Author Topic: Patriots 2022 Season  (Read 107399 times)

Re: Patriots 2022 Season
« Reply #405 on: October 02, 2022, 09:22:06 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
It's pretty sad how people get excited about a young QB scoring a touchdown for the Pats. You can combine Mac Jones, Zappe and Hoyer together into a voltron QB and this team will still suck. None of these guys are ever going to approach 25% of Tom Brady's ability.

Last year Mac was runner up for Rookie of the year, he made the pro bowl and was the best QB in a loaded draft class. Why wouldn’t fans get excited going into year two? Unfortunately, the coaching staff is failing him this season. No one’s expecting him or any other QB to be Brady.

This is mediocre to lousy team since Brady left unfortunately. This may be it for the foreseeable future. Bill Belichick is proving he can't win without Brady. The roster is poorly constructed each year and the coaching is questionable at best.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 09:28:07 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #406 on: October 02, 2022, 10:33:49 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
It's pretty sad how people get excited about a young QB scoring a touchdown for the Pats. You can combine Mac Jones, Zappe and Hoyer together into a voltron QB and this team will still suck. None of these guys are ever going to approach 25% of Tom Brady's ability.

Last year Mac was runner up for Rookie of the year, he made the pro bowl and was the best QB in a loaded draft class. Why wouldn’t fans get excited going into year two? Unfortunately, the coaching staff is failing him this season. No one’s expecting him or any other QB to be Brady.

This is mediocre to lousy team since Brady left unfortunately. This may be it for the foreseeable future. Bill Belichick is proving he can't win without Brady. The roster is poorly constructed each year and the coaching is questionable at best.

Certainly seems that way. Will be interesting to see what the Krafts decide to do about it.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #407 on: October 02, 2022, 10:37:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Certainly seems that way. Will be interesting to see what the Krafts decide to do about it.
I feel like being both GM and coach has become too much for Bill (as it would be for anyone IMO). I think changing his role, and perhaps moving on from old favourites, such as re-hiring Patricia, will help progress the team.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #408 on: October 02, 2022, 10:56:38 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

I feel like being both GM and coach has become too much for Bill (as it would be for anyone IMO). I think changing his role, and perhaps moving on from old favourites, such as re-hiring Patricia, will help progress the team.

I think a good compromise would be to let Bill handle the defensive personnel and then bring in a GM to take care of the offensive side, plus hire an actual
OC. Belichick would probably retire if he isn’t allowed to choose his defensive/special teams players.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 11:24:24 PM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #409 on: October 03, 2022, 08:15:54 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
The Patriots played well against both Baltimore and Green Bay.  It was still 2 losses but these are 2 good teams with great QBs.  I have not given up on them.  I think the playoffs are still a reasonable hope.  They are definitely not close to being a top team but the schedule gets a lot easier for a few games now.  Let's see if they can get something going.

« Reply #410 on: October 03, 2022, 08:17:49 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think a good compromise would be to let Bill handle the defensive personnel and then bring in a GM to take care of the offensive side, plus hire an actual
OC. Belichick would probably retire if he isn’t allowed to choose his defensive/special teams players.

How would that work in practicality?  Does Bill have final say so on all acquisitions?  For instance, Bill wants to go defense in the first round, the co-GM wants offense.  Or, Bill wants to spend cap space across several defensive players; the co-GM has targeted two game-changers on offense.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #411 on: October 03, 2022, 08:39:12 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

This is what I've been saying for awhile.  Doing one of those jobs in the NFL is very hard, trying to do two is impossible.  Teams can get away with it for a little while, but not long term.  It just doesn't work.  I mean imagine a NBA trying to have a coach and GM at the same time.  We'd all think it is ridiculous yet it would be a heck of a lot easier to do in the NBA than it is in the NFL.  That said, I do think you can have a coach that has ultimate say from a power dynamic standpoint, so if two guys are close, the coach can make the final determination.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #412 on: October 03, 2022, 10:00:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
There’s that Bum Devante Parker. Making plays, once again.
He had a nice 25 yard TD, unfortunately the rest of the game he had 1 catch for -1 yard (which he had at the time you posted this since it was before the TD).

So in sum here are Parker's 4 games this year

Game, Targets - Catches - Yards - Extra

Game 1, 2 - 1 - 9
Game 2, 2 - 0 - 0
Game 3, 10 - 5 - 156
Game 4, 2 - 2 - 24 - 1 TD

So in 4 games he has 16 Targets, 8 catches for 189 yards and 1 TD.  Very solid per catch average, just not nearly enough catches and only catching about half his targets (which also isn't very good). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #413 on: October 03, 2022, 10:33:56 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I know this is kind of splitting hairs, but why have we been having Bryant return punts? Marcus Jones is an explosive 5'8 ish slot guy who was prolific at punt returns in college. It was his greatest skill coming out. It's why he had a mid round grade on him.

As soon as we use him, he produces immediately. Just seems strange to me considering Bryant has been meh.
#JKJB

« Reply #414 on: October 03, 2022, 10:41:21 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

How would that work in practicality?  Does Bill have final say so on all acquisitions?  For instance, Bill wants to go defense in the first round, the co-GM wants offense.  Or, Bill wants to spend cap space across several defensive players; the co-GM has targeted two game-changers on offense.

Ownership would have to get more involved to make those final decisions. I honestly would be surprised if they aren’t already doing this. The Krafts are paying Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry, and Nelson Agholor nearly $40M/ year combined for virtually no production. Something has got to give.

« Reply #415 on: October 03, 2022, 11:03:54 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The world would be an amazing place if Isaiah Wynn and Myles Bryant were simply cut from this team asap
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #416 on: October 03, 2022, 11:18:14 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It wouldn't work and it's why no other team is structured that way and that none ever has. It's a really bad suggestion.

« Reply #417 on: October 03, 2022, 11:19:19 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

This is what I've been saying for awhile.  Doing one of those jobs in the NFL is very hard, trying to do two is impossible.  Teams can get away with it for a little while, but not long term.  It just doesn't work.  I mean imagine a NBA trying to have a coach and GM at the same time.  We'd all think it is ridiculous yet it would be a heck of a lot easier to do in the NBA than it is in the NFL.  That said, I do think you can have a coach that has ultimate say from a power dynamic standpoint, so if two guys are close, the coach can make the final determination.
It's impossible to do both jobs?

There's about 20+ years of history that prove this wrong.

« Reply #418 on: October 03, 2022, 11:28:05 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

It wouldn't work and it's why no other team is structured that way and that none ever has. It's a really bad suggestion.

Nick, what isn’t working is what the Pats are currently doing. How many teams have a coach who is also GM? That would be zero. No other team is doing that. It’s too much for one person to do and it shows. Bill is 70 years old now. Brady hasn’t been here for years. Time to change the strategy.

« Reply #419 on: October 03, 2022, 11:29:50 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

It's impossible to do both jobs?

There's about 20+ years of history that prove this wrong.

When it was working for the Pats, they always had a Director of Player Personnel or something like that.  Someone performing the duties of the GM role.  It was not like Belichick tried to do both jobs.  He just had authority over the GM instead of the GM having authority over the Coach.  That is really the only difference.  Bill was able to make it work pretty well, and I don't think just because of Tom Brady.

During the season, the focus is more on coaching.  I am sure the GMs still do stuff, look for trades, released players.  I suspect Bill left that to the player personnel guy.  Then got more involved for the draft and FA periods.