Author Topic: All-Time Scoring Record About to Fall  (Read 19357 times)

Re: All-Time Scoring Record About to Fall
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2023, 06:19:15 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I am guessing Malone, pippen, Reggie miller, Marc Jackson and Kevin Willis (Willis I am pretty certain if he played forever and then a stint of like 10 games when he in his mid 40’s).

You got three.   Miller, Jackson, & Willis.  Well done.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2023, 06:45:51 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
I am guessing Malone, pippen, Reggie miller, Marc Jackson and Kevin Willis (Willis I am pretty certain if he played forever and then a stint of like 10 games when he in his mid 40’s).

Gary Payton?

« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2023, 06:47:00 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Charles Oakley or Horace Grant?

« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2023, 06:47:08 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Gary Payton?

Nope.  Kareem was already retired. 

« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2023, 07:10:48 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Oh man, I found the deepest of cuts for this, but I cheated a bit and looked at the draft classes in the 80s for inspiration, so I’ll hold off on saying it.

« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2023, 07:12:47 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yes to Grant.

« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2023, 07:14:01 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
So far we got Miller, Willis, Jackson, & Grant.

« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2023, 07:16:27 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

Yes to Grant.

I just realized another player but I already submitted my guesses so will let others try to close it out. Fun trivia here!

Grant didn’t cross my mind. Nice one.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 07:29:28 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2023, 07:41:39 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
In thinking about LeBron breaking the record, I've arrived at the conclusion that scoring so many points was much more difficult for Malone and Kareem, because a) the game was much more physical back then, and b) neither of those guys was ever the league's "golden boy," so they weren't given as much preferential treatment from officials.

And yes, I'm a bit salty about LeBron getting the record. I pretty much can't stand him. ;D

It’s tempting to think it’s just easier to score now, much like how recent all the 3PM records are or passing records in the NFL, but there’s gotta be a reason that only 2 guys have come within spitting distance of the top 3 in the past 20 years other than LeBron.

Sure, it has to do with longevity as a top player. It's really hard to a) play roughly 20 years, b) stay healthy for most of those 20 years, and c) stay a top player for those 20 years.

And between the 3pt shot and the rules changes that have made it easier on offenses (such as no hand-checking), it's definitely easier to score these days than it was during Kareem's or even Karl Malone's or Jordan's careers.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2023, 07:52:48 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
In thinking about LeBron breaking the record, I've arrived at the conclusion that scoring so many points was much more difficult for Malone and Kareem, because a) the game was much more physical back then, and b) neither of those guys was ever the league's "golden boy," so they weren't given as much preferential treatment from officials.

And yes, I'm a bit salty about LeBron getting the record. I pretty much can't stand him. ;D

It’s tempting to think it’s just easier to score now, much like how recent all the 3PM records are or passing records in the NFL, but there’s gotta be a reason that only 2 guys have come within spitting distance of the top 3 in the past 20 years other than LeBron.

Sure, it has to do with longevity as a top player. It's really hard to a) play roughly 20 years, b) stay healthy for most of those 20 years, and c) stay a top player for those 20 years.

And between the 3pt shot and the rules changes that have made it easier on offenses (such as no hand-checking), it's definitely easier to score these days than it was during Kareem's or even Karl Malone's or Jordan's careers.

Yeah the league seems to have no interest in changing rules to stop the 270 point games. I wouldn’t be surprised if players are averaging like 37 a game in a year or two with the way the game is played now. I could even see Tatum doing this.

« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2023, 08:02:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Except more points were scored when Kareem played than today.  I went through that already once in this thread.  Malone played in the very depressed scoring of the 90's (though that is one of the 2 weakest decades in the sport's history - the other was the 70's in Kareem's prime).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2023, 08:03:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
LeBron has over 2,200 career 3 Pointers
Kareem had ONE

Scoring Record is about to be passed, kinda unfairly.
Lebron would have scored more points if all of his 3 pointers were turned into 2 pointers and that doesn't account for the increase in FT's he'd get by taking more 2 pointers.

« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2023, 08:15:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yeah Malone had overlap, but he missed the 2 games against the Cavs that last year with his injuries so he never actually played against Lebron.  Same with Pippen. 

Looking at a draft list, Rod Strickland played against Kareem his rookie year and then he did play one of the Cavs games Lebron's rookie year.  So he is one.

Any one else to do it either wasn't drafted or missed a year (or more) and thereby mathematically won't show up on draft lists unless you know to look.

« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2023, 08:28:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yeah Malone had overlap, but he missed the 2 games against the Cavs that last year with his injuries so he never actually played against Lebron.  Same with Pippen. 

Looking at a draft list, Rod Strickland played against Kareem his rookie year and then he did play one of the Cavs games Lebron's rookie year.  So he is one.

Any one else to do it either wasn't drafted or missed a year (or more) and thereby mathematically won't show up on draft lists unless you know to look.

I found two more besides Strickland.  One was drafted in the lottery and then came back after an absence late in his career; one was undrafted.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2023, 08:38:57 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I found two more besides Strickland.  One was drafted in the lottery and then came back after an absence late in his career; one was undrafted.

One of them is [dang] near impossible unless you cheat.