Author Topic: Grizzlies (2-1) at Celtics (2-1) Summer League Game #4 7/14/22  (Read 12937 times)

Re: Grizzlies (2-1) at Celtics (2-1) Summer League Game #4 7/14/22
« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2022, 06:37:58 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 983
This year's VSL team has more players than the Cs can absorb.

How many slots still available that could be filled by SL players?

Who are the top 5 keepers?

We have
8 holdovers
2 players acquired
2 internal signings
1 rookie signing (2-way)
13 signed

You have 16-17 slots to fill, excluding G-League. BS is still talking of signing a vet big, so you'd have 2-3 slots to fill and 6 guys to fill them.

Begarin
Ryan
Jackson
Kabengele
Thomas
Williams

Talking heads saying Jackson's going to make a 15-man roster (it could be elsewhere depending on money). I think Kabengele belongs on one too. Williams seems like a G-Leaguer to me at this point. Begarin could be on the roster or stashed another year. Ryan seems more likely for a 2-way or a G-League stint. Thomas is a 2-way or better. I don't see them all staying with the Cs.

Just want to slightly correct something.  Kornet is only $100k guaranteed through mid-August, so for all practical purposes we have four open roster spots, not three.  Certainly we won’t fill them all with guys from Summer League (at least I hope not), but there’s room for one more.

« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2022, 07:09:52 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174
I missed the game, but for those who watched, did Davison look as good as his box score?  28 points on 14 shots, 10 assists, 5 boards, only 3 turnovers?  Hard to imagine he couldn’t have looked amazing.

He really controlled the game!

« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2022, 07:24:02 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I missed the game, but for those who watched, did Davison look as good as his box score?  28 points on 14 shots, 10 assists, 5 boards, only 3 turnovers?  Hard to imagine he couldn’t have looked amazing.

Best single game of VSL by a Celtic. Night and day compared to Game 1. Still a 2-way to my eye. He needs to play.

Feeling good about the flyer BS took and NBA insiders hinting that Liam is considering whether he will retract his claim that Davison has no chance for the ROY,

« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2022, 07:28:37 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

We have
8 holdovers
2 players acquired
2 internal signings
1 rookie signing (2-way)
13 signed

You have 16-17 slots to fill, excluding G-League. BS is still talking of signing a vet big, so you'd have 2-3 slots to fill and 6 guys to fill them.

Begarin
Ryan
Jackson
Kabengele
Thomas
Williams

Talking heads saying Jackson's going to make a 15-man roster (it could be elsewhere depending on money). I think Kabengele belongs on one too. Williams seems like a G-Leaguer to me at this point. Begarin could be on the roster or stashed another year. Ryan seems more likely for a 2-way or a G-League stint. Thomas is a 2-way or better. I don't see them all staying with the Cs.

Just want to slightly correct something.  Kornet is only $100k guaranteed through mid-August, so for all practical purposes we have four open roster spots, not three.  Certainly we won’t fill them all with guys from Summer League (at least I hope not), but there’s room for one more.
So noted, but it's 3-4 slots then. There's a real possibility the Cs keep one open on the 15-man roster for a player acquisition or trade during the season. More driven by flexibility than money.

« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2022, 07:43:01 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

We have
8 holdovers
2 players acquired
2 internal signings
1 rookie signing (2-way)
13 signed

Begarin
Ryan
Jackson
Kabengele
Thomas
Williams

So noted, but it's 3-4 slots then. There's a real possibility the Cs keep one open on the 15-man roster for a player acquisition or trade during the season. More driven by flexibility than money.
Tend to agree, but would love to retain all of Ryan, Jackson, Kabengele, Thomas. Might end up with only two.

« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2022, 07:43:08 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Deleted comment.

« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2022, 07:49:56 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Nice Game JD and Jackson looks solid.

« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2022, 07:52:48 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 983

Best single game of VSL by a Celtic. Night and day compared to Game 1. Still a 2-way to my eye. He needs to play.

Feeling good about the flyer BS took and NBA insiders hinting that Liam is considering whether he will retract his claim that Davison has no chance for the ROY,

I’d rather he’s converted to an NBA deal.  He can spend the same amount of time in Maine as he would on a 2-way, and his service time clock starts with either.  That way he can get some playoff action in garbage time.

I’ve loved the pick since it was made, and I was really excited to see that box score, and disappointed I couldn’t have caught the game live.  I should check to see if there’s a re-airing.

« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2022, 07:54:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Yes ,  he is leader, like Smart and White another guy willing to get after it on defense , seems to be making the right play more times than not IMO .  Makes fast reads on the play as it develops .
Need to get a couple spots he can knock down the jumper , keep the defense honest.  .  Pretty good finishing a inside shot , lob , fast break. Can really leap for a guy his height too ….blocked a much bigger dudes shot straight up at the rim…..it was an amazing fast reaction and vertical.

« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2022, 09:10:29 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Yes ,  he is leader, like Smart and White another guy willing to get after it on defense , seems to be making the right play more times than not IMO .  Makes fast reads on the play as it develops .
Need to get a couple spots he can knock down the jumper , keep the defense honest.  .  Pretty good finishing a inside shot , lob , fast break. Can really leap for a guy his height too ….blocked a much bigger dudes shot straight up at the rim…..it was an amazing fast reaction and vertical.
Stoudamire might really help him improve. Davison's already adjusted to VSL game speed after a rough first game and seems to have plenty of athleticism and some playmaking ability already.

« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2022, 09:14:22 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Tom Westerholm:

Davison started by burying a 3-pointer — something he later told reporters he has been working on with his agent Mike Miller, the former NBA sharpshooter.

« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2022, 09:29:03 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Tom Westerholm:

Davison started by burying a 3-pointer — something he later told reporters he has been working on with his agent Mike Miller, the former NBA sharpshooter.

Learning from one of the best is always good.

« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2022, 09:46:00 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
So next up is a mini tournament right

« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2022, 09:46:37 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Yeah, are we in that?

« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2022, 09:59:27 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Yeah, are we in that?

No. The two best 3-1 teams in terms of point differential will play for the championship under the rules at the link below.. We most likely get a consolation game (where the guys who haven't played much would be given a chance to audition for a G-League or overseas spot, I would imagine.)

https://www.nba.com/news/mgm-resorts-nba-summer-league-format-summary