Author Topic: Celtics bench 2022-23 season...  (Read 2937 times)

Celtics bench 2022-23 season...
« on: November 26, 2022, 01:21:10 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148

Re: Celtics bench 2022-23 season...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 04:00:19 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 03:35:50 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1351
So you changed your mind on our depth, liam?  :laugh:

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=107109.0

It certainly looks better than it did when you made that thread - we knew Brogdon was going to add some punch off the bench as would Gwill but Hauser and Kornet have definitely exceeded my expectations.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 03:42:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Imagine Brogdon on last season's team...
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 03:50:36 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Then we get that ring!

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 03:55:59 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1408

Yeah, seriously. I wonder if Indy is regretting the trade. They are actually having a decent season, Lol.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2022, 04:26:03 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532

Then we get that ring!
With either him or this season's version of Hauser I think we get the ring.

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2022, 08:57:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

Yeah, seriously. I wonder if Indy is regretting the trade. They are actually having a decent season, Lol.
They had a numbers problem so I don't think they do.  I mean no way Mathurin has the season he has had with Brogdon on their team.

I mean Mathurin is probably the rookie of the year over the first couple of months.  Dude has been a beast and he doesn't get the minutes he has been getting with Brogdon in the way.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2022, 09:25:44 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1351

They had a numbers problem so I don't think they do.  I mean no way Mathurin has the season he has had with Brogdon on their team.

I mean Mathurin is probably the rookie of the year over the first couple of months.  Dude has been a beast and he doesn't get the minutes he has been getting with Brogdon in the way.

It's funny how those things work...like how many minutes would Tatum have got if Hayward had been healthy his first year. Though Tatum (and Brown) was in the starting lineup with Hayward so it was probably Mook and Smartacus who benefited the most from Gordy's unfortunate injury.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 11:05:18 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
Someone in one of my fantasy leagues just picked up Sam Hauser. It's a fairly deep league but still, I did not think I'd see that happen this season.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 08:39:08 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858

It certainly looks better than it did when you made that thread - we knew Brogdon was going to add some punch off the bench as would Gwill but Hauser and Kornet have definitely exceeded my expectations.

Yeah, the talk in that thread was that we had 5 unproven or unplayable players.   Not sure who those would be.  Gallinari is unplayable but he doesn't really count.  The 2-way guys don't count either.  Justin Jackson has been garbage time only as expected but Kornet, Vonleh, and Griffin have all contributed something, especially Kornet.

Our depth is going to improve when RWill gets back but we still will likely make some deal at some point.  Our 6th and 7th men have been Brogdon and White.  Both have been terrific.  Pritchard in the bench mix was never a concern.  And Hauser and Kornet have been pleasant surprises (at least surprises to me).  When Rwill is back, we can add Grant to the bench.

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2022, 08:53:15 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yeah, the talk in that thread was that we had 5 unproven or unplayable players.   Not sure who those would be.  Gallinari is unplayable but he doesn't really count.  The 2-way guys don't count either.  Justin Jackson has been garbage time only as expected but Kornet, Vonleh, and Griffin have all contributed something, especially Kornet.

Our depth is going to improve when RWill gets back but we still will likely make some deal at some point.  Our 6th and 7th men have been Brogdon and White.  Both have been terrific.  Pritchard in the bench mix was never a concern.  And Hauser and Kornet have been pleasant surprises (at least surprises to me).  When Rwill is back, we can add Grant to the bench.

You don't think that at the time of the thread Gallo, Kornet, Jackson, Vonleh, Hauser, Griffin, and whatever guys hadn't been cut yet (Layman, etc.) were either unproven or unplayable?

Who there was a guarantee?  Even you are describing them as surprises, which to me suggests that some of those guys weren't proven commodities. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2022, 09:05:09 AM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1761

You don't think that at the time of the thread Gallo, Kornet, Jackson, Vonleh, Hauser, Griffin, and whatever guys hadn't been cut yet (Layman, etc.) were either unproven or unplayable?

Who there was a guarantee?  Even you are describing them as surprises, which to me suggests that some of those guys weren't proven commodities.

I agree with you that those players weren't proven at the time.  Although, I believe that Stevens did give Hauser a 3-yr contract with 2 years guaranteed.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2022, 09:06:57 AM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

Then we get that ring!

I love how Hauser has been playing but I think he's an 82 game player.  I'm not sure his D will hold up in the playoffs, right now.

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2022, 09:12:53 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Then we get that ring!

I love how Hauser has been playing but I think he's an 82 game player.  I'm not sure his D will hold up in the playoffs, right now.

I think that it will.  I think that his spacing and offense add more than his average to a touch below average hurt.  He'll see his minutes go down in the playoffs, I'm sure, but I think he'll play.

(And, in terms of the original argument, I think he definitely would have played in last year's Finals, if he had been a proven player at that time.  We couldn't hit anything and our offense desperately needed a shooter.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes