Author Topic: Biggest Celtics “what if”  (Read 3757 times)

Biggest Celtics “what if”
« on: August 07, 2022, 12:02:37 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
What if Gordon Hayward never lands awkwardly and breaks his leg on 2017-2018 opening night? How are things different today? How have things played out the last five years?

I think that team, if they stayed healthy would’ve won at least one a back to back championship, in 2019/2020, I think they would’ve been able to take out the Raptors and hobbled Warriors. In 2020 they definitely make it over Miami, and end up in a long series with the Lakers for the title.

The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Biggest Celtics “what if”
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 12:14:45 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Len Bias
What if we draft Kobe or Giannis
What if KG doesn't hurt his knee
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 12:22:38 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Len Bias
What if we draft Kobe or Giannis
What if KG doesn't hurt his knee
Yeah, biggest what if in the history of sports (never mind the Celtics) is Len Bias.  Lock thread.

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 12:42:38 PM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
What if Gordon Hayward never lands awkwardly and breaks his leg on 2017-2018 opening night? How are things different today? How have things played out the last five years?

I think that team, if they stayed healthy would’ve won at least one a back to back championship, in 2019/2020, I think they would’ve been able to take out the Raptors and hobbled Warriors. In 2020 they definitely make it over Miami, and end up in a long series with the Lakers for the title.

I don't think we're that much better than the team we end up with, tbh. We probably trade Tatum and Brown because Ainge doesn't leave, and Kyrie probably still melts down.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 12:43:34 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

C's beat Lakers in 2020 for title. We smacked them in the regular season, and nearly took them out at Staples in the rematch. We had a lot of bigs to throw at Davis.

But ya 17/18, Hayward stays healthy 82 games...we'd beat LeBron's 4th seeded Cavs and push the Warriors to 7 games possibly winning it too.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 12:52:27 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
What if Larry Bird didn't work on his mother's driveway in 1985, when he hurt his back.

What if Kevin Garnett doesn't injure his knee in Utah. I still believe that team would have won 3 titles in a row.

Len Bias and Gordon Hayward are also great examples.

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 01:06:44 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This thread is depressing

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 01:15:37 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Len Bias is no doubt #1

Bird hurt his back…KG getting hurt & Perkins in 2010, would had won 3 straight championships
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2022, 07:50:22 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
I remember sadly getting an early morning phone call at work from a fellow Celtics fan with the terrible news about Bias.  No doubt in mind the greatest "what if" has to be Lenny Bias.  So sad...
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2022, 07:59:44 PM »

Offline G-Bones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 89
What if the refs call the game fairly in Game 7 in the 2010 finals.  And, of course, Len Bias.  Those wounds will never heal.

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2022, 08:22:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I honestly don't think the C's with Irving and Hayward ends up much different as neither of those guys is a carry the franchise type player and they both probably still aren't on the team.

Bias is always #1 and I think not getting Duncan with the best odds will always be #2.

There are a couple around the summer of 2007 and the 07/08 season, that I think could have altered Boston's history a lot.  First, what if the ping pong balls don't land on 5 and instead land on 1 or 2?  Do they still acquire Allen or Garnett, or just build around Durant or Oden (with Pierce, Rondo, etc.)?  Second, let's say the ping pong balls still land on 5 and the Allen trade is still made, but what if they don't acquire Garnett and instead go into the season with Big Al, Allen, and Pierce and instead use some of those assets to acquire Pau during the season, likely keeping Al in the process.  How many titles do the C's win with Allen, Pierce, Jefferson, and Gasol (obviously the Lakers don't land Pau in that scenario)?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2022, 08:32:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I honestly don't think the C's with Irving and Hayward ends up much different as neither of those guys is a carry the franchise type player and they both probably still aren't on the team.

Bias is always #1 and I think not getting Duncan with the best odds will always be #2.

There are a couple around the summer of 2007 and the 07/08 season, that I think could have altered Boston's history a lot.  First, what if the ping pong balls don't land on 5 and instead land on 1 or 2?  Do they still acquire Allen or Garnett, or just build around Durant or Oden (with Pierce, Rondo, etc.)?  Second, let's say the ping pong balls still land on 5 and the Allen trade is still made, but what if they don't acquire Garnett and instead go into the season with Big Al, Allen, and Pierce and instead use some of those assets to acquire Pau during the season, likely keeping Al in the process.  How many titles do the C's win with Allen, Pierce, Jefferson, and Gasol (obviously the Lakers don't land Pau in that scenario)?
When you're a fan of a team the "what ifs" go in the direction of positivity and success.

What if Bias doesn't die....Celtic greatness.
What if Buckner fields the ball cleanly ....Red Sox curse ends
What if Orr never hurts his knee....Bruins greatness
What if David Tyree can't hold onto that catch ...perfect season.

Your what ifs in the reverse direction, and a ton of other stuff you write, really make me wonder where the fan in you is. Normal fans don't think what if x happened and we lost that title. It's just strange

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2022, 08:36:59 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
What if Shaq doesn’t tear his achilles.
Greg

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2022, 08:49:32 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
What if Jayson Tatum avoids injury and keeps his upward trajectory while growing from a top 9-12 player to a top 3-4 over the next year or two?

Multiple titles?

I like thinking about the future and not living in the past.

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2022, 08:50:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

When you're a fan of a team the "what ifs" go in the direction of positivity and success.

What if Bias doesn't die....Celtic greatness.
What if Buckner fields the ball cleanly ....Red Sox curse ends
What if Orr never hurts his knee....Bruins greatness
What if David Tyree can't hold onto that catch ...perfect season.

Your what ifs in the reverse direction, and a ton of other stuff you write, really make me wonder where the fan in you is. Normal fans don't think what if x happened and we lost that title. It's just strange
Easy to see how that leads to way more than 1 title though?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip