Author Topic: Which center should we sign?  (Read 40015 times)

Re: Which center should we sign?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2022, 11:00:04 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
From that list and other suggestions, I would take Serge Ibaka. He's perhaps the most accomplished in the playoffs, if someone wants to verify that.   :P

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2022, 11:12:54 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I'd pass on a center. Just start Brogdon bring Al off the bench as the backup center. Also want to use Gallo as a stretch 5 because he lacks quickness to keep up with modern 4s on defense let alone do switching. Gallo needs to be in drop coverage. He does still have some advantages vs 5s on offense so he makes more sense playing minutes there.

Brogdon/PP
Smart/ White
Brown/
Hauser?
Tatum/GW
TL/Al/Gallo

Bold is top 9 rotation

Why would we change our starting line up from the one that made the finals last season?  I don't see it.  I see Brogdon off the bench, easier to manage his minutes that way.  I see it as more likely that Gallinari starts over Horford than Brogdon starts over Horford.

Least of the team's worries though at this point.

As to Center (or more generally big), we are talking min contracts so no big difference.  I actually can't see us going old (Cousins, Howard).  More likely take a change to resurrect Bryant or Whiteside.

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2022, 11:14:46 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
(1) Biyombo
(2) Dieng

(3) Dwight

(4) Thomas Bryant -- doesn't play defense. Doesn't play winning basketball. Has some talent but no idea how to use it effectively in order to help his team win.

Ibaka is broken down. Not worth signing. Time to retire. Ditto for Cousins.

I don't think Whiteside will be a good member of the locker room if he is not playing regularly. Not a good option as a 3rd string center. Too much of a malcontent.
thanks for a good post.

One point i have concerns the take on thomas. in terms of his defense, articles i read seem to say he has physical ability, but is poor at communications and decisions. those things are coachable in many cases, maybe so for thomas.

though he just might have such a low basketball IQ, which would prevent improvement. I haven't seen enough of him to know the answer to that.

thomas has good offensive stats. last season in 17 mpg he averaged 7.6 points and 4 rebounds. that is in line with his career averages of 10.2 points and 5.7 rebounds in 20 minutes. and people wrote that he is a very efficient scorer.

given that we are talking about the third string center, thomas may be a nice fit.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bryanth01.html

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/how-does-addition-thomas-bryant-impact-frontcourt

https://theathletic.com/2305444/2021/01/06/washington-wizards-thomas-bryant-defense/

“Awareness, communication and footwork would be probably the top three things I would look to hammer for Thomas Bryant,” he said. “He’s developed an ability to get into the right spot.

"If he can straighten out the defense, he becomes a surefire starting center."
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2022, 11:28:15 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I was a little surprised we never really saw any of Kornet last year but it doesn't seem like Ime trusts him. If he figures it out, that would be nice.

If not, I definitely would like to see one more big body on the bench for when Timelord and Horford miss time. Dieng fits the bill, for sure.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2022, 11:28:53 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
DeAndre Jordan and Robin Lopez would be on my list too
They both signed with teams already. DeAndre went to Denver. I forget where Robin Lopez went.

Edit: Cleveland. Robin Lopez went to CLE.

I can’t believe someone signed Jordan.

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2022, 11:31:29 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I was a little surprised we never really saw any of Kornet last year but it doesn't seem like Ime trusts him. If he figures it out, that would be nice.

If not, I definitely would like to see one more big body on the bench for when Timelord and Horford miss time. Dieng fits the bill, for sure.

Kornet is going to be 27 and is entering in his 6th season. He is not a rotation caliber player. Slow as molasses.

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2022, 11:34:22 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Kornet is going to be 27 and is entering in his 6th season. He is not a rotation caliber player. Slow as molasses.

With Rob's fragility and Al's age to go into the season with Kornet as the third backup will kill us at some point.

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2022, 11:40:55 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
DeAndre Jordan and Robin Lopez would be on my list too
They both signed with teams already. DeAndre went to Denver. I forget where Robin Lopez went.

Edit: Cleveland. Robin Lopez went to CLE.

I can’t believe someone signed Jordan.

Yeah, I was shocked by that as well.

Apparently the deal was agreed 1 minute into FA. First FA off the board was DeAndre Jordan. No tampering there. Not that anyone cares about tampering with D.Jordan.

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2022, 11:42:12 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd pass on a center. Just start Brogdon bring Al off the bench as the backup center. Also want to use Gallo as a stretch 5 because he lacks quickness to keep up with modern 4s on defense let alone do switching. Gallo needs to be in drop coverage. He does still have some advantages vs 5s on offense so he makes more sense playing minutes there.

Brogdon/PP
Smart/ White
Brown/
Hauser?
Tatum/GW
TL/Al/Gallo

Bold is top 9 rotation

Why would we change our starting line up from the one that made the finals last season?  I don't see it.  I see Brogdon off the bench, easier to manage his minutes that way.  I see it as more likely that Gallinari starts over Horford than Brogdon starts over Horford.

Least of the team's worries though at this point.

As to Center (or more generally big), we are talking min contracts so no big difference.  I actually can't see us going old (Cousins, Howard).  More likely take a change to resurrect Bryant or Whiteside.
Reasons
-Al is 36.
-It solves the depth concern at center.
-Reduce turnover woes of starters.
-Reduce the lack of focus/intensity of starters.
-Improve getting to the free throw line for all the starters.
-Gives more open looks for Jays.
-Takes pressure off Smart.
-Puts Al in less ISO.
-Puts your best 5 players out there to start the game.
-Improves game management.
-Keeps Brogdon in the role that made him a steal of a trade.

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2022, 11:47:22 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
I’d take Lamarcus Aldridge as a backup C. He’s 6’11”/250lbs and still had something in the tank last season. Played 22mpg for the Nets last year and gave them 13pts, 5rebs, 1blk per game. Shot 55% from the field and 87% from the line. That would be a really solid pickup, IMO.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2022, 11:51:24 AM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
Someone strictly to throw at Embiid during the playoffs. 

Even for just 10-12 minutes a game.  Thats 10-12 minutes that Al and Rob have to not defend him saving their energy to do what they do best.

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2022, 11:52:51 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I’d take Lamarcus Aldridge as a backup C. He’s 6’11”/250lbs and still had something in the tank last season. Played 22mpg for the Nets last year and gave them 13pts, 5rebs, 1blk per game. Shot 55% from the field and 87% from the line. That would be a really solid pickup, IMO.

Yeah he would be good for a few minutes I guess and wondering about Surge Ibaka ?

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2022, 11:56:07 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Given his lack of playing time, it would seem Ime agrees with you.

On the other hand, the Celtics just signed him to a new deal so I guess they see some kind of potential in him.

That said, I think the Celtics have 12 players on their roster right now. One of the remaining spots should probably go to another center with some legit size.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2022, 12:02:41 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Papagiannis tavarez

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2022, 12:05:59 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Great thought TP. Same age as Horford. Thought he was older. Ime recruited him to join Spurs. Just wonder why he got zero burn in playoffs vs Celtics.