Author Topic: Inside Track On Luka?  (Read 2088 times)

Inside Track On Luka?
« on: August 03, 2022, 07:46:20 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
One would have to think the Dallas Mavericks are on the clock with Luka Doncic.

This off-season has been nothing short of a disaster.

From losing a key player in Jalen Brunson for nothing, to rebuffing Goran Dragic due to their belief he was past it. They’ve foolishly already told JaVale McGee he is the starting center and look to be one major injury away from regressing to lottery team.

I am curious who people believe has the best chance of trading for Luka, if he becomes disgruntled?

5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Inside Track On Luka?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 07:51:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I think the Mavericks will actually be better.  They will have Hardaway back, but Wood was a huge addition.  I think he will make a big difference for them. 

Doncic, Hardaway, Bullock, Finney-Smith, Wood is a pretty solid starting 5.  Dinwiddie, Powell, Bertans, Kleber, McGee, Green is a better bench then they had last year
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 08:17:23 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
I don't think he'll ever miss the playoffs with a healthy Luka.

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 08:59:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Luka is NGA....Not Going Anywhere

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 09:09:24 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

Nope. He is the franchise.

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 09:15:39 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Yeah, Wood was a fantastic addition for them this offseason. Add Tim Hardway Jr back and Dinwiddie with a full training camp under his belt, the Mavs are going to be better this season. I don't really see Brunson as a big loss for them at all. He didn't bring anything that they don't already have at that position.

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 09:32:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Nope. He is the franchise.

Until LeBron leaves the Lakers .

As always they target the best player to pare with Davis.   I guarantee you they are already setting their sights on him. 

It all up to him ,  like AD , if he decides to go somewhere , he’s going. They ‘d really better suck up to Luka or they will be out of Lucka.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 09:59:06 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I agree that the rest of their team is decent, but they definitely don't have any other all-star caliber players. Heck, I don't think they have any players better than Brogdon and he isn't even starting for us.

Luka is an incredible player and perhaps this heliocentric offense with solid defense is the best thing for them, but it seems they could really use some more upper-end off-ball talent. Who knows, maybe Wood is that guy. And at least they have Dinwiddie to play Brunson's role.

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 11:19:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I agree that the rest of their team is decent, but they definitely don't have any other all-star caliber players. Heck, I don't think they have any players better than Brogdon and he isn't even starting for us.

Luka is an incredible player and perhaps this heliocentric offense with solid defense is the best thing for them, but it seems they could really use some more upper-end off-ball talent. Who knows, maybe Wood is that guy. And at least they have Dinwiddie to play Brunson's role.
They feel a lot like the Cavs with Lebron his first go around.  I think they can be a bit overall even with Luka not being Lebron, but if they win a title it will feel a bit flukey (like the Dirk Mavs). 

That said, I think they've set themselves up pretty well to eventually get that 2nd player they will really need next to Luka.

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 02:14:05 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
All valid points, but while Dallas did come 4th in the western conference last season, they will face a much more competitive west this upcoming year.

Denver will have Porter & Murray back, Minnesota now have Golbert, New Orleans were without Zion last season and Clippers duo of Leonard & George missed all or most of last season.

That’s 4 teams all with the potential to jump Dallas, and IMO Christian Woods isn’t someone who moves the needle. Woods’ defensive mentality is non-existent and his ego will be hard to keep in check, especially during a contract season.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2022, 09:05:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
All valid points, but while Dallas did come 4th in the western conference last season, they will face a much more competitive west this upcoming year.

Denver will have Porter & Murray back, Minnesota now have Golbert, New Orleans were without Zion last season and Clippers duo of Leonard & George missed all or most of last season.

That’s 4 teams all with the potential to jump Dallas, and IMO Christian Woods isn’t someone who moves the needle. Woods’ defensive mentality is non-existent and his ego will be hard to keep in check, especially during a contract season.
I don't disagree that the Nuggets and Clippers are obviously going to be much better teams such that the Mavs might actually not finish 4th and could still in fact be a better team.

I'd put the Mavs in the 2nd group of contenders

Favorites - Warriors, Clippers
Secondary contenders - Mavericks, Nuggets, Grizzlies
If it all breaks right they could surprise - Suns, Wolves, Pelicans, Lakers

That doesn't necessarily mean that will be the order of the standings, because I do still expect the Suns to win a lot of regular season games (while I expect the Clippers to rest their guys a lot diminishing their regular season record), I just don't think they have the top talent you need to really win in the post season.