Author Topic: Rumored NYK / LAL / Utah trade discussions  (Read 3418 times)

Rumored NYK / LAL / Utah trade discussions
« on: August 05, 2022, 12:15:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Lakers had conversations about joining the Jazz and Knicks a few weeks ago in a potential three-team trade, league sources told HoopsHype. The proposed three-team trade scenario included Russell Westbrook going to Utah and getting bought out. Utah would send Donovan Mitchell to the Knicks, a combination of two players, including Patrick Beverley and Jordan Clarkson, Bojan Bogdanovic or Malik Beasley to the Lakers, and the Jazz would receive significant draft pick compensation from the Knicks and Lakers. The Knicks also would’ve had to part with veteran salary filler(s), such as Derrick Rose to help make the salaries work.

Since we're all bored, is their a framework there that makes sense?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Rumored NYK / LAL / Utah trade discussions
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 12:19:23 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
The only thing that isn’t clear to me is why LA gets involved for just Utah players.  Westbrook and picks to Utah for some combination of Beasley, Bogdanovic, Beverley, and Clarkson doesn’t have to involve NY at all.  It makes more sense if LA is getting Fournier or Rose as well.

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 12:35:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
The only thing that isn’t clear to me is why LA gets involved for just Utah players.  Westbrook and picks to Utah for some combination of Beasley, Bogdanovic, Beverley, and Clarkson doesn’t have to involve NY at all.  It makes more sense if LA is getting Fournier or Rose as well.

LA is dumping Westbrook. They'll be lucky to get anything back.

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 12:44:33 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
This make sense.
Danny wants so many picks (protections etc) and two separate deals doesn't get him those.
LA is offering X + 1/2 pick value and NY is offering Y + 1/2 pick value.
Rose gets included to LA and they send X+1 picks and NY send Y.

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 01:03:41 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Can they match salaries with only 2 players going out of Utah? It sounds like LA would only want to bring in 2, so that could mean a 3rd team has to get involved (assuming Beverly is one of the guys LA wants, otherwise Beasley and Bogdanovich is close enough to matching that an easier deal could be found).

Utah would send Donovan Mitchell to the Knicks, a combination of two players, including Patrick Beverley and Jordan Clarkson, Bojan Bogdanovic or Malik Beasley to the Lakers

Even if they are willing to bring in more players, if they can cut down the amount of salary they bring in in a deal (and ultimately the tax they pay this year), that could be a motivation for them.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 01:16:31 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Wow Danny & his fascination with picks..plus why help the lakers??
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 01:20:01 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
For the same reason. Helping LA in the short term doesn't hurt. Time LA's implosion to when the picks come due. Or trade that future possibility for more current picks.

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 01:22:50 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I think to work, it would have to be something more like this:

Utah:
Out    Mitchell (to NYK), Beasley (to LAL)
In      Westbrook, Picks, Picks, Picks....

LAL:
Out    Westbrook and Picks (to UTA)
In      Beasley, Rose, Fournier

NYK:
Out    Rose + Fournier (LAL), Picks, Picks, Picks (to NYK)
In      Mitchell

The issue is that NYK cannot take in Mitchell without sending out comparable salary.  That is why Rose and Fournier need to go to LAL.  And it makes sense for LAL to take these players.  I would expect that NKY would provide the majority of the picks.  Utah only needs to send out one player in addition to Mitchell to match Westbrook, they can do two as well and it still works, depending on exactly which two.  I just picked Beasley as he made some sense for the Lakers.  For example sending both Bogdanovich and Clarkson was too much for the Lakers to take back (assuming they have to take Rose and Fournier).  Beasley can't be traded with other players until Aug 30.  I think the report may have mixed up that it is 2 to the Lakers from NYK and only one from UTA to the Lakers.

This actually makes some sense for all teams.   I am a little surprised that UTA would take Westbrook but if it gets them more picks, I guess that is their goal.  I think this works for all teams.

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 01:29:24 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Wonder where Westbrook would go if he was bought out. I could see OKC as part of the rebuild my value through sheer force of will revenge tour.

In terms of a contender, Maybe Dallas to recoup some of the lost Jalen Brunson value. Portland to get more help around Lillard. Orlando if they think that Markelle Fultz is a lost cause.

Players around the league still respect for Westbrook even if the rest of us think he is a net negative.

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 01:33:26 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

By trading Donovan, Utah would be going into rebuild mode. Picks are important in rebuilds.

As far as helping the Lakers... Because it's a business? Danny is an executive and can't get caught up in trivial rivalries. He has to take the best deal out there. If that deal includes LA, he'll take it because that's his job.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2022, 01:57:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Well LA and Utah could just make the trade without the Knicks, something like Russ, 27 for Beasley, Clarkson, Beverley does work financially, but Utah would still then need to move Mitchell separately to the Knicks, which means they'd take back a lot more long term salary like Rose and Fournier (and of course picks) for Mitchell but if you combine it, Utah could get out of a lot of salary

Utah - Westbrook, Toppin, Quickley, 27 LAL, 3 or 4 NY 1st's
LAL - Beasley, Fournier, Rose
NY - Mitchell, Clarkson

That makes a lot more sense for Utah in that they have no long term contracts from mediocre veterans going to them and get rid of 2 such contracts (Clarkson, Beasley).  They buy out Westbrook and move on in rebuilding.  The Knicks get the star they've been looking for for mostly future draft capital, while the Lakers move on from Westbrook and pick up 3 serviceable players to surround James and Davis.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2022, 02:58:40 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
Wonder where Westbrook would go if he was bought out. I could see OKC as part of the rebuild my value through sheer force of will revenge tour.

In terms of a contender, Maybe Dallas to recoup some of the lost Jalen Brunson value. Portland to get more help around Lillard. Orlando if they think that Markelle Fultz is a lost cause.

Players around the league still respect for Westbrook even if the rest of us think he is a net negative.

I actually think there will be more interest in Westbrook amongst contending teams than people would think (IF he is traded and bought out). I could see Miami, Philly, Dallas, Phoenix, Denver all having interest. MIA would actually be a pretty good fit for Russ imo.

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2022, 03:14:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I actually think there will be more interest in Westbrook amongst contending teams than people would think (IF he is traded and bought out). I could see Miami, Philly, Dallas, Phoenix, Denver all having interest. MIA would actually be a pretty good fit for Russ imo.

I was thinking Miami, as well, when thinking of contenders who might be able to use him.  But as always with Russ, it depends on how much he buys in.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2022, 03:22:45 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I think Westbrook would make all of those teams worse. Agreed on several of those contenders wanting to sign him though. They'll regret it but they'll have to learn the hard way.

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2022, 03:36:12 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

I was thinking Miami, as well, when thinking of contenders who might be able to use him.  But as always with Russ, it depends on how much he buys in.

Miami does seem like the obvious fit doesn't it, particularly with how often Lowry is finding himself hurt. I would imagine Westbrook would survive the Pat Reily Bodyfat standards.