I'm wrong and they're still looking at some high profile names though.

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2023, 09:08:59 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
There’s no news yet of our assistants leaving to join Ime in Houston, i wonder if that rumor has legs. Sam probably replaces Damon Stoudamire. I think Silas is gonna come on board too.

« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2023, 09:19:46 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Isiah Thomas hasn’t spoken to Jaylen Brown since the Celtics were eliminated from the playoffs. But the Piston legend, a mentor to Brown from their ties to Cal, has prepared the advice he will give when next they chat. “Take the money,” Thomas told Heavy Sports through a laugh. Brown still has a year left on his Boston contract, but because of his second team All-NBA selection, he is eligible to sign a supermax extension of five years and some $290 million this summer. “Take the money,” Thomas repeated.  – via Steve Bulpett @ Heavy.com

Later that evening when we spoke, Isiah said, “When I got to know Jaylen Brown and how he played, I said to him — and this is before the draft process started — I said to him, ‘You’re a Celtic.’ He fits the Celtic culture that I played against, that I competed against. That I know.” According to Thomas, Brown still very much fits with Boston and the Celtics “intellectually and spiritually.” “Yeah, he’s been great there,” Thomas told Heavy. “He’s had a great career there, and he’s become one of the best players in the league. They’ve done well, and he’s done well there. It’s been a win-win, I think, for him and for the Celtics.”-via Steve Bulpett @Heavy.com

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2023, 09:46:03 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Thomas is giving JB good advice there, but my goodness:  Kanye, Kyrie and Isiah Thomas.  Those are not three mentors that I would pick.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2023, 11:53:05 AM »

Online BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Isiah Thomas hasn’t spoken to Jaylen Brown since the Celtics were eliminated from the playoffs. But the Piston legend, a mentor to Brown from their ties to Cal, has prepared the advice he will give when next they chat. “Take the money,” Thomas told Heavy Sports through a laugh. Brown still has a year left on his Boston contract, but because of his second team All-NBA selection, he is eligible to sign a supermax extension of five years and some $290 million this summer. “Take the money,” Thomas repeated.  – via Steve Bulpett @ Heavy.com

Later that evening when we spoke, Isiah said, “When I got to know Jaylen Brown and how he played, I said to him — and this is before the draft process started — I said to him, ‘You’re a Celtic.’ He fits the Celtic culture that I played against, that I competed against. That I know.” According to Thomas, Brown still very much fits with Boston and the Celtics “intellectually and spiritually.” “Yeah, he’s been great there,” Thomas told Heavy. “He’s had a great career there, and he’s become one of the best players in the league. They’ve done well, and he’s done well there. It’s been a win-win, I think, for him and for the Celtics.”-via Steve Bulpett @Heavy.com

and the part privately that we dont hear is take the money and demand a trade down the road. Money first, forced trade second no doubt. Not my favorite of advisors for JB for sure