Author Topic: That Maxey Breakaway  (Read 2368 times)

Re: That Maxey Breakaway
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2023, 06:55:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
The more I think about that "pass" by Brogdon, the more I think it might be the worst pass I've ever seen thrown in an NBA game.

Given the time on the clock (none, so no Celtic would've had a chance to shoot it even if it been a good pass), the situation in the game (it's a 1 point game, time winding down, big moment), and just how terrible the pass was (directly into the hands of the fastest player on the floor at the top of the key with no one between him and his basket), maybe the worst pass I've ever seen.

Someone remarked on Twitter it was like the play the patriots had to lose to the raiders this past season and I have to agree they are similar.

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2023, 12:32:04 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I thought that was how the NBA wanted it called.  That they didn't want play stopped if the shot clock went off a split second before the defense player gets control of the ball.  When you make a bonehead play like that, the shot clock going off shouldn't save you.
I am 100% sure that the nba wants this to be called by the letter of the rule.  If the player gains possession before the clock expires, you play on.  If he doesn’t, it’s a violation. 

As to the original question, I have definitive proof that it should have been a violation (see below).  But I don’t blame the refs at all.  It really was too close to call in real time. 

https://imgur.com/a/aHCLvTp

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2023, 10:01:38 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Even before he scored he stopped, picked up his dribble then dribbled again scoring the layup. It was a clear travel.

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2023, 10:40:29 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The more I think about that "pass" by Brogdon, the more I think it might be the worst pass I've ever seen thrown in an NBA game.

Given the time on the clock (none, so no Celtic would've had a chance to shoot it even if it been a good pass), the situation in the game (it's a 1 point game, time winding down, big moment), and just how terrible the pass was (directly into the hands of the fastest player on the floor at the top of the key with no one between him and his basket), maybe the worst pass I've ever seen.

Someone remarked on Twitter it was like the play the patriots had to lose to the raiders this past season and I have to agree they are similar.

The Patriots/ Raiders “pass” was way worse (the fact that I was sitting in the stands for that crap may sway my opinion a bit). 

But in a vacuum, disregarding magnitude of the game, the football play was not advisable under any circumstance, but given the game situation it was completely inexcusable.  The Celts still had a chance to win the game after Brogdon’s bonehead pass.  All the Pats had to do was take a knee and that game was headed to OT.

Yup

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2023, 12:25:17 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

I know this is old news now, but I've heard a few media people talk about that play and they all refer to it as the Maxey steal.

I can't help but wonder if they'd talk about it the same way if someone other than Brogdon had thrown that ball. If Smart had done the exact same thing this board would probably be on fire with "Trade Marcus Dumb!" posts but Brogdon has his reputation so people let it slide.

Of course, Brogdon had a stellar game 2 and I've loved having him on the Celtics this season so I don't want to drag it out too long but I did think it was an inordinately terrble play.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008