Author Topic: Raptors (1-0) at Celtics (1-0) Preseason Game #2 10/5/22  (Read 15063 times)

Re: Raptors (1-0) at Celtics (1-0) Preseason Game #2 10/5/22
« Reply #255 on: October 06, 2022, 11:20:19 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Jackson 0 for 7. Thomas 0 for 2
Jackson having 7 shots is just such a waste.

We should have gone with Pritchard, Davison, Hauser, Vonleh & Kabengele. These two are doodoo

Jackson looks to be trying too hard to make the team, pushing shots rather than letting the game come to him. Probably he thinks he should be the go to guy in the absence of the regular rotation.

We probably could have won the game if Joe Mazz decided to put a better lineup out there...but I'm ok with the lineup he used to end the game. They probably want to know if those guys have what it takes to pull it out of the fire against a similar level of competition. Jackson's probably someone he wanted to have a look at. Unfortunately for him he laid an egg, but fortunately for us it was the preseason  :police:

I'm not really okay with it. We were up by 19 when Nurse waved the white flag and put in his bench. Then, miraculously, their bench blows ours out, and we are in OT (and then losing). Wins are good for morale and losing a game like this - although meaningless - doesn't help with that.  I am definitely not saying to pound the starters into the ground, but making sure you pull out the the W at the end of regulation should have been easy enough.

Totally understandable...losing sucks no matter what context. Losing a winnable game even more so. But I feel there's value in knowing who is going to be up to it in a tight game vs who isn't. I'm less worried in the actual results of these games than in finding out who can be relied on and who can't. Especially in a game where they have to feel actual pressure, which a tight game that leads to overtime does - you can't replicate that level of pressure in a practice scrimmage. Players who can't be relied on to take care of business with a 20 point lead shouldn't be entrusted with team contracts, and I think this gave us some insights on who those players are. E.g. Jackson was 0-5 in the 4th quarter and 0-3 in the OT period, when they needed to make shots to save and win the game.

We already know that our starters are very solid. We know Malcolm and GWill could easily start too. We don't need to bring them back to save a game because we know that if we did we would probably win. We know Pritchard can deliver, and we're pleasantly surprised with Kabe and Hauser, at least when they are playing supporting roles. With Timelord that's 11 players. Now we want to know who can work around Kabe, Pritchard and Hauser if they have to be the main options. Griffin we've signed, he has a long body of work in the league. So that's 12. Davidson is a 2 way, so that's 13 (11 if you want to keep roster spots separate from 2 ways). The question marks on the tail end of the roster are really centered around Vonleh, Jackson, Thomas, Layman, Kornet and Samanic. Assuming Brad wants to keep a roster spot open (unless he wants to sign someone to a non guaranteed and cut them later) they would be looking to fit 3-4 players into those remaining spots. Who's up to it? If we keep playing the people we already know are good, we won't find out too much about the ones that may need to be the fillers.

Now in reality most of these filler roles will not be playing at all come season start - they're there to have a positive attitude on the bench and to work hard in practice on 5v5 drills. But I don't really see the results of these games as important in the context of our season. I do see the individual performance of players as important, and I think Joe Mazz gained some insights as to who to include in his circle of trust for season start.

Nice response. C2021 and gouki, not so much.

Guys, I realize it was a preseason game and I even used the word 'meaningless' in my response. If you don't like what I have to say, just move on - no reason to post a snarky post in response to mine.

All I said was that winning these games provides a morale boost. Justin Jackson and Brodric Thomas aren't even going to make the roster never mind sniff the court in the clutch. Yes, I realize it was meaningless, but we were horrific last season in close games. A little extra practice with at least a couple of our rotation players couldn't have hurt. Also, no need to cause a potential injury with an OT.

I'm expecting for Layman and Simanic to have more time in the last 2 games, to see what they can produce. Though I really think that the inside running for at least 2 of those last 4 spots belong to Vonleh and Kornet. Both fill a need for this team for bigs, especially with Timelord injured, and both offer a different look (interior rebounding vs stretch big). I think Kabe stays as a 2 way, because he needs play time to get better. I'm looking at it like this (in terms of roster, not necessarily PT)

Rotation
Timelord
Al
Jayson
Jaylen
Smartacus
Malcolm
Derrick
GWill
----------
Mid Bench
Hauser
Payton
Griffin (won't play much but he was signed for a specific reason)
----------
2 Ways
Kabe
Davison
---------
Need to pick 3-4 out of these
Vonleh
Kornet
Simanic
Thomas
Jackson
Layman

Gallo - injured for season

Kornet is staying. There are two pots open but we may only fill one at this point. So one or two spots for:

Vonleh
Simanic
Thomas
Jackson
Layman

And I'm guessing Vonleh has the inside running on one of those spots, because of the role he plays and because of the need we have. I don't think he's harmed his chances in his minutes thus far, other than being foul prone.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #256 on: October 06, 2022, 11:49:05 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
TimeLord health gotta be a major concern again so I see Vonleh staying & why they brought Griffin in also
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #257 on: October 06, 2022, 12:28:53 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1227
Jackson 0 for 7. Thomas 0 for 2
Jackson having 7 shots is just such a waste.

We should have gone with Pritchard, Davison, Hauser, Vonleh & Kabengele. These two are doodoo

Jackson looks to be trying too hard to make the team, pushing shots rather than letting the game come to him. Probably he thinks he should be the go to guy in the absence of the regular rotation.

We probably could have won the game if Joe Mazz decided to put a better lineup out there...but I'm ok with the lineup he used to end the game. They probably want to know if those guys have what it takes to pull it out of the fire against a similar level of competition. Jackson's probably someone he wanted to have a look at. Unfortunately for him he laid an egg, but fortunately for us it was the preseason  :police:

I'm not really okay with it. We were up by 19 when Nurse waved the white flag and put in his bench. Then, miraculously, their bench blows ours out, and we are in OT (and then losing). Wins are good for morale and losing a game like this - although meaningless - doesn't help with that.  I am definitely not saying to pound the starters into the ground, but making sure you pull out the the W at the end of regulation should have been easy enough.

Totally understandable...losing sucks no matter what context. Losing a winnable game even more so. But I feel there's value in knowing who is going to be up to it in a tight game vs who isn't. I'm less worried in the actual results of these games than in finding out who can be relied on and who can't. Especially in a game where they have to feel actual pressure, which a tight game that leads to overtime does - you can't replicate that level of pressure in a practice scrimmage. Players who can't be relied on to take care of business with a 20 point lead shouldn't be entrusted with team contracts, and I think this gave us some insights on who those players are. E.g. Jackson was 0-5 in the 4th quarter and 0-3 in the OT period, when they needed to make shots to save and win the game.

We already know that our starters are very solid. We know Malcolm and GWill could easily start too. We don't need to bring them back to save a game because we know that if we did we would probably win. We know Pritchard can deliver, and we're pleasantly surprised with Kabe and Hauser, at least when they are playing supporting roles. With Timelord that's 11 players. Now we want to know who can work around Kabe, Pritchard and Hauser if they have to be the main options. Griffin we've signed, he has a long body of work in the league. So that's 12. Davidson is a 2 way, so that's 13 (11 if you want to keep roster spots separate from 2 ways). The question marks on the tail end of the roster are really centered around Vonleh, Jackson, Thomas, Layman, Kornet and Samanic. Assuming Brad wants to keep a roster spot open (unless he wants to sign someone to a non guaranteed and cut them later) they would be looking to fit 3-4 players into those remaining spots. Who's up to it? If we keep playing the people we already know are good, we won't find out too much about the ones that may need to be the fillers.

Now in reality most of these filler roles will not be playing at all come season start - they're there to have a positive attitude on the bench and to work hard in practice on 5v5 drills. But I don't really see the results of these games as important in the context of our season. I do see the individual performance of players as important, and I think Joe Mazz gained some insights as to who to include in his circle of trust for season start.

Nice response. C2021 and gouki, not so much.

Guys, I realize it was a preseason game and I even used the word 'meaningless' in my response. If you don't like what I have to say, just move on - no reason to post a snarky post in response to mine.

All I said was that winning these games provides a morale boost. Justin Jackson and Brodric Thomas aren't even going to make the roster never mind sniff the court in the clutch. Yes, I realize it was meaningless, but we were horrific last season in close games. A little extra practice with at least a couple of our rotation players couldn't have hurt. Also, no need to cause a potential injury with an OT.

I'm expecting for Layman and Simanic to have more time in the last 2 games, to see what they can produce. Though I really think that the inside running for at least 2 of those last 4 spots belong to Vonleh and Kornet. Both fill a need for this team for bigs, especially with Timelord injured, and both offer a different look (interior rebounding vs stretch big). I think Kabe stays as a 2 way, because he needs play time to get better. I'm looking at it like this (in terms of roster, not necessarily PT)

Rotation
Timelord
Al
Jayson
Jaylen
Smartacus
Malcolm
Derrick
GWill
----------
Mid Bench
Hauser
Payton
Griffin (won't play much but he was signed for a specific reason)
----------
2 Ways
Kabe
Davison
---------
Need to pick 3-4 out of these
Vonleh
Kornet
Simanic
Thomas
Jackson
Layman

Gallo - injured for season

Kornet is staying. There are two pots open but we may only fill one at this point. So one or two spots for:

Vonleh
Simanic
Thomas
Jackson
Layman

Vonleh is probably a shoo in. I would really like Luka to stick around and see if he could be a project. I feel though that Brad would rather go into the season with an extra roster spot at this point.

« Reply #258 on: October 06, 2022, 08:53:00 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

« Reply #259 on: October 06, 2022, 08:59:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Lost in the sauce here is the awful shooting night for JT. 6-16 from the field with NO makes farther out than 3 feet.
https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&ContextMeasure=FGA&EndPeriod=0&EndRange=31800&GameID=0012200020&PlayerID=1628369&RangeType=0&Season=2022-23&SeasonType=Pre%20Season&StartPeriod=0&StartRange=0&TeamID=1610612738&flag=3&sct=plot&section=game
I'm pretty sure he went 5-11 and then 1-5 (perhaps entirely on threes). His deep ball looked off, but not a mile off
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #260 on: October 06, 2022, 09:00:46 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Lost in the sauce here is the awful shooting night for JT. 6-16 from the field with NO makes farther out than 3 feet.
https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&ContextMeasure=FGA&EndPeriod=0&EndRange=31800&GameID=0012200020&PlayerID=1628369&RangeType=0&Season=2022-23&SeasonType=Pre%20Season&StartPeriod=0&StartRange=0&TeamID=1610612738&flag=3&sct=plot&section=game

Tatum missed shots, shots that he will make in bunches at times during the season.  What I liked is that he drew a lot of fouls and got to the line.  7 FTs, I hope he keeps that up.  I am not worried about the shooting.

« Reply #261 on: October 07, 2022, 12:44:55 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Tatum missed shots, shots that he will make in bunches at times during the season.  What I liked is that he drew a lot of fouls and got to the line.  7 FTs, I hope he keeps that up.  I am not worried about the shooting.

JT started slowly last year (can’t recall prior years).  I think this is near the time of year when someone suggests that JB has caught or surpassed JT and then eventually JT shows that it’s not really a legit debate. 

« Reply #262 on: October 07, 2022, 09:30:27 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Sky is falling

Your friend ,

Chicken Little. 

:)

« Reply #263 on: October 07, 2022, 09:36:14 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

JT started slowly last year (can’t recall prior years).  I think this is near the time of year when someone suggests that JB has caught or surpassed JT and then eventually JT shows that it’s not really a legit debate.

That is true.  I am not worried about Tatum in any overall sense but it would be nice if he didn't get off to another slow start.  Seeing him go 0-7 from 3 does worry me that there could be another slow start.  He needs to figure that out.  He can't be the level of star he wants to be and have slow starts every year.

« Reply #264 on: October 07, 2022, 09:37:19 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Sky is falling

Your friend ,

Chicken Little. 

Thanks Mr. Little.  Nice to hear from you.

« Reply #265 on: October 07, 2022, 09:44:25 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Sky is falling

Your friend ,

Chicken Little. 

I think that's Ms. Little.  ;-)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #266 on: October 07, 2022, 09:48:22 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Sky is falling

Your friend ,

Chicken Little. 

I think that's Ms. Little.  ;-)

Ouch, my bad, thanks for clarifying that.

« Reply #267 on: October 07, 2022, 09:54:07 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

It never becomes a legit debate because the team runs its offense through Tatum, regardless. Now with Brogdon, Brown's offensive role only becomes more focused on scoring in spurts when the team needs him.

The team is set up structurally for Tatum, not Brown. It's almost impossible for Brown to outplay Tatum in the long run.

« Reply #268 on: October 07, 2022, 11:46:32 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Sky is falling

Your friend ,

Chicken Little. 

“.yep, …..Just crossing the road “