Author Topic: Which center should we sign?  (Read 40121 times)

Re: Which center should we sign?
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2022, 03:47:26 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I think we need a center *and* a wing with length,  VG.

We’re set at guard and PF.  Davidson should be a two-way.

Agree.

C Bryant or Aldridge or Howard or Whiteside (in that order)

Wing T J Warren or Josh Jackson (in that order)

« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2022, 04:11:37 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
In Udoka’s defensive system, there are only a select few traditional bigs that can handle all of the responsibilities well, anyway. Ime’s proven that he’s only giving regular minutes to players that can perform them well. Even Theis, who’s a solid backup big in this system, had to ride the pine. Kanter? Even less.

After signing Kornet, Brad already decided who that Center is. We’re going with Rob and Al rotating at the 4 and 5 with any combination of Danilo and Grant in bench lineups. Kornet in the break glass in case of emergency Center role.

To be the 5th string Center, my first option would’ve been Ibaka, who just re-signed with the Bucks, he’s out but Aldridge and Dieng are still out there so we’ll see.

« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2022, 07:11:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If he gets caught in a numbers crunch in Memphis, I’d love to try to get Xavier Tillman.  He had a tough sophomore season, but I think in part because the Grizzlies have used him a lot outside of his best position (which I think is center, but they played him at the 3 because their roster is so full of bigs).  With the additions of Roddy and LaRavia, he might fit even worse.

He’s under contract for the minimum this year, with a team option for next year.
He would be such an excellent addition. Really wanted him on draft night
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2022, 07:34:16 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Might be coming out if left field with this one but I’d love to see the Celtics sign Makur Maker to a 2-way. Watching his playoff games from this past Nbl season I think he has the physical tools to defend the way the Cs like from their bigs.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2022, 08:11:28 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

I am fine with getting both but what is a bigger impact, a third wing or a fifth big?  I doubt any big we bring in at this point is going to change the big rotation much. We already have four bigs that are established players.

Our third wing right now is Hauser. We can work around that but it will force us to play with 2 of Smart, Brogdon, or White more than we would if we had a true 3rd wing. Not the end of the world but clearly more of a need than another big.

« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2022, 09:11:49 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

I am fine with getting both but what is a bigger impact, a third wing or a fifth big?  I doubt any big we bring in at this point is going to change the big rotation much. We already have four bigs that are established players.

Our third wing right now is Hauser. We can work around that but it will force us to play with 2 of Smart, Brogdon, or White more than we would if we had a true 3rd wing. Not the end of the world but clearly more of a need than another big.
Having another quality bench big is if huge importance imo. Williams is a shoe in to miss at least 25% of the season based off his injury history and for as much as I love Horford, he’s 36 and needs to have his minutes managed. They need another quality big for the rotation especially if they still plan on going double bigs.

« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2022, 10:09:32 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67

I would say another 5 is a much bigger need than a wing at this point.

Smart will play 1 and 2. He will likely play 30+ MPG
Brogdon will play 1 and 2. He will likely play 28+ MPG
White will play 1 and 2. He will likely play 24+ MPG
Brown will play 2 and 3. He will likely play 32+ MPG
Tatum will play 3 and 4. He will likely play 32+ MPG
Grant will play 3 and 4. He could likely play 20+ MPG
Gallo will play primarily 4. He could likely play 20+ MPG

There are 192 MPG to allocate at the 1-4 spots. Those 7 players above account for 186 MPG with fairly conservative minutes estimates compared to what they averaged last year. That doesn’t even account for the fact that Al started at the 4 all last year let alone spot minutes for Pritchard or Hauser. Where are we finding playing time for a rotation wing unless someone gets traded out?

On the flip side, the 5 spot has Rob, Al (who Ime likes at the 4), and then nothing. If Al or Rob were out for a game, we’d be in serious rotation trouble without a vet 5 addition. Kornet is not a serious option for minutes.

« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2022, 03:44:44 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Looks like Bryant choose the fakers, and Dieng sign with the Spurs hopefully they can get Boogie or Whiteside

« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2022, 04:29:41 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
Relying on RobW to stay healthy is foolish - he is going to miss games and we need to be able to give time to rest and heal.
That is going to require another big post player. Theis was perfect for that role, but we were forced to let him go. Wouldn't we love to have Aaron Baynes for that position, he would provide the muscle neither Rob or Al gives us. But alas, Baynes is fortunate just to be back on his feet. I don't want Cousins, just too much of a loose cannon and injury prone.

But adding a big, strong post player should be priority #1 the rest of the summer.
We need depth and an interior physical presence.
And we need rebounding help !!!!
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2022, 04:50:43 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Relying on RobW to stay healthy is foolish - he is going to miss games and we need to be able to give time to rest and heal.
That is going to require another big post player. Theis was perfect for that role, but we were forced to let him go. Wouldn't we love to have Aaron Baynes for that position, he would provide the muscle neither Rob or Al gives us. But alas, Baynes is fortunate just to be back on his feet. I don't want Cousins, just too much of a loose cannon and injury prone.

But adding a big, strong post player should be priority #1 the rest of the summer.
We need depth and an interior physical presence.
And we need rebounding help !!!!

Man, Aaron Baynes :(

« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2022, 06:47:50 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m bummed about Bryant, but I get it.

There’s only one option left:

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2022, 07:12:48 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Is Dwight Howard the only solid defender / rebounder center still available in free agency?

Someone with enough muscle to defend the likes of Embiid or Jokic if we are short-handed due to injuries or foul trouble. Embiid is a big threat in a playoff series in the East.

« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2022, 07:48:44 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Not much out there. We all know Rob is going to be hurt at some point and Kornet has the ability of a practice player. Having to put him into a game for meaningful minutes is a disaster.

« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2022, 08:03:03 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Not much out there. We all know Rob is going to be hurt at some point and Kornet has the ability of a practice player. Having to put him into a game for meaningful minutes is a disaster.

Yeah, it's a pretty spotty bunch:  Howard, Cousins, Kaminsky, Whiteside, Aldridge

Any other veteran names floating out there?  Maybe Harrell wants to play for free?  Cody Zeller?  Tristan Thompson (vomit)?

Or, is the plan to get by for the first few months, and then trade for somebody?  I do not like this particular plan.  :-/
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 08:09:28 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2022, 08:08:53 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
I’m just not worried about a center.  Teams go without “true” centers all the time for stretches in games during both the regular season and playoffs.  We’ve got two plus-level starters when healthy, so they can easily share the game, and when one is hurt we can go small for a third of the game with either Grant or Gallo if Kornet/summer league find isn’t up to the task and we don’t find someone else.  If there’s a long-term energy, the Celtics have TPEs that will fit in a true backup center, and a third center can be found in the buyout market/minimum salary trades.

Would I like one now?  Sure.  Am I going to fret if we can’t find one in the next few weeks?  Not at all.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 08:15:44 AM by Celtics2021 »