Author Topic: The little moves that matter...  (Read 2370 times)

Re: The little moves that matter...
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2022, 03:48:52 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Here's what was said about Tremont Waters during his first two-way contract (via Keith Smith):

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1209125701124796417
One last name that came up repeatedly talking to front office executives and scouts about the G-League Showcase: Tremont Waters. Water is on a Two-Way with Boston.

"He's an NBA backup PG right now. I told our GM to trade for him, because he's better than what we have today."

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1209125701837873152
More on Tremont Waters from another front office executive: "We'd ask, but Boston wouldn't listen. Why would they? Kid can really play. He's small, but smart. Quick enough to get his shot off. He's a playmaker. He'll be on a standard contract next year, if not later this year."

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1209125702605426691
Lastly on Tremont Waters from a scout: "I missed on him. Big time. Thought was too small for our league. But he's tough and fast. I don't know what he'll be beyond it, but he's an NBA backup point guard at least. And that's valuable because everyone plays three PGs a night now."

So people around the league seemed high on him.  Maybe Danny was thinking he'd at least be a tradable asset.  But looking back now, it looks like at least 2 execs and a scout with questionable player evaluation skills.
I actually think waters got a bit of a raw deal, but size was always going to be an issue.  But he absolutely could play.

Not at an NBA level.

And, I think that Keith Smith has a very broad definition of what he considers to be an NBA executive.
My broader point of view is that hindsight is 20/20; I don't think it's particularly useful to look back in this way and make any kind of assessment.  People make decisions on the information they have in front of them, and at the time, Waters earned his spot.  You want to blame anyone, blame him for being so good at that time.  Besides those two scouts, I remember how high Tommy was on Waters.  He dominated the G league too. 

It didn't work out.  That happens.

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2022, 03:56:45 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
This is an interesting case to look back on.  How did we let Max Strus get away?  It is interesting in that in once case (Waters) we kept the player that was too small and in the other, we kept the player that was too big (Fall).  Clearly the team did not see how much Strus was going to improve.  A couple of other teams didn't either.  I am guessing that they felt that Fall or Waters was more rare, Strus, a mid-sized not so athletic wing, was easier to find.  Fall for sure.  He had the potential to be the rarest of basketball commodities.  And Waters, a potentially really good back up PG, is probably a little more rare than a wing.

In the end, Strus was the one that actually did improve and turn into an actual NBA player.  Fall and Waters did not.  Most fringe 2-way level players end up like Fall and Waters.  Very few end up like Strus.  It does seem to be happening more and more but it is still a small percentage.  2-way contracts and the G-League may be giving these later bloomers more of an opportunity.

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2022, 04:54:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Strus didn't stick in Chicago either, so there's a chance he just wasn't ready yet at the time the Celtics had him here. Even his first year in Miami, he only showed flashes of what he would become last year.

There is every chance that in 2019, the Celtics made the right choice given what they saw. Obviously Chicago saw the same thing.

I mean, look at Grant Williams and how so many here were declaring him a failure and that he should be out of the league. Then he has a transformative summer and he's looking at 4 years/$60 million in his future and a long term piece. Guys can change dramatically after a couple early years in the league. Some guys don't. Ainge and Brad didn't think Strus would change enough.

I never got the Tacko decision. Dude could not move and had zero skill. In today's NBA that's a death knell for a big guy. So, yeah, they could have kept Strus over Tacko, but it's not something to complain about. Strus was two years away and the Celts and Bulls didn't see it in him. No biggie. 

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2022, 05:29:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Didn't Strus also do his ACL? We might not have persevered after that anyay
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2022, 08:49:42 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Didn’t the C’s have Garrison Mathews in preseason last year as well? He gave Houston 10pts, 3rebs and 1 ast per game while shooting 36% from 3pt.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2022, 09:29:05 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Didn’t the C’s have Garrison Mathews in preseason last year as well? He gave Houston 10pts, 3rebs and 1 ast per game while shooting 36% from 3pt.

Yeah.  He wouldn’t agree to a 2-way.  Too bad, because he’s a useful player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2022, 11:32:52 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Didn't Strus also do his ACL? We might not have persevered after that anyay

He hurt it after he was cut by Boston and picked up by the Bulls IIRC.