Author Topic: Who’s the ideal second fiddle to Luka?  (Read 1281 times)

Who’s the ideal second fiddle to Luka?
« on: November 27, 2022, 01:27:37 AM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1219
Luka is one of those players who needs the ball in his hands to be successful. But can he do it alone? Yes he brought the Mavs to the conference finals but obviously it wasn’t enough. Who’s the ideal player to pair with him in order to bring the Mavs over the top? In the age of super teams and dynamic duos, who can team up with Luka and make the Mavs a serious title threat?

Re: Who’s the ideal second fiddle to Luka?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 02:33:07 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Luka Doncic shares a lot of characteristics with LeBron James, thus in my opinion, Anthony Davis would be perfect for him as a secondary star.

I’ve also always thought that (healthy) Gordon Hayward would have been a great compliment to Doncic.

Finally, Doncic operates very much like James Harden as a pseudo point guard, so a guy like Desmond Bane would balance out his weaknesses, and accentuate his strengths.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 02:39:37 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 02:39:01 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477
Anyone good, really.

Put any great player next to him and the Mavs are a perennial contender.

I honestly feel bad for him because that roster is not title-worthy.

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 03:51:56 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Luka Doncic shares a lot of characteristics with LeBron James, thus in my opinion, Anthony Davis would be perfect for him as a secondary star.

I’ve also always thought that (healthy) Gordon Hayward would have been a great compliment to Doncic.

Finally, Doncic operates very much like James Harden as a pseudo point guard, so a guy like Desmond Bane would balance out his weaknesses, and accentuate his strengths.

I dunno, its somehow apparent that AD and Lebron dont really mesh well.

Prime klay wouldve been an aqesome fit, great catch and shoot guy while also being a very good defender. But going by the current players hmmm maybe someone like Jaylen Brown

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 04:15:07 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
2-way (s)wings who can play either on or off the ball: Kawhi, George, Tatum, Brown

mobile/switchable PnR/PnP bigs: Davis, Bam, prime KG. Christian Wood fits the mould, although he's obviously less talented than these guys.

glorified 3+D guys: prime Klay

Fill out the rest of the roster with 3+D role players, plus one backup PnR ball handler.

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 08:40:18 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
KD. He knows how to play with guys that want the ball all the time and he still gets near 30 a game.

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2022, 10:34:26 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
The problem with the Mavs is more that Luka just hasn't figured out how to scale back his ball dominance.  There are times and places that he needs to scale it back and he hasn't figured that out (and he may not, sort of like Harden never really figured it out.)  It also doesn't help that Luka is a horrid defender.  Luka's on/off differential just isn't what you'd expect from a truly great player.  His teammates don't really play much worse when he doesn't play because he is SO ball dominant.  He is better this year at +4.3, but for a guy with his numbers he should be way better than that and his career average is just +0.4.

Until Luka figures it out, it makes no real difference who plays with him.  Luka has been the problem, nit his teammates.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2022, 10:49:51 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Anyone who isn't ball dominant. A James Harden type figure for example would be too similar to Luka and lead to too much diminished returns & broken his turn / my turn team offense.

Luka would work great with a 2nd ball-handler who is not a high usage ball-handler. He had a terrific relationship with Goran Dragic in his National Team. Luka needs that secondary creator off the bounce in Dallas. Currently it is Spencer Dinwiddie who isn't really good enough to be the 2nd best shot creator on a title contender.

Another good prototype is the Klay Thompson type player. Someone who doesn't dribble much but is an elite shooter and aggressive shot taker. A two way player. Or at least the pre-injury version of Klay.

A versatile two way forward as mentioned above in the likes of Kawhi, PG13, Tatum or Durant is also an excellent foil to Luka.

Then there are the bigs with Embiid, Jokic, Anthony Davis who are all capable of working well with Luka.

So in summation, Luka works well with most players but I would exclude one group - the ball-dominant ball-handlers - from the mix. Aside from them, Luka works with everyone else. He is a very easy to build around.

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2022, 11:00:10 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Jayson Tatum.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2022, 11:17:19 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2022, 11:48:45 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Embiid. They'd be the modern day Shaq/Kobe. Wouldn't matter who the other guys on the team were, they'd be in the finals every year.

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2022, 01:44:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Without going the obvious route (Giannis), Jaylen Brown or Paul George. Two-way wings who can create on and off-ball at high levels of efficiency.

I think Bam Adebayo would be a great big man pairing. Those illegal screens would work wonders for Luka
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)