Author Topic: Soto traded to Padres  (Read 8932 times)

Re: Soto traded to Padres
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2022, 08:46:48 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The Padres have been going for it.  I'm still not sure this puts them in the same class as the Dodgers, but it's a strong move.

Meanwhile, the Red Sox pinch pennies.
the Sox on opening day had the 6th highest payroll in major league baseball. the owners have consistently shown they are not cheap.

http://www.stevetheump.com/Payrolls.htm

of course, that does not mean that the latest set of moves are good. i mean Pham? probably the most disliked guy in baseball with a record of being stabbed, choking people, and being a grade A a--hole? impressive for an aging player who can no longer hit. i have no idea why the traded for him...unless some sort of prospect is stapled to him.

reese mcguirie...he may be very bad at hitting a baseball and a public masturbator....but at least he's cheap! ($772K with 3 more arb years.)

this is not my favorite sox season....but the ownership is not cheap.

Compared to their revenue and valuation, they’re cheap.
and here i thought the amount spent on the team was the way to measure investment in the team.

Relative to resources, yes.

The third richest team having the sixth highest payroll isn’t impressive to me.
Accorrding to spotrac, the Celtics have the 11th highest total cap salary for the season.  As the 5th most valuable franchise, shouldn't they do better and use things like the big TPE if that is case?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Soto traded to Padres
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2022, 08:57:49 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Padres have been going for it.  I'm still not sure this puts them in the same class as the Dodgers, but it's a strong move.

Meanwhile, the Red Sox pinch pennies.
the Sox on opening day had the 6th highest payroll in major league baseball. the owners have consistently shown they are not cheap.

http://www.stevetheump.com/Payrolls.htm

of course, that does not mean that the latest set of moves are good. i mean Pham? probably the most disliked guy in baseball with a record of being stabbed, choking people, and being a grade A a--hole? impressive for an aging player who can no longer hit. i have no idea why the traded for him...unless some sort of prospect is stapled to him.

reese mcguirie...he may be very bad at hitting a baseball and a public masturbator....but at least he's cheap! ($772K with 3 more arb years.)

this is not my favorite sox season....but the ownership is not cheap.

Compared to their revenue and valuation, they’re cheap.
and here i thought the amount spent on the team was the way to measure investment in the team.

Relative to resources, yes.

The third richest team having the sixth highest payroll isn’t impressive to me.
Accorrding to spotrac, the Celtics have the 11th highest total cap salary for the season.  As the 5th most valuable franchise, shouldn't they do better and use things like the big TPE if that is case?

The Celts have the 5th highest payroll (before luxury tax) this season, and they'll reach 4th once they sign at least two other guys to fill out the roster.  By the end of the season, they'll most likely be in 3rd.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/

"Total cap" takes into account cap holds.  Thus, the Wizards have the 6th highest total cap -- even though they're below the luxury tax -- because theoretically they have a cap hold for Ian Mahinmi and could sign him to a $23 million per year contract, etc.  Same thing with the Twolves and their $27 million cap hold for Evan Turner, etc., etc.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes