Author Topic: 2022-23 College Football Thread  (Read 39389 times)

Re: 2022-23 College Football Thread
« Reply #285 on: November 26, 2022, 03:51:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
Sorry Moranis

But DOWN GOES OHIO STATE!

That was kinda deja vu like last year. Both teams played well first half and it was a fairly close game. Then Michigan’s O-Line and running game absolutely destroyed OSU in the 2nd half last year and today.

Ohio State only scored 3 points in the 2nd half today. Very impressive from Michigan’s defense

Harbaugh got a lot of criticism early on but that’s now 2 straight wins over Ohio State, and Michigan looks poised to continue a consistent playoff pedigree going forward
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #286 on: November 26, 2022, 03:59:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Oh wow. DOWN GOES #7 CLEMSON AS WELL!

Their 40-game home winning streak comes to an end. What a few weeks for South Carolina. Beat two Top-7 teams in the nation two straight weeks in a row

« Reply #287 on: November 26, 2022, 04:27:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Not a good 2 days, first Cincinnati loses and then Ohio State gets embarrassed again. Beating was so bad they have virtually no shot at back dooring into playoff now
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #288 on: November 26, 2022, 04:28:46 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
Thank you Michigan!!!!!!!!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #289 on: November 26, 2022, 05:50:07 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Not a good 2 days, first Cincinnati loses and then Ohio State gets embarrassed again. Beating was so bad they have virtually no shot at back dooring into playoff now
I wish you were right but I think they still have a pretty good chance.  Georgia, Michigan and TCU are locks.  OSU needs Georgia to beat LSU in the SEC championship which I'd say is very likely and then they need USC to lose to either Notre Dame or in the Pac-12 championship which I'd say is 50/50. 

« Reply #290 on: November 26, 2022, 06:04:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I wish you were right but I think they still have a pretty good chance.  Georgia, Michigan and TCU are locks.  OSU needs Georgia to beat LSU in the SEC championship which I'd say is very likely and then they need USC to lose to either Notre Dame or in the Pac-12 championship which I'd say is 50/50.

Assuming USC and TCU win out, but then LSU beats Georgia in the Champ Game, does that mean a 2-loss LSU team gets in ahead of USC? Tbh that'd be kinda unfair if you ask me that LSU gets to go in in that case, but I think the Committee would do it.

It's tough for Ohio State but certainly not impossible. They'd probably need LSU to lose, and for at least 1 of USC/TCU to lose in the coming weeks. Then it might come down to Ohio State or even Alabama who surprisingly are still in the running at #7 now (though I think they shouldn't be) 

But assuming everyone wins out, it feels like the CFP will already be set.

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. TCU (currently up 34-7 in their game)
4. USC (play #13 Notre Dame tonight)

Ohio State I assume will go to #6 unless if USC loses tonight, then maybe #5 while LSU moves to #4 for the time being. The SEC Championship Game could have real repercussions regarding that 4th spot. I do think Georgia, Michigan and TCU are virtual locks, and it's between LSU, USC, Ohio State and Alabama for the last spot (LSU & USC pretty much control their own destinies though)

« Reply #291 on: November 26, 2022, 06:44:28 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Assuming USC and TCU win out, but then LSU beats Georgia in the Champ Game, does that mean a 2-loss LSU team gets in ahead of USC? Tbh that'd be kinda unfair if you ask me that LSU gets to go in in that case, but I think the Committee would do it.

It's tough for Ohio State but certainly not impossible. They'd probably need LSU to lose, and for at least 1 of USC/TCU to lose in the coming weeks. Then it might come down to Ohio State or even Alabama who surprisingly are still in the running at #7 now (though I think they shouldn't be) 

1. Georgia
2. Michigan

Ohio State I assume will go to #6 unless if USC loses tonight, then maybe #5 while LSU moves to #4 for the time being. The SEC Championship Game could have real repercussions regarding that 4th spot. I do think Georgia, Michigan and TCU are virtual locks, and it's between LSU, USC, Ohio State and Alabama for the last spot (LSU & USC pretty much control their own destinies though)
As a Bama fan, I don't see any way they get in.  The committee isn't going to rank them over a 1-loss OSU.  A 2-loss SEC champ LSU who has beaten Georgia and Bama versus a 1-loss Pac-12 champ USC would be an interesting discussion. 2-loss LSU is currently ranked ahead of 1-loss USC. 

« Reply #292 on: November 26, 2022, 10:18:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

1. Georgia
2. Michigan

As a Bama fan, I don't see any way they get in.  The committee isn't going to rank them over a 1-loss OSU.  A 2-loss SEC champ LSU who has beaten Georgia and Bama versus a 1-loss Pac-12 champ USC would be an interesting discussion. 2-loss LSU is currently ranked ahead of 1-loss USC.

No need for the discussion it seems. LSU down 15 currently. If USC hangs on tonight and wins next week they are definitely in

« Reply #293 on: November 26, 2022, 11:00:45 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Pretty entertaining weekend.

Georgia & Michigan are playoff locks no matter what happens next weekend.  I would think TCU is in no matter what but who knows what happens if they were happened to get lit up in title game.  USC wins & they’re in. Ohio State needs help.  Not sure anyone else is in play. 

Although if TCU gets absolutely destroyed and USC loses, then you probably have some drama with Ohio State sliding in and SEC debate.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #294 on: November 26, 2022, 11:42:13 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

1. Georgia
2. Michigan

No need for the discussion it seems. LSU down 15 currently. If USC hangs on tonight and wins next week they are definitely in
And if USC loses next week then OSU will get the 4th spot.  Can't believe I'm going to be rooting for USC. 

« Reply #295 on: November 27, 2022, 07:31:02 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
yeah I be rooting for USC so Ohio state can’t get in
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #296 on: November 27, 2022, 10:27:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
If TCU or USC lose it will be very interesting what the committee does. 

« Reply #297 on: November 27, 2022, 10:41:59 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
My guess at what the rankings will be:

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. TCU
4. USC
5. Ohio State
6. Alabama

And these are the remaining teams in play for the CFP. Everyone below 6 is out of the running.

I will say though, it'll be interesting to see what they decide about who should be 5 and 6, as the team that's 5 will probably have a chance to make it IF USC loses next week (and/or TCU gets blown out badly in a loss). I think it should definitely be Ohio State, but if they put Alabama at 5 then tbh that tells me what ESPN and the Committee wants (which is for Alabama to still have a chance to get in).

I mean the previous week I thought USC would be 5 and LSU 6 but it was the opposite, they put LSU 5 even though USC had a much more impressive win that week 

Forgive me if I still have my doubts about "fairness" since it's obvious ESPN/CFP loves SEC teams

« Reply #298 on: November 27, 2022, 02:10:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
 I'm sad Fickell is leaving Cincinnati for Wisconsin.  Was hoping after he passed on notre Dame last year he was going to be at UC until OSU opened.

« Reply #299 on: November 27, 2022, 02:28:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Ohio State is 5th in AP poll.  I'm guessing they will jump both TCU or USC if they lose.  They will have a better loss and better wins over both those schools.  Penn State being at 8 is really big in that equation and ND is still ranked as well. TCU will have lost to Kansas State and its best win is Texas.  I don’t think that is better than OSU without the conference championship to set them apart.