Poll

Were you for Allen trade and for the KG trade at the time.

Yes for both
14 (45.2%)
No on both.
3 (9.7%)
Yes for Allen only, wanted to keep Al and young guns.
2 (6.5%)
Yes for Allen only if it got KG.
11 (35.5%)
Wanted KD for PP and youth movement.
1 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: If you recall where did you stand on 07 trades  (Read 4071 times)

If you recall where did you stand on 07 trades
« on: August 16, 2022, 05:23:55 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The split on KD for Brown with fans made me remember how divided people were in 07. So where did you stand back then?

I was option 4. I wanted Allen only if it got KG. And if that wasn't happening I was for Pierce for KD and going full youth movement.

Re: If you recall where did you stand on 07 trades
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 05:54:22 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I wasn't in favor of either, I wanted to develop out team for the long run, versus a short championship stint, just like I am now.

Keep the picks and we potentially have Noah in 2007 and Steph in 2009 with the picks we gave up, right?

Now with Pierce, Jefferson, Gomes, Noah, Steph, Green, Perk, etc., that would have been a long run team.

This is the reason, I'm in the #JKJB camp.  Add a vet or two into the mix (Dano, Al), and build around RWill, JT, JB as the big three. 
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 06:44:48 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The split on KD for Brown with fans made me remember how divided people were in 07. So where did you stand back then?

I was option 4. I wanted Allen only if it got KG. And if that wasn't happening I was for Pierce for KD and going full youth movement.
That's what I chose, but not exactly what I felt. I do not recall KG being part of the possibilities at the time of the Allen trade. I did not like the trade because I didn't see Allen alone as the missing piece to get to a chip.

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 07:12:13 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I was over the top with the thought of KG on Boston.  I was following him as my favorite player and had been only excited over Pierce s presence on Boston. I was all for those trades.

Not a huge KD fan as I once was. His recent diva ness plus the Kyrie experience  has me very hesitant to wish him on this team and trade Jaylen.  In this era of nba , It’s a much bigger risk IMO to bring in KD than KG a loyal soul , who bonded good with Doc and the team.

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 07:16:17 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I didn't like the idea of Big Al + #5 for KG unless there was a second piece.  As I recall, I was the blog's biggest Pau Gasol proponent back then; I preferred him at a lesser cost than KG costing us our two best assets. 

When the Ray Allen trade happened, I was frustrated, because it seemed like we traded the #5 pick for an aging piece that wouldn't deliver us a championship.  I had given up hope on KG, because we'd used the #5 in trade, which was a big part of the rumored deal.

When the KG trade was made, I was thrilled.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 07:56:49 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Like every Celtics fan, it was a huge downer to not get a top 2 pick in that draft.  It didn’t seem like anyone else could help transform a franchise.  At that point, I wanted the Celtics to trade Pierce and rebuild. 

When they did the Ray Allen trade, I was upset.  I thought he was well past his prime and would relegate the Celtics to mediocrity for years.

When the KG trade happened initially, part of me was excited, but I also expected Big Al to have a great career and was still holding out hope for Gerald, so I thought it was a bit of an overpay.  While it obviously made the Celtics better in the short-term, I still didn’t think they were title contenders.

However, once they started filling out the roster, I changed my tune.  I think it was the James Posey signing that finally made me think that they were true title contenders.

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 08:00:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I was one of the few on here that actually liked the Allen trade on its own when it first happened.  I was excited that Ainge had finally picked a direction and I wasn't enamored with anyone that would have been available at 5.  I knew Allen on his own wasn't going to make Boston a contender, but it signaled that Ainge was going for it and I knew there would be a follow-up trade at some point. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 08:02:38 AM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
I was a Big Al fan and didn't want to see him traded.  I was not a fan of KG and didn't think it was a good trade at the time.  Thought Allen was on the the down side of his career and felt ambivalent about him joining the Cs.  Well, I was wrong about KG and Allen.  Turned out to be a stellar 5 year run, except for the injuries.   
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 08:45:20 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I was a Big Al fan and didn't want to see him traded.  I was not a fan of KG and didn't think it was a good trade at the time.  Thought Allen was on the the down side of his career and felt ambivalent about him joining the Cs.  Well, I was wrong about KG and Allen.  Turned out to be a stellar 5 year run, except for the injuries.
this is pretty much where I was at. 

only issue I had with the Ray trade was that I thought we overpaid, not that we weren't getting a player that was better than both Wally and West combined.  I was concerned Ray's best days were behind him so I was more than a bit ticked we gave up the #5 for a player in decline.

I didn't think the KG rumor had any real legs and I was against the deal when it happened because I also saw KG as beginning the tale end of his career and we were giving a young rising stud in Al.  In the end I thought we overpaid for KG as well thinking that at a minimum we should have kept Gomes out of the deal.

2008 season erased any concerns I had about overpaying.

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2022, 11:18:31 AM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
I was one of the few on here that actually liked the Allen trade on its own when it first happened.  I was excited that Ainge had finally picked a direction and I wasn't enamored with anyone that would have been available at 5.  I knew Allen on his own wasn't going to make Boston a contender, but it signaled that Ainge was going for it and I knew there would be a follow-up trade at some point.

I dunno if I remember feeling like the other shoe had to drop as much, but it was clear (as much fun as Toine and Ricky Davis had been) that Allen was going to be the best teammate Pierce had ever had, provided he was healthy, since I think he'd had foot surgery or something the season before the trade. So that was exciting.

Then the KG trade happened and it was pretty clear that we'd gone from being a fun team to being a good one.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2022, 11:30:13 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
KG was my favorite NBA player so I was thrilled when we got him. Allen, not so much, but obviously that's what it took to land KG, so it all made sense in the end.

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2022, 12:23:27 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I was over the top with the thought of KG on Boston.  I was following him as my favorite player and had been only excited over Pierce s presence on Boston. I was all for those trades.

Not a huge KD fan as I once was. His recent diva ness plus the Kyrie experience  has me very hesitant to wish him on this team and trade Jaylen.  In this era of nba , It’s a much bigger risk IMO to bring in KD than KG a loyal soul , who bonded good with Doc and the team.

KD is rubber but KG was glue...

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2022, 12:48:46 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I was for Both and I'm for KD...as long as it's only Brown/White/Picks.

I think we were lucky last season, and it's Fool's Gold to assume we're going to The Finals this season.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2022, 01:09:54 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I loved the Ray Allen trade.

Before the KG trade, I was happy either way. I thought a trio of Big Al, Pierce and Ray could be a title contender as it was plus I loved the long term potential of Big Al as a post up scorer. I was also down on KG at the time after missing the playoffs for 2 years.

Then the trade happened and I was delighted and so excited that KG was here. Despite being a bit down on him at the time, KG was still super-talented and so much fun to watch and I couldn't wait to see the new-look Celtics together. That was an exciting summer.

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2022, 02:01:40 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
When the Ray Allen trade happened, I was frustrated, because it seemed like we traded the #5 pick for an aging piece that wouldn't deliver us a championship.  I had given up hope on KG, because we'd used the #5 in trade, which was a big part of the rumored deal.

This is pretty much how I felt.

Reminded me of the Pitino/Wallace years.  Billups for Kenny Anderson, Joe Johnson for Rodney Rogers/Tony Delk, #8 for Potapenko, etc.  Trading youth for a small short-term improvement.

The C's just overpaid to become a 2nd round playoff team (at best) with the only chance of getting beyond that is if Rondo, Big Al, or Tony Allen suddenly developed into a top 10 player.

Then the KG trade happened and I was ecstatic.  My only disappointment there was that it took so long to happen (July 31st), I thought had it happened at the draft, then maybe the C's could have snagged some better free agents (Grant Hill, Steve Francis, etc.).  Turns out Posey and House weren't so bad.

The trade is what got me to join Celticsblog.  So excited, had to talk about it.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class