Author Topic: Celtics out of gas but still no 15th man!  (Read 13825 times)

Re: Celtics out of gas but still no 15th man!
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2023, 08:45:31 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
If someone is out there who is better than Kornet and Blake, fine. I haven’t heard such a player mentioned. I wondered why Blake didn’t play at all in the 4th. With his limitations on D he’s still a very effective rebounder.

Cody Zeller and Myers Leonard are both better than Kornet. They recently signed with other teams. Serge Ibaka is available and he is also better than Kornet.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2023, 10:18:08 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I just don't see how signing Derrick Favors to a 10 day contract is going to help anything.  Miami was in desperate need of big depth, far worse than us, and Favors didn't even get off their bench.

I do think we need to sign someone (really the 14th person with Gallinari the 15th and out), but last week I would have said we needed a wing.  Now with Rob Williams not playing, maybe the need is a big.  I think this is why they are waiting.  The need can change.

Isn't that why there are 10-day contracts?

Miami used a 10 day contract to sign Favors.  What good did that do them?  He never played a minute.  I think in most cases, that is what you are going to get with a 10 day contract player, nothing.  If there is someone that can actually help the team on nights like last night, I am all for signing them, 10 day or otherwise.  But would Favors (for example) sitting on the bench last night have helped us?  Miami was far more shorthanded for bigs than we are right now and Favors didn't help them one bit.

I get the frustration, it is pathetic to watch the team right now.  But signing a useless player to a 10 day contract is not going to help.  It would be nothing more than a desperation move that would not accomplish anything, unless by some miracle, we find that 10-day contract guy who is going to step into our rotation and contribute.  Miami tried it with Favors.  Good for them.  We (and all other 28 teams) decided not to bring in Favors (something I was totally in favor of earlier in the season).  Looks like someone knew better than me.

By that logic we should be voluntarily forfeiting any 2nd round pick we don’t trade.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2023, 12:58:22 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I’m still shocked they did t “ overpay for Poetl, get Burks much earlier , how many 1sts to get Bogs. All after Wyc stressed “this year not next year. “ in an article!! Again! Does he just want attention? This isn’t the first time they’ve done nothing to bolster the contending lineup.
   But fans were cool with this. Talked like it was their money and picks protecting. Shoukd have gone all in this year for 1 title. You win a title in Boston I’d  bet the Jays would stay  for life. They coujd still win it but they could have been I overwhelming  faves . But agsin, all gotta do is look back. People were very CONTENT with Muscala. He was enough. I guess we’ll see. But wow the risk.

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2023, 08:39:39 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If someone is out there who is better than Kornet and Blake, fine. I haven’t heard such a player mentioned. I wondered why Blake didn’t play at all in the 4th. With his limitations on D he’s still a very effective rebounder.

Cody Zeller and Myers Leonard are both better than Kornet. They recently signed with other teams. Serge Ibaka is available and he is also better than Kornet.
I'm not sure Serge is better than Kornet.  He barely played in Milwaukee before they let him go.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2023, 08:40:15 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
  I’m still shocked they did t “ overpay for Poetl, get Burks much earlier , how many 1sts to get Bogs. All after Wyc stressed “this year not next year. “ in an article!! Again! Does he just want attention? This isn’t the first time they’ve done nothing to bolster the contending lineup.
   But fans were cool with this. Talked like it was their money and picks protecting. Shoukd have gone all in this year for 1 title. You win a title in Boston I’d  bet the Jays would stay  for life. They coujd still win it but they could have been I overwhelming  faves . But agsin, all gotta do is look back. People were very CONTENT with Muscala. He was enough. I guess we’ll see. But wow the risk.

I'm beginning to think Wyc, and the ownership team is a sham.  He says everything but then we let TPE's expire for nothing.  I think he has Brad's hands tied just like Danny's.  He doesn't want to lose the fan base, so he talks a good game but, in the end, nothing.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2023, 09:54:08 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

I'm not sure Serge is better than Kornet.  He barely played in Milwaukee before they let him go.

They have very similar numbers this year.

« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2023, 09:54:42 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I'm beginning to think Wyc, and the ownership team is a sham.  He says everything but then we let TPE's expire for nothing.  I think he has Brad's hands tied just like Danny's.  He doesn't want to lose the fan base, so he talks a good game but, in the end, nothing.

I hear there are going to be fireworks.  :o

« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2023, 10:39:51 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

He’s playing behind Giannis, Lopez and Bobby Portis. Course he’s not going to get a lot of minutes. Think he’d have a better opportunity to compete for playing time considering Rob is hurt, Al needs load management, and Grant/Kornet aren’t very good.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2023, 11:03:19 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

He’s playing behind Giannis, Lopez and Bobby Portis. Course he’s not going to get a lot of minutes. Think he’d have a better opportunity to compete for playing time considering Rob is hurt, Al needs load management, and Grant/Kornet aren’t very good.

For my money these guys are sideways moves or marginal improvements at the very best. If people are unhappy that our starters have limited durability, I get it - that could bite us. Thinking we can get a 15th man who is a starting caliber player for a contender or close to it? That’s not reasonable. You get players a lot like Luke or Blake. Major flaws.

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2023, 11:27:08 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

For my money these guys are sideways moves or marginal improvements at the very best. If people are unhappy that our starters have limited durability, I get it - that could bite us. Thinking we can get a 15th man who is a starting caliber player for a contender or close to it? That’s not reasonable. You get players a lot like Luke or Blake. Major flaws.

Yeah, I don’t think anyone is saying that. What people are hopeful for is adding a player that can contribute more than Griffin and Kornet. Literally no one wanted Griffin all off-season. He signed with the C’s last minute after Gallo went down. I’m not sure that Kornet would be in the NBA If it wasn’t for Brad.

« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2023, 11:53:58 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Yeah, I don’t think anyone is saying that. What people are hopeful for is adding a player that can contribute more than Griffin and Kornet. Literally no one wanted Griffin all off-season. He signed with the C’s last minute after Gallo went down. I’m not sure that Kornet would be in the NBA If it wasn’t for Brad.

Ok. But I still maintain that nobody has named a guy who provides a significant upgrade over them. Serge Ibaka? He is literally not on an NBA team - the Pacers waived him. Nerlens Noel? No idea whether we could get him, but a lot of ppl who’ve seen him say he’s washed. Blake is definitely a better rebounder and shooter. Heck, Kornet might be.

I should add - this hypothetical big also has to be better than Muscala. People seem to want a guy who will mostly sit the end of the bench, not play most nights, and still be good enough to make a difference to winning. Good luck. We are the deepest team in the league. Our problems aren’t caused by lack of depth.

« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2023, 12:06:07 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Ok. But I still maintain that nobody has named a guy who provides a significant upgrade over them. Serge Ibaka? He is literally not on an NBA team - the Pacers waived him. Nerlens Noel? No idea whether we could get him, but a lot of ppl who’ve seen him say he’s washed. Blake is definitely a better rebounder and shooter. Heck, Kornet might be.

I should add - this hypothetical big also has to be better than Muscala. People seem to want a guy who will mostly sit the end of the bench, not play most nights, and still be good enough to make a difference to winning. Good luck. We are the deepest team in the league. Our problems aren’t caused by lack of depth.

I'd take Stanley Johnson in a second. He can play both forward spots and small ball center.

« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2023, 12:38:53 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

He played 14 of the Bucks 1st 16 games and only played 2 games after that, because he quite simply wasn't any good.  There were minutes available for him all year, but the Bucks stopped playing him.  Serge is done as a player you can play.  He is much worse than Griffin and Kornet at this point. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2023, 12:46:19 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

He played 14 of the Bucks 1st 16 games and only played 2 games after that, because he quite simply wasn't any good.  There were minutes available for him all year, but the Bucks stopped playing him.  Serge is done as a player you can play.  He is much worse than Griffin and Kornet at this point.

Kornet had better numbers than Serge this year, especially PER 10 to17...

« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2023, 03:42:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

You've repeatedly asserted that Leonard is better than Kornet - how?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)