Author Topic: Noah Vonleh is coming to training camp  (Read 11313 times)

Re: Noah Vonleh is coming to training camp
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2022, 09:56:15 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I seem to recall some posters here were hot to get this guy in that draft.  let's see what he's got
He was considered one of those 'upside' guys at the time coming out of Indiana. I agree, this is the type of roll-the- dice signing you go for when your rotation is pretty much in place and you've got a couple of open roster spots.

It's now or never for him at age 26. If he finally puts it together and plays well, there should be minutes available. If not, they move on and he heads overseas again.  This is likely his last chance in the NBA.

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2022, 10:11:10 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Vonleh's got skills. much moreso than Caboclo. If he's figured it out, he could be a decent backup 4/5 on this team.

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2022, 10:16:03 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Vonleh is a local kid, which is pretty cool. He was born is Salem, MA and went to Haverhill High School. Is now 26 years old.

Last year for the Shanghai Sharks, he played 25mpg and averaged: 15pts, 10rebs, 2.3ast, 2stls, 1.5blks, while shooting 44% from the field, 38% from 3pt and 73% from the line. I’m slightly intrigued.

The Chinese league is pretty far below the big European leagues, isn’t it? Only getting 25 mpg seems to mean he didn’t start, or if he did he only earned short minutes.

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2022, 10:35:22 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Great signing.

I read somewhere that Boston would consider Nerlens Noel if he was bought out/traded for cheap at the deadline by Detroit.

Vonleh and Noel are fairly similar players so not sure if this helps or hurts that concept.

Would be very happy if he makes the team. Hard nosed player, decent shooter, local guy. Best of luck to him.

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2022, 10:37:10 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Vonleh is a local kid, which is pretty cool. He was born is Salem, MA and went to Haverhill High School. Is now 26 years old.

Last year for the Shanghai Sharks, he played 25mpg and averaged: 15pts, 10rebs, 2.3ast, 2stls, 1.5blks, while shooting 44% from the field, 38% from 3pt and 73% from the line. I’m slightly intrigued.

The Chinese league is pretty far below the big European leagues, isn’t it? Only getting 25 mpg seems to mean he didn’t start, or if he did he only earned short minutes.

That doesn’t raise any flags.  It’s the same amount of minutes that Jah Okafor and Jared Sullinger got.  (Not that they’re great, either, but an American big getting half-time minutes in China isn’t unusual).

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2022, 10:41:03 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

That doesn’t raise any flags.  It’s the same amount of minutes that Jah Okafor and Jared Sullinger got.  (Not that they’re great, either, but an American big getting half-time minutes in China isn’t unusual).

Wouldn't mind seeing Brad take a flier on Sullinger either. His main issue was his weight and conditioning.

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2022, 11:08:02 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

Wouldn't mind seeing Brad take a flier on Sullinger either. His main issue was his weight and conditioning.

I miss Sully. I think he'd be great as a 3rd option guy off the bench now. I remember him getting those 10/10 a night in the PP/KG final year/early IT4 days

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2022, 11:08:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Keith Smith @KeithSmithNBA
about 54 minutes ago
Noah Vonleh's deal with the Boston Celtics is not an Exhibit 10 contract, a source tells @celticsblog. Vonleh is going to camp with Boston with a real chance to make the regular season roster.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2022, 11:17:31 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

I miss Sully. I think he'd be great as a 3rd option guy off the bench now. I remember him getting those 10/10 a night in the PP/KG final year/early IT4 days

Competition looks pretty lousy but he does look thin https://youtu.be/Rqojsbm0NOo

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2022, 11:25:33 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Nice. He was an alright bench big for a couple of years there. Curious to see how he goes.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2022, 11:31:38 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Competition looks pretty lousy but he does look thin https://youtu.be/Rqojsbm0NOo

Wow! He's so much thinner that he's practically unrecognizable. Good for Sully!

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2022, 11:34:41 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I'd love Sully back. Still only 30 years old and in better shape than he ever was here!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2022, 11:42:46 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Keith Smith @KeithSmithNBA
about 54 minutes ago
Noah Vonleh's deal with the Boston Celtics is not an Exhibit 10 contract, a source tells @celticsblog. Vonleh is going to camp with Boston with a real chance to make the regular season roster.

Well, duh, he’s got too much service time to be eligible for a 2-way contract, so of course it isn’t an Exhibit 10.  Thanks for the sources, Mr. Smith!

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2022, 11:57:25 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Huge hands.

Played pretty well for the Knicks a few seasons ago.

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2022, 12:01:35 AM »

Offline terra haute

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18

I'd love Sully back. Still only 30 years old and in better shape than he ever was here!

I was confused, thought it was going to be a Vonleh video and was thinking doesnt look like him (IU fan) and then realized because it sure didnt look like Sully either