Author Topic: Trade Idea: If I’m David Griffin…  (Read 3278 times)

Trade Idea: If I’m David Griffin…
« on: July 05, 2022, 02:43:59 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
…I am contacting Brooklyn to discuss a trade for Kevin Durant, I am then getting in contact with Durant to make my pitch.

The Pitch

I would tell him that going to the Pelicans will not only bring him another championship, but change his NBA narrative and elevate him to another tier of legend.

If Durant wins a title in New Orleans, it would replicate what LeBron did winning in Cleveland, and perhaps make him the saviour of basketball in Louisiana.

I would say to trust me (Griffin), let me do my job and I will surround you with the best pieces to win, like I did for Cleveland and LeBron.

—————————

Nets: Brandon Ingram, Dyson Daniels, Larry Nance Jr, 2024 Round 1 (Lakers), 2025 Round 1 (Bucks), 2027 Round 1 (Bucks)

Pelicans: Durant

—————————

NOLA

Jonas Valanciunas
Zion Williamson
Kevin Durant
Herb Jones
CJ McCollum

Graham, Hayes, Murphy III, Alvarado

—————————

Durant gives Zion another veteran role model, pushing him to stay in shape.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 07:09:37 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Trade Idea: If I’m David Griffin…
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 10:05:16 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Pelicans are probably not getting KD without giving up Zion and/or Herb. Ingram is good, but JB is better, so why not make a deal with the Celtics instead? Maybe Ingram/Herb is a better deal, though, but Pelicans can’t compete for a title if they trade those two pieces for KD.

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 10:09:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Nick Wright proposed this morning.

Ingram and Hayes and then 5 1st round picks for Durant

and because the Pelicans have a bunch of extra picks they can trade picks in 23, 24, 25, and two in 27. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 10:55:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Lakers picks have a bit of x factor about them
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 10:57:25 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Pelicans are probably not getting KD without giving up Zion and/or Herb. Ingram is good, but JB is better, so why not make a deal with the Celtics instead? Maybe Ingram/Herb is a better deal, though, but Pelicans can’t compete for a title if they trade those two pieces for KD.

Because the Celtics have a championship-caliber roster today and they aren’t going to trade what it would take to land KD.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 12:17:04 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Nick Wright proposed this morning.

Ingram and Hayes and then 5 1st round picks for Durant

and because the Pelicans have a bunch of extra picks they can trade picks in 23, 24, 25, and two in 27.

This would be cool.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 12:32:55 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

And a lot of that is because LeBron is part of this superstar friendship mudpie.

Feels like the Laker allure is fading a bit. Thank god. Harden didn't request to go there. KAT, Booker...etc. all don't seem super bothered about location.

Ironically, Kyrie, who fell out with Lebron, including being peeved about being asked whether Lebron is a father figure to him, seems to be one of the last people angling to go to the Lakers. Kyrie gets exactly what he deserves, to be called Lebron's son, lol.

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 12:52:00 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

And a lot of that is because LeBron is part of this superstar friendship mudpie.

Feels like the Laker allure is fading a bit. Thank god. Harden didn't request to go there. KAT, Booker...etc. all don't seem super bothered about location.

Ironically, Kyrie, who fell out with Lebron, including being peeved about being asked whether Lebron is a father figure to him, seems to be one of the last people angling to go to the Lakers. Kyrie gets exactly what he deserves, to be called Lebron's son, lol.
I feel like it is too. Especially if LeBron does leave to go play with whatever team drafts his son, as he has alluded to...
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2022, 06:09:12 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I feel like it is too. Especially if LeBron does leave to go play with whatever team drafts his son, as he has alluded to...
I believe Lebron will re-sign in LA on a short term deal. I don’t think he is all that close to calling it quits
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 08:21:40 AM by Moranis »

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2022, 09:23:37 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
If I were them, I'd rather unload Zion and ask for a 1st plus Durant.

The Nets aren't going to get anyone with close to that upside any other way, so they might do it.

For the Pels, it unloads the timebomb that is Zion. While he has an unlimited ceiling, he's a super high risk guy. To an lesser extent, so is Durant, but with the roster and pick stash they have, they could make a really great run at a title with Durant instead of an absentee superstar like Zion.

If they keep Zion instead and trade everybody else, the odds that either he or Durant run into injury issues is uncomfortably high, and I don't think they have enough unless Zion snaps into his full potential.

The odds of winning a championship are higher without Zion.

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2022, 10:52:20 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

I believe Lebron will re-sign in LA on a short term deal. I don’t think he is all that close to calling it quits

Do you think this is contingent at all on the Lakers performance?  If they miss the playoffs again, does this change anything?

On the one hand, I have a hard time seeing LeBron re-sign with a team who missed the playoffs 2 years in a row (and 3 of his 5 years there), while only making it out of the 1st round once.  He's gotta know there won't be many more chances to add to his legacy.

On the other hand (and unless they make some major trades during the year) Lakers have only $51.6m in salaries on the books for '23-'24.  So it should be easier for the Lakers to re-tool, giving LeBron reason to re-sign.  Plus he's made it clear he wants LA to be his home.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2022, 11:31:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Do you think this is contingent at all on the Lakers performance?  If they miss the playoffs again, does this change anything?

On the one hand, I have a hard time seeing LeBron re-sign with a team who missed the playoffs 2 years in a row (and 3 of his 5 years there), while only making it out of the 1st round once.  He's gotta know there won't be many more chances to add to his legacy.

On the other hand (and unless they make some major trades during the year) Lakers have only $51.6m in salaries on the books for '23-'24.  So it should be easier for the Lakers to re-tool, giving LeBron reason to re-sign.  Plus he's made it clear he wants LA to be his home.
Part of the Lakers issue last year was not signing anyone past Lebron's contract or be willing to go further into the tax.  That is how they lost DeRozan and didn't re-sign guys like Caruso and Schroder that would have been useful salary fodder if nothing else.  The Lakers will have a ton of flexibility that summer, especially if Lebron doesn't go full max even on a short term deal (which I'm not sure he would).  He wants to live in LA.  That is why he went there when they hadn't been to the playoffs in years.  That is why you see his production company popping up all over the place (like Hustle on Netflix).  That is how he became a billionaire while still playing.  So yeah, unless something catastrophic happens, I don't see him leaving LA until his very last season, if at all.  I'd expect something like a 1 + 1 at a good, but not full max salary.   

I do think he wants to spend his final season playing with Bronny (and if he plays awhile Bryce), but I don't think 23-24 will be his final season.  I expect him to play another 4 or 5 years and frankly if Bronny doesn't make the league and it looks like Bryce will, he may play that 6th year with him (Bryce, who is only 13, is said to be a better prospect than Bronny at the same age). 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 12:11:52 PM by Moranis »

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2022, 07:04:04 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Honestly, I still stand by this trade idea.

Given how well New Orleans is doing this season, with the addition of Durant, they would be odds on favourites to come out of the western conference.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2022, 07:27:31 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Honestly, I still stand by this trade idea.

Given how well New Orleans is doing this season, with the addition of Durant, they would be odds on favourites to come out of the western conference.

I think NO might be happy to let this young team develop.  Durant gives them a 2 year window. Great for NO basketball if they win a championship, but if not they’re pretty much back to building  - assuming the Ingram and assets deal.

Given Lebron signing at about 48M per through 24-25, what does that mean for their flexibility next summer? 

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2022, 09:23:26 PM »

Online tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I don't see little Bronny being good enough to play in the NBA.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce