Author Topic: Noah Vonleh is coming to training camp  (Read 11295 times)

Re: Noah Vonleh is coming to training camp
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2022, 05:49:20 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Am I the only one who thinks Vonleh's destiny could be anything between cut before the season and fill-in starter for Horford?

That’s about right, although I think my money is on cut before the guarantee date.

« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2022, 08:02:46 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Am I the only one who thinks Vonleh's destiny could be anything between cut before the season and fill-in starter for Horford?

That’s about right, although I think my money is on cut before the guarantee date.

This reminds me of the Jabari Parker signing. Brad is taking a flier on an ex first rounder who was highly touted out of high school.

« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2022, 10:32:13 PM »

Offline NHHillbilly

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20

No you are not the only one. I think Vonleh has a 10% chance of being as good as Evan Turner was on the Celtics. They guy has size and some talent he needs to focus on his role. Celtics seem to be able to do that and get the most out of role players.

« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2022, 12:37:51 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

This reminds me of the Jabari Parker signing. Brad is taking a flier on an ex first rounder who was highly touted out of high school.

Jabari Parker is a good comp for this situation. I got burned by defending Jabari and thinking he could turn his career around in Boston. Was convinced that we were picking up a stud off the scrap heap and it was a brilliant move.

I'm not going to stick my neck out so far for Vonleh but I will at least say that I believe he can become a legitimate rotation player for this team. I'm rooting for to emerge as the 3rd big but also wont be surprised in the slightest if he is cut before the season.

« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2022, 12:42:10 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Jabari Parker is a good comp for this situation. I got burned by defending Jabari and thinking he could turn his career around in Boston. Was convinced that we were picking up a stud off the scrap heap and it was a brilliant move.

I'm not going to stick my neck out so far for Vonleh but I will at least say that I believe he can become a legitimate rotation player for this team. I'm rooting for to emerge as the 3rd big but also wont be surprised in the slightest if he is cut before the season.

I have slightly higher hopes for Vonleh than Parker because Vonleh lacked the massive injury history of Parker, and Vonleh’s skills fit into a role the Celtics have use for.  That said, I don’t think he’s a rotation player.  He’s a DNP any night we’re not down one of Rob and Horford, which will hopefully be most nights.

« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2022, 07:47:01 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Vonleh will be 27 by the time the season starts.  He will be 4 years removed from the season with the Knicks where he played 68 games, started 57, and demonstrated legitimate NBA ability.  Since that season though, he has done pretty much nothing and ended up in China (I know people know the background but I am just setting the stage).

I really like the pick up and giving him a chance.  I am predicting that we get a player that gives us maybe 10 min on a regular basis when everyone is healthy but who will be asked to play more on nights that Horford or RWill are out.  I am hopeful that he can handle this role.  He has demonstrated that he can play at this level in the NBA as he did with the Knicks over an entire season.  There should be no issue with age or injury history or anything like that.

After a year in China, you would expect that he would be ready to do whatever it takes, play whatever role he is asked to play, in order to stay in the NBA.  We'll see.

« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2022, 12:53:09 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

No you are not the only one. I think Vonleh has a 10% chance of being as good as Evan Turner was on the Celtics. They guy has size and some talent he needs to focus on his role. Celtics seem to be able to do that and get the most out of role players.
I like the Turner comp in terms of potential impact.

Vonleh could be anything from Jabari Parker to Evan Turner for the Celtics.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2022, 01:04:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

In actuality, he could be anything from not on the roster to Evan Turner, in regards to impact. There's no guarantee he makes this team.

« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2022, 06:16:54 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

In actuality, he could be anything from not on the roster to Evan Turner, in regards to impact. There's no guarantee he makes this team.

Even if he ends up being cut, he still has one of the coolest names out of the bunch

« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2022, 10:20:13 PM »

Online #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Vonleh did not look NBA quality in the highlights I saw. He has a good frame and is a good passer and ballhandler as a big, he just looks slow and lacks the physicality to overcome it. I wish him good luck.

Caboclo is the best non-Gallinari big pickup of the offseason. He jumps off the screen on offense and defense. He looks strong, athletic, and his lateral movement is fluid; the change from wing to big has suited him well.

If he can grasp the system, it’ll be a turning point in his career and a great pickup.

« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2022, 08:33:17 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
This could be a good pickup along with Brogdan, Gallinari & Kabengele..finally getting a decent looking bench
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2022, 09:57:29 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
This could be a good pickup along with Brogdan, Gallinari & Kabengele..finally getting a decent looking bench
That’s the way I see it too.
Vonleh did not look NBA quality in the highlights I saw. He has a good frame and is a good passer and ballhandler as a big, he just looks slow and lacks the physicality to overcome it.
Maybe he’s better off sticking to low-post play. I hope Ime can incorporate that into a change-of-pace look off the bench.