Author Topic: Draft night trade prediction  (Read 3280 times)

Draft night trade prediction
« on: June 19, 2023, 08:31:51 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Rafael Barlowe had mentioned a couple of weeks ago that he was surprised that the Celtics have worked out a ton of prospects ranging in projection from un-drafted to late lottery. This peaked my interested but nothing else has been reported on higher ranked prospect workouts.

Today I read the below article from John Wasserman at bleacher report that mentions

"Teams and agents do not expect the Houston Rockets to keep the No. 20 pick. This would be a spot on the board where Houston would simply look for a future protected first-rounder in return." 

Reading the tea leaves I don't think its a stretch to speculate that Ime likes Pritchard and would be on board with the Rockets trading Pritchard and a future protected 1st (id prefer next seasons because of a projected weak class) for #20.

This is a great class to have picks 20 and 35 given the depth of talent in that range. I really done see a huge drop in talent from 10-20 with players like Leonard Miller or Kris Murray likely available.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10079067-2023-nba-draft-intel-the-ongoing-mystery-at-no-2-latest-rocketsharden-buzz
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Draft night trade prediction
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 09:27:43 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Is Kris Murray a Kyle Kuzma type player?

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 09:31:14 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I think you’re reading way too much into that.  The Celtics, as is true for many teams, work out guys outside their ranges for three reasons:  1) In case of a trade, 2) In case they fall during the draft, and 3) to have info about the player for a future trade or in free agency.

Sure, a trade is possible, because the Celtics are obviously making calls.  But these workouts are standard operating procedure.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 10:16:43 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Man, I would love to trade up for Kris Murray. He's a guy who fills a need and who I think can help right away.

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2023, 10:25:02 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I think you’re reading way too much into that.  The Celtics, as is true for many teams, work out guys outside their ranges for three reasons:  1) In case of a trade, 2) In case they fall during the draft, and 3) to have info about the player for a future trade or in free agency.

Sure, a trade is possible, because the Celtics are obviously making calls.  But these workouts are standard operating procedure.

Teams typically interview a range of players at the combine for the reasons you mention. However prospects do not typically take the time to travel and work out for teams outside their projected draft range. If Barlowe's reporting is correct and players projected to go just after the lottery are flying to Boston to workout then their agents have good reason to believe the Celtics are moving up into the first round.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2023, 10:27:06 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Reasonable speculation.  If what HOU wants is a future pick, to kind of spread things out, I am not sure that Pritchard would be what they want.

We have 11 contracts that are set, guaranteed.  Muscala is a team option (Jun 29 deadline) and Champagnie is non-guaranteed.  Grant, Griffin, Davison, and Kabengele are all FAs.  If we traded Pritchard for the pick, that would reduce the contracts to 10.

The #20 pick would probably fetch a player with more potential than Champagnie, Davison or Kabengele, but we would also pay more I think.  I don't think the #20 pick would be more useful in the short team than Muscala or Pritchard.

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2023, 11:10:37 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Man, I would love to trade up for Kris Murray. He's a guy who fills a need and who I think can help right away.

I agree, feels like a pipe dream but if the Cs are able to trade up Murray is unquestionably one of the most NBA ready prospects in this draft. His brother proved to be a 30mpg starter on a 48 win team. Just like his brother he brings to the team a great shooting stroke and an athletic 6'9 220lbs frame with just under a 7' WS. Where other players will be getting drafted at 18-20 years old and are 5+ years away from their NBA prime Murray will be almost 23. While older prospects typically have a limited ceiling a player like Murray who is coming in with few wholes in his game is a nice fit for a team looking to win now. He could be reaching is playing prime while still under the team control of his rookie contract. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2023, 11:24:46 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

I agree, feels like a pipe dream but if the Cs are able to trade up Murray is unquestionably one of the most NBA ready prospects in this draft. His brother proved to be a 30mpg starter on a 48 win team. Just like his brother he brings to the team a great shooting stroke and an athletic 6'9 220lbs frame with just under a 7' WS. Where other players will be getting drafted at 18-20 years old and are 5+ years away from their NBA prime Murray will be almost 23. While older prospects typically have a limited ceiling a player like Murray who is coming in with few wholes in his game is a nice fit for a team looking to win now. He could be reaching is playing prime while still under the team control of his rookie contract.

What?! 23yo for a guy who just finished his junior year.

Wow.

Why are the Murray brothers so old for their draft class? Did their parents hold them back so they could beat up on smaller dudes to improve their NBA chances like OJ Mayo's parents did with him. What is going on? Why are both so old?

So Kris Murray only got to play big minutes for the first time in college basketball when he was 22 years old. As much as 2-3-4 years older than most of the guys he was playing against. He could only manage 18mpg as a 21yo.

That is not good. That is a lot of extra physical development over your competition and he is only able to compete against them at a high level with that advantage. Not good.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 11:32:58 AM by Who »

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2023, 11:32:22 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
So Kris Murray shot 66% at the rim but only 47% FG%. What was he shooting on shots away from the basket? Only 32% on college 3s. What was he shooting on non-paint 2s?

Only shot 34% on catch and shoot this year. He did shoot 39% last year but on a much smaller sample size. Played only half as many minutes. Only half the shooting attempts.

Falls down to 29.6% on guarded 3s (good contests on closeouts). So dude needs to be wide wide open to have a chance of hitting his shot.

Kris Murray shot 73% on FTs last year. Okay number but not a number that makes you think he is a legit shooter. That he just had a down season from 3. Or non-paint 2s. He shot only 65% the season before on a small sample size. 70% over the two seasons. Not impressive FT% for a SF.

Sounds like this guy is a couple of years away from being a dependable enough shooter to play a role on a title contender. Good size, decent athlete, can defend some ... but that shot needs to be locked down for him to play regular minutes on a contender. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 11:43:51 AM by Who »

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2023, 11:43:19 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Ime loves Marcus Smart. Wondering if we could trade Smart for Eason, he would be perfect fit as our future power forward.  I am skeptical Rockets would make Eason available, given his defensive versatility that Ime craves.  Alternatively, trade Smart to them for Senguin (who has defensive limitations but is brilliant passer) and Garuba. Garuba has been pretty meh but still very young and has prototype body to play power forward and some small ball back up center.  Could replace Grant if we let him go.  Senguin could be a great zone breaker for Celtics, as he is a brilliant decision maker in the high post. His teammates are very selfish which I feel has curbed his growth to date.  He is Jokic lite, smaller, but with similar court vision, which is really in need for our squad.  I like Smart, but we have a glut at guard and feel that he has much more trade value than Brogdon.  And I prefer White to Smart.

I doubt Pritchard plus future protected 1 will get you the 20th pick. I could see Pritchard plus 35 getting you a pick at the end of the first round (say in range of 25-30), so if someone interesting slides, pull the trigger.

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2023, 11:51:47 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Ime loves Marcus Smart. Wondering if we could trade Smart for Eason, he would be perfect fit as our future power forward.  I am skeptical Rockets would make Eason available, given his defensive versatility that Ime craves. 

Does Eason really have that type of trade value?

I understand his defense is very impressive but his offensive game is very weak. Only 52.5% TS%. Low assist numbers. And he shoots too much for a guy with such bad shooting numbers. Even more often than Smart. Not quite 20% more often (per minute) but close.

He sounds very much a project type player to me. A defense-only guy for the time being. Someone who may become a solid rotation player for a contender with much work but is not currently one. A guy who only plays because he is on such a bad basketball team in Houston.

Not a guy worth giving up Marcus Smart on.

More like a Pritchard level talent. No, more valuable than that.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 11:58:51 AM by Who »

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2023, 01:43:38 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610

Oooof.....we want players with whole game.

Less holes, more of the whole!

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2023, 10:38:30 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Prediction:

Charlotte will draft Scoot Henderson at 2, trade him to Portland for their 3rd pick plus an additional pick.  Lillard will be traded, and Portland will start rebuild around Scoot.  Charlotte will take Miller at 3. 

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2023, 01:44:13 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Another trade though build out of loose rumor/speculation.

It has been reported that Lively had a recent workout with the Nets feeding speculation that the Nets will try to trade up to draft him in the lottery.

My trade thought

Celtics get Hardaway Jr +#22

Dallas gets Ayton

Suns get Brogdon + McGee + #21

Nets get #10 (draft Lively)

I would then add in a separate deal the possibility of a Grant S&T with Dallas for Christian Wood. I'm not sure exactly how S&Ts will work under the new CBA but this seems like a decent fit for both teams. Woods has his flaws but is a talented big man who could be a productive Celtic.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2023, 06:40:25 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
not sure this is the correct thread, but Dayton PF Toumani Camara has worked out with 17 nba teams, twice for the pacers and twice for the celtics.

he’s 6’8” has a 7’ wingspan and can guard 1-4 according to the reports on him. maybe not a draft candidate at #35, but if he goes undrafted maybe PBS signs him.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva