Author Topic: 2023: Re-Return of ‘The King’?  (Read 2644 times)

2023: Re-Return of ‘The King’?
« on: July 29, 2022, 11:19:26 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I have noticed something interesting, the Cleveland Cavaliers have yet to sign Colin Sexton (restricted free agent) to a long term deal.

Looking at the Cavs future cap flexibility, they would have exactly $42,138,217 cap room for the 2023 free agency...almost exactly what LeBron James currently makes.

This seasons Los Angeles Lakers have all the telltale signs of a LeBron James escape:

✅ No draft picks
✅ Injury prone secondary star
✅ Internal drama
✅ All caused by James

A LeBron James return (again) to Cleveland can always be spun like he wants to retire a Cavalier and that it was something he always intended.

—————————

2023-24 Cleveland Cavaliers

Jarrett Allen
Evan Mobley
LeBron James
(free agent or trade)
Darius Garland

Lauri Markkanen

—————————

Would this core be an instant title contender?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 11:36:08 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: 2023: Re-Return of ‘The King’?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 11:40:46 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I have noticed something interesting, the Cleveland Cavaliers have yet to sign Colin Sexton (restricted free agent) to a long term deal.

Looking at the Cavs future cap flexibility, they would have exactly $42,138,217 cap room for the 2023 free agency...almost exactly what LeBron James currently makes.

This seasons Los Angeles Lakers have all the telltale signs of a LeBron James escape:

✅ No draft picks
✅ Injury prone secondary star
✅ Internal drama
✅ All caused by James

A LeBron James return (again) to Cleveland can always be spun like he wants to retire a Cavalier and that it was something he always intended.

—————————

Jarrett Allen
Evan Mobley
LeBron James
(free agent or trade)
Darius Garland

Lauri Markkanen

—————————

I think it entirely depends on what you think of lebrons aging. I personally saw a really big drop last year as he stat chased. He played some of the least effort defense I have seen since mark blount and stayed in games upping his point total so his overall stats still look good. I personally don’t think After next season he will be an all star caliber player at 39. If you believe he will be then yea that would be a contender. Will be very interesting to watch Lebron continue to age and if/when he becomes more of a role player.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 12:04:33 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Jarrett Allen
Evan Mobley
LeBron James
(free agent or trade)
Darius Garland

Lauri Markkanen

—————————

Probably not.

I see diminished returns in Garland and LeBron. Both guys need to monopolize the ball in order to maximize their individual games. So there will be significant drop-off when they have to share the ball.

Mobley and Jarrett Allen is a bad fit with LeBron. Jarrett Allen is a non-shooter. Mobility a poor shooter. That is very poor spacing for LeBron's driving game. Add in that LeBron is getting older and doesn't have as much athletic burst to blow by his defenders and his need for spacing in order to open up his game is only going to grow in the years ahead. Mobley would have to make massive improvements to his jump-shooting in order to fix this issue.

So no, I don't see this as a title contender. I like the individual talent levels but not the fit of those individual talents.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 12:52:02 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I could see a return to Miami as more likely. He would also have a greater chance of winning another ring there as he declines and lets other guys like Butler and Bam carry more of the load.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 01:18:39 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Cleveland are building a nice young team..they don’t need James to come in & mess things up
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 01:45:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
He said he really wants to play with curry so maybe he joins golden state.

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 02:38:52 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

I think it entirely depends on what you think of lebrons aging. I personally saw a really big drop last year as he stat chased. He played some of the least effort defense I have seen since mark blount and stayed in games upping his point total so his overall stats still look good. I personally don’t think After next season he will be an all star caliber player at 39. If you believe he will be then yea that would be a contender. Will be very interesting to watch Lebron continue to age and if/when he becomes more of a role player.

This could be a pretty interesting thread to look back on.

LeBron at 37 in '21-'22 just averaged 30/8/6/1/1 on 62% TS.  Some like you would say stat chasing on a losing team, while others might argue it was done trying to carry a weak team.

So what does a ring chasing LeBron put up on a contender in '23-'24 at age 39?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 03:34:49 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673
I guess if they draft his son

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022, 07:29:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
On a vet min deal?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2022, 07:48:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
On a vet min deal?

If we are talking about in 2 years, yea. He has basically already say he would do this to play with his son. So if his son is not in league wouldn’t surprise me.

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 07:59:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
On a vet min deal?

If we are talking about in 2 years, yea. He has basically already say he would do this to play with his son. So if his son is not in league wouldn’t surprise me.
I think his son is looking pretty decent now. Not top of class level good, but good enough to be in the NBA I reckon.

Wonder what the prospect of LeBron jumping to Bronny's prospective team does for his draft value

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2022, 08:07:50 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
On a vet min deal?

I think his son is looking pretty decent now. Not top of class level good, but good enough to be in the NBA I reckon.

Wonder what the prospect of LeBron jumping to Bronny's prospective team does for his draft value

His son is about 50th ranked in his class from what I understand and apparently has no interest in college. So he do a year in gleague or something. If we are talking strictly on merit most players ranked 50th in their class are not one and done prospects.

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2022, 09:12:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
On a vet min deal?

His son is about 50th ranked in his class from what I understand and apparently has no interest in college. So he do a year in gleague or something. If we are talking strictly on merit most players ranked 50th in their class are not one and done prospects.
Looking at the 247 composite rankings (i.e. a collection of several) he is 43rd. He was 34th just a month ago. I'm not sure where you see him not having an interest in college - he hasn't put out a school list, but is speculated to be interested in several.

Also, given LeBron said he'd do whatever it takes to play with Bronny, I think that boosts him up quite a bit.

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2022, 09:39:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
On a vet min deal?

Looking at the 247 composite rankings (i.e. a collection of several) he is 43rd. He was 34th just a month ago. I'm not sure where you see him not having an interest in college - he hasn't put out a school list, but is speculated to be interested in several.

Also, given LeBron said he'd do whatever it takes to play with Bronny, I think that boosts him up quite a bit.
https://deadspin.com/bronny-james-might-be-in-for-a-gap-year-if-the-nba-age-1849333644/amp

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2022, 09:43:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
On a vet min deal?

https://deadspin.com/bronny-james-might-be-in-for-a-gap-year-if-the-nba-age-1849333644/amp
I can't find anything in that entire article attributed to Bronny