Author Topic: Rare 3 & D Combination  (Read 2582 times)

Rare 3 & D Combination
« on: January 13, 2023, 01:58:28 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Three point threat and elite defender? Nope, even rarer…I am talking about natural three point shooter & elite dunker.

This combination is something we almost never see in the NBA.

The first player that comes to mind & perhaps the prototype is Ray Allen.

Can you think of any others?
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Rare 3 & D Combination
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 02:19:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Gerald Green. ;)

But seriously, I wouldn't necessarily say that we almost never see that combination.  It's becoming a lot more ordinary.

Vince Carter immediately jumps to mind as another guy from Ray's era.  But in today's NBA, many great athletic wings can also hit the three at a high proficiency.  On our team, but JT and JB can both dunk and shoot very well.  Lebron.  Donovan Mitchell.  Zach Lavine.  Many others.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 02:24:34 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 02:24:35 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't know what an elite dunker is.  Is that someone who gets a lot of lob-dunks?  Someone who performs well in the dunk contest?

Anyway, I would say that Jayson Tatum is pretty good at both.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 02:29:23 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
I don't know what an elite dunker is.  Is that someone who gets a lot of lob-dunks?  Someone who performs well in the dunk contest?

Anyway, I would say that Jayson Tatum is pretty good at both.

Perhaps I should have made myself clearer, I meant elite athleticism.

The player type would be someone who could be in the dunk contest & the three point contest.

They also have to be natural three point shooters, not someone who eventually became an elite 3 point threat after years in the NBA.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 02:36:42 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
Gerald Green. ;)

But seriously, I wouldn't necessarily say that we almost never see that combination.  It's becoming a lot more ordinary.

Vince Carter immediately jumps to mind as another guy from Ray's era.  But in today's NBA, many great athletic wings can also hit the three at a high proficiency.  On our team, but JT and JB can both dunk and shoot very well.  Lebron.  Donovan Mitchell.  Zach Lavine.  Many others.

Tatum doesn’t have elite athleticism (for NBA standards) and Brown could barely shoot coming out of college.

Vince Carter, Zach LaVine & Donovan Mitchell are great examples, but LeBron couldn’t shoot coming into the NBA.

It’s actually a very rare duel trait to have coming into the NBA, because a young player will almost always rely on one elite skill.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 02:43:44 PM by Ed Monix »

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 02:42:15 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
What do you consider to be elite athleticism and shooting? To me, that’s a player who shoots at least 40% from 3pt and has a 40” vertical or better. Ray Allen is the only player I can think of that fits that mold.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 02:44:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Gerald Green. ;)

Tatum doesn’t have elite athleticism (for NBA standards) and Brown couldn’t shoot well coming out of college.

Vince Carter, Zach LaVine & Donovan Mitchell are great examples, but LeBron couldn’t shoot coming into the NBA.

I don't see the distinction between a great natural shooter versus a great developed shooter, but your thread, your rules.

I'll fight you to the death on JT not being a great dunker, though.  He's one of the better in-game dunkers in the NBA, and he's posterized some pretty impressive names.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2023, 02:45:48 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
What do you consider to be elite athleticism and shooting? To me, that’s a player who shoots at least 40% from 3pt and has a 40” vertical or better. Ray Allen is the only player that I can think of that fits the description.

Yeah that’s what I thought too, but if you keep the bar that high you’d only have Ray Allen lol

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2023, 02:47:46 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Zach LaVine

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2023, 02:48:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
What do you consider to be elite athleticism and shooting? To me, that’s a player who shoots at least 40% from 3pt and has a 40” vertical or better. Ray Allen is the only player that I can think of that fits the description.

Vince Carter, Jason Richardson, Zach Lavine, Brent Barry, Donovan Mitchell, Andrew Wiggins, Nate Robinson and many others.  Eric Gordon, Isaiah Thomas.  At least if you're talking about guys who have hit 40% over at least one season, with others in that same general range.   Pat Connaughton almost hit the 40% mark.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 02:54:26 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2023, 02:52:54 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
Gerald Green. ;)

Tatum doesn’t have elite athleticism (for NBA standards) and Brown couldn’t shoot well coming out of college.

I don't see the distinction between a great natural shooter versus a great developed shooter, but your thread, your rules.

I'll fight you to the death on JT not being a great dunker, though.  He's one of the better in-game dunkers in the NBA, and he's posterized some pretty impressive names.

Tatum’s vertical leap isn’t elite, though I do know what you mean.

The simplest way to describe my parameters is a player coming into the NBA that would be good enough to be in the dunk contest & the three point contest.

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 02:57:39 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4592
Gerald Green. ;)

Tatum’s vertical leap isn’t elite, though I do know what you mean.

The simplest way to describe my parameters is a player coming into the NBA that would be good enough to be in the dunk contest & the three point contest.

There's been several guys that have done that though (compete in both the 3 and dunk contest).

Michael Cooper, Clyde Drexler, Michael Jordan, Kenny Smith, Nick Anderson, Allan Houston, Brent Barry, Ray Allen, Damian Lillard, Paul George, Bobby Sura all have competed in both the 3point and and Dunk contests.

Now not all of them are considered good 3 point shooters (Jordan), but several of them are (or at least were for their eras).

On top of that you have guys who were known as shooters (Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, Rex Chapman) who competed in the dunk contest, but never the 3 point contest.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2023, 03:06:28 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
Gerald Green. ;)

The reason for the distinction is that by the time someone develops an elite three point shot, they will no longer possess that elite vertical leap.

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2023, 03:09:17 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Vince Carter, Jason Richardson, Zach Lavine, Brent Barry, Donovan Mitchell, Andrew Wiggins, Nate Robinson and many others.  Eric Gordon, Isaiah Thomas.  At least if you're talking about guys who have hit 40% over at least one season, with others in that same general range.   Pat Connaughton almost hit the 40% mark.

I meant career averages for the shooting. Ray Allen really was an incredible athlete. He doesn’t get enough recognition.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2023, 03:13:46 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Rashard Lewis?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team