Author Topic: As is, are the Nets a title contender?  (Read 5671 times)

Re: As is, are the Nets a title contender?
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2022, 08:02:58 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
I don’t know how to project production for Ben Simmons and Kyrie. They are big time gambles at this point.

KD is not in the same boat, but I think it’s hard to predict how many games he will play. We already have an injury prone player in Rob Williams to worry about.

Bad trade- don’t do it!

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2022, 08:22:32 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I interpreted the question to be relative to as is, how good are the Nets:

It is unclear to me exactly what BNK has to work with.  I guess the starters might be:

Kyrie
Harris
Durant
Simmons
Claxton

With ONeale, Curry, Mills, Warren, Thomas

That is a pretty good team but to me, lacks that kind of blue collar size that is needed.  Someone mentioned that Myles Turner might be a good add.  I agree with that.  He could add a lot to their big rotation.  Dwight Howard might be helpful too.

But as they stand now, I don't think they are a final 4 type of team, which to me is a title contender.  Simmons is such a wild card though.  If they are able to get some bigs and Simmons does play to his full potential, this team no doubt could be a threat.  I just don't think they will.

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2022, 08:28:38 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
member when Ben Simmons and Embiid were a threat?

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2022, 08:58:17 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
member when Ben Simmons and Embiid were a threat?

;) ;) ;)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2022, 09:24:14 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
I mean sure, they could be. But how can anyone say for sure when no one knows what Kyrie and Simmons are thinking and how "available" they'll even be. Simmons hasn't played for nearly 1.5 years now. Kyrie is a mental case already. And I'm not even sure they have the coach who can help (Nash)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2022, 09:24:52 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 983
They’re a very loose contender.  Most lineups are going to feature two or three bad defenders.  Not below average, but bad, in Kyrie, Harris, Curry, and Mills.  On top of that, injuries are going to be a major concern, both throughout the regular season and postseason. Kevin Durant played 55 games last year, and that was the most of anyone in that proposed starting lineup.  (Yes, Kyrie’s absences were somewhat self-inflicted, but he’s played more than 60 games once in the last 5 seasons, so the point remains).

So yeah, while we always caveat “if a team can stay healthy”, it’s a much more relevant caveat with the Nets, and it extends to their bench, with a key reserve in TJ Warren having not played in two years.  They can score points, a lot of them, and perhaps that could be enough, especially if they also have a miraculous season in terms of health.  But between the high potential for simultaneous unavailability for several key players and the significant defensive shortcomings up and down their rotation, I don’t think they’re in the top 10 of potential contenders.

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2022, 09:55:30 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
They’re a very loose contender.  Most lineups are going to feature two or three bad defenders.  Not below average, but bad, in Kyrie, Harris, Curry, and Mills.  On top of that, injuries are going to be a major concern, both throughout the regular season and postseason. Kevin Durant played 55 games last year, and that was the most of anyone in that proposed starting lineup.  (Yes, Kyrie’s absences were somewhat self-inflicted, but he’s played more than 60 games once in the last 5 seasons, so the point remains).

So yeah, while we always caveat “if a team can stay healthy”, it’s a much more relevant caveat with the Nets, and it extends to their bench, with a key reserve in TJ Warren having not played in two years.  They can score points, a lot of them, and perhaps that could be enough, especially if they also have a miraculous season in terms of health.  But between the high potential for simultaneous unavailability for several key players and the significant defensive shortcomings up and down their rotation, I don’t think they’re in the top 10 of potential contenders.

Devil's advocate:  we beat the Nets by a total of 18 points over four games, including Game 1 at home that required a buzzer beater.  They've lost Bruce Brown from that team, but have added Simmons, Harris, O'Neale and Warren.

Outside of the Top 10 might be overselling things if the team gets focused?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2022, 10:09:37 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 983

Devil's advocate:  we beat the Nets by a total of 18 points over four games, including Game 1 at home that required a buzzer beater.  They've lost Bruce Brown from that team, but have added Simmons, Harris, O'Neale and Warren.

I get what you’re saying, but the playoffs are a grueling two months, and I don’t think that collection of players can make it through four rounds.  One round, against anyone, sure.  But not four rounds.

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2022, 11:03:33 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

1) We pounded the Nets. If we played 10 games, the Celtics would have won 9.

2) TJ Warren, Harris, and O'neale are additions for sure. Why are we to assume that Ben Simmons is going to add value to the Nets?

3) Steve Nash still isn't a good coach.

4) Their best player (KD) has requested a trade.

5) They are relying on Kyrie Irving. Combined with Simmons, they have the two least reliable players in the NBA.

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2022, 11:08:37 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

2) TJ Warren, Harris, and O'neale are additions for sure. Why are we to assume that Ben Simmons is going to add value to the Nets?

5) They are relying on Kyrie Irving. Combined with Simmons, they have the two least reliable players in the NBA.

#5 is the killer …two fruitcakes on the same squad

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2022, 11:19:46 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
They wouldn't be the favorite, probably behind both Bos and Mil odds wise in the east.

But it also wouldn't SHOCK me if they won it all. if Kyrie and Simmons just show up and play the whole year relatively healthy they could be very good.

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2022, 11:20:15 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

#5 is the killer …two fruitcakes on the same squad
Yup, and #3 is really important too. It's more than Nash just being totally mediocre as an X's and O's guy, he also has not proven that he can manage this team and its varied personalities. Then add on that this team doesn't have much experience playing with each other. ZERO for Simmons, Warren, O'Neale with their superstars.

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2022, 11:25:15 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I disagree.  If Game 1 goes differently, I don't know that we would have won the next nine.  A lot of those games were close.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2022, 02:52:15 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I disagree.  If Game 1 goes differently, I don't know that we would have won the next nine.  A lot of those games were close.
Hmmm...maybe. If the Nets can't win close games with Irving and Durant, then they are missing some fundamentals of a championship level squad, which is what this thread is all about. I see no reason why the C's could not have won that series in 5 if they lost the 1st game.

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2022, 08:11:55 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Marc Stein: Update: The Nets have moved into advanced discussions with free agent forward Markieff Morris as Brooklyn seeks to bolster its frontcourt, league sources say. My earlier around-the-league notes column: marcstein.substack.com/p/nba-notes-on… – via Twitter TheSteinLine

Michael Scotto: Sources: The Brooklyn Nets have signed forward Yuta Watanabe to a one-year, non-guaranteed deal @hoopshype has learned. – via Twitter MikeAScotto

Claxton / Markieff / Sharpe
Durant / Warren / Watanabe
Harris / O'Neale / Edwards
Kyrie / Curry / Thomas
Simmons / Mills / Sumner

2-way:  Duke