Author Topic: Denzel Valentine to camp deal  (Read 2515 times)

Re: Denzel Valentine to camp deal
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2022, 01:44:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Falls in line with the other "make or break" players Brad has coming to camp. Hey, if he hits on just one of these guys playing some rotational minutes, it's an overall successful strategy. If he doesn't hit on any of them, it was worth the shot.

I'm curious, is this the strategy you would have followed?

For whatever reason (CB Drafts?) I thought you were more about proven players.  Are you okay with it if our final three roster spots go to Valentine, Bruno and Vonleh, assuming they look mediocre but not abjectly terrible in training camp?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2022, 02:01:03 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Falls in line with the other "make or break" players Brad has coming to camp. Hey, if he hits on just one of these guys playing some rotational minutes, it's an overall successful strategy. If he doesn't hit on any of them, it was worth the shot.

For whatever reason (CB Drafts?) I thought you were more about proven players.  Are you okay with it if our final three roster spots go to Valentine, Bruno and Vonleh, assuming they look mediocre but not abjectly terrible in training camp?

My strategy would have been to bring in the best available players that were willing to come in.  I think people assume that we could have brought in Dwight Howard or whoever if we wanted but there is no way to know that.

As to the roster, we have to see what these players look like in training camp but I am expecting to be pretty happy with Noah Vonleh as the last big to add.  Remember, we can always cut Kornet at any time if some vet becomes available.  Bruno I do not expect to make it and as to Valentine, if he beats out Brodric Thomas for the last guard spot, I am fine enough with that.

I think what we are still missing is a back up or third string forward wing to be in the depth behind Tatum.  I understand that Brown is kind of in the depth behind Tatum and maybe even to some extent Malcolm Brogdon but we don't really have a back up who is principally a SF.  Maybe they see Bruno Caboclo as taking that role but I would like to see someone better or more established for that role.

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2022, 02:15:25 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

I'm fine with anyone that Ime thinks can defend in his system. It's a long season and I'd like our team to be fresher going into the playoffs than last year.

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2022, 03:15:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Just so we have guys to fall back that are better than the G league gang last year.   We already have a lot more depth adding Brogdon.   

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2022, 03:34:10 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Would you rather have Justin Jackson or Denzel Valentine?

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2022, 03:43:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

What I would do in a game where salaries don't matter and how I might handle the reality of in real life moves are quite different.

If minimizing the tax bill is an issue, and I believe it is, what Brad is doing makes sense, as I think he can still add a proven player or two once the market reopens after having shut down awaiting moves on Durant, Kyrie, Mitchell and Westbrook. Those proven guys are waiting to see how things shake out and where it might be easiest to win a title after moves trades are made.

That said, if luxury tax money wasn't an issue, I would already have added a proven guy using the expired $17.9 million TPE, making these lesser moves less important because the team would already be 11 deep in proven talent

Smart/Brogdon/Pritchard
Brown/White
Tatum/Grant
Horford/Gallo
Timelord

Plus the TPE guy.

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2022, 03:57:33 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666

Valentine is very proven, lol.  He's proven himself as a replacement-level player in this league at best. 

On a serious note, I don't really like this strategy of filling out the back of the roster either.  I'm okay with one or two Luke Kornets at the end of the bench but not four or five.  That's just too many players who I don't trust in the rotation when Brogdon or Rob or Horford need a few weeks off to get healthy. 

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2022, 06:00:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Valentine is very proven, lol.  He's proven himself as a replacement-level player in this league at best. 

On a serious note, I don't really like this strategy of filling out the back of the roster either.  I'm okay with one or two Luke Kornets at the end of the bench but not four or five.  That's just too many players who I don't trust in the rotation when Brogdon or Rob or Horford need a few weeks off to get healthy.

The big thing will be how Ime views them. I hope Ime will open up his rotations in the regular season this year and run at least 9-10 deep. Maybe tighten it for the big games during the season and the playoffs.

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2022, 07:48:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Noooooo
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2022, 07:53:29 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2022, 12:54:55 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I thought Denzel was like a low rent Marcus Smart. Correct me if I'm wrong on this... I haven't seen him play since he played for The Bulls.

I remember him having a Ron Mercer type game.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2022, 02:17:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I thought Denzel was like a low rent Marcus Smart. Correct me if I'm wrong on this... I haven't seen him play since he played for The Bulls.

I remember him having a Ron Mercer type game.

He has an old man game...