Author Topic: NBA Off Season 2022  (Read 103195 times)

Re: NBA Off Season 2022
« Reply #795 on: August 25, 2022, 10:00:05 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Why would any team help the Lakers??

Hard core fans of Lebron James constantly think up trades that will improve his chances of winning a title. Been happening for years. Now fortunately the other teams don’t have gms that are Lebron fans so they don’t just do things like give irving away to them for free.

I don't think that's necessarily the motivation.  The Lakers are one of the few teams that:

1. Have holes on their roster;

2. Have a large expiring contract;

3.  Are desperate enough to include two future unprotected picks.

The targets we've been talking about are flawed assets.  Nobody is suggesting that the Lakers are going to land Donovan Mitchell for an expiring plus two future unprotected #1s.  But an injury-prone, pending free agent Turner?  And a soon-to-be 30 year old Buddy Hield with one year left on his deal?  Yeah, I think Indy would move those guys.

I'm curious, if the deal was Horford plus '27 and '29 first rounders for Turner and Hield, would you do it?  (We'd have to include $5m in additional salary, so we'd probably have to package together some end of bench scrubs and wait a few months to trade them.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #796 on: August 25, 2022, 10:02:27 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Ouch.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
 · 1m
Oklahoma City Thunder 7-footer Chet Holmgren will miss the 2022-2023 season with a Lisfranc injury to his right foot. Holmgren, the No. 2 pick in the 2022 NBA Draft, suffered the injury in a Pro-Am game in Seattle on Saturday.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #797 on: August 25, 2022, 10:05:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Ouch.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
 · 1m
Oklahoma City Thunder 7-footer Chet Holmgren will miss the 2022-2023 season with a Lisfranc injury to his right foot. Holmgren, the No. 2 pick in the 2022 NBA Draft, suffered the injury in a Pro-Am game in Seattle on Saturday.

Yuck.  Lisfranc injuries can be serious business.

I guess this helps their lottery chances?  Crappy news, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #798 on: August 25, 2022, 10:07:09 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Ouch.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
 · 1m

Yeah, sadly my head went straight to "At least they'll get another high lottery pick out of this".

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #799 on: August 25, 2022, 10:07:18 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Ouch.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
 · 1m

Wow, that’s awful.

Good breakdown of the injury by a sports MD below…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4AHR4R2k8Uk
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 10:19:05 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #800 on: August 25, 2022, 10:11:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Keith Smith @KeithSmithNBA
about 5 minutes ago
I have a feeling we're about to see a whole bunch of NBA players pull out of any remaining pro-ams. Maybe involuntarily, but it's going to happen.

He's not wrong. 

« Reply #801 on: August 25, 2022, 10:13:07 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Ouch.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
 · 1m

Wow, that’s awful.
Gosh awful..hopefully it’s not the beginning of lot of foot problems for him..Hope just a one time thing & he wil have a long career
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #802 on: August 25, 2022, 10:22:58 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Ouch.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
 · 1m

Wow, that’s awful.
Gosh awful..hopefully it’s not the beginning of lot of foot problems for him..Hope just a one time thing & he wil have a long career

Chet already had that foot wrapped in black tape during the game, the other was not. Seems like something was not right with the foot/ankle to begin with.

At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #803 on: August 25, 2022, 10:25:36 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Ouch.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
 · 1m

Wow, that’s awful.

Good breakdown of the injury by a sports MD below…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4AHR4R2k8Uk
hope he already had himself insured for injury.  good chance this just cost him dearly in career NBA earnings.  was hoping he was going to be really good

« Reply #804 on: August 25, 2022, 10:25:43 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Keith Smith @KeithSmithNBA
about 5 minutes ago
I have a feeling we're about to see a whole bunch of NBA players pull out of any remaining pro-ams. Maybe involuntarily, but it's going to happen.

He's not wrong.

Just an alternate opinion, but it seems to me that pro basketball players have to be able to play a lot of basketball.

« Reply #805 on: August 25, 2022, 10:28:54 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Hard core fans of Lebron James constantly think up trades that will improve his chances of winning a title. Been happening for years. Now fortunately the other teams don’t have gms that are Lebron fans so they don’t just do things like give irving away to them for free.

I don't think that's necessarily the motivation.  The Lakers are one of the few teams that:

The targets we've been talking about are flawed assets.  Nobody is suggesting that the Lakers are going to land Donovan Mitchell for an expiring plus two future unprotected #1s.  But an injury-prone, pending free agent Turner?  And a soon-to-be 30 year old Buddy Hield with one year left on his deal?  Yeah, I think Indy would move those guys.

I'm curious, if the deal was Horford plus '27 and '29 first rounders for Turner and Hield, would you do it?  (We'd have to include $5m in additional salary, so we'd probably have to package together some end of bench scrubs and wait a few months to trade them.)

Roy I would do that trade, but feel bad admitting it cause I really like Horford. And even if it is true that the Lakers have a large expiring contract I stand by my comment and have receipts on it. This has been going on for a decade from Lebron fans even when other teams had plenty of large expiring contracts.

Edit: sorry missed we were including two picks. Would maybe consider 1 but not 2. I’ll also add I realize the Celtics wouldn’t do this.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 10:35:34 AM by celticsclay »

« Reply #806 on: August 25, 2022, 10:30:30 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Ouch.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
 · 1m

Wonder if we will see less nba players involved in these kinds of games in future seasons. It’s worth noting the game he got injured in was stopped because of unsafe court conditions.

« Reply #807 on: August 25, 2022, 11:27:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I wouldn't because Horford is more useful than Westbrook and thus has more value.  Might do it for 1 future protected 1st and Horford.  Of course the Pacers wouldn't do that.  The future unprotected 1st's are the appeal to the Pacers.  That is why they'd do that sort of trade and that really seems to be the best they are going to get for Turner and Hield i.e. a future 1st for each is best case. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #808 on: August 25, 2022, 11:40:05 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Ouch.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
 · 1m

Wow, that’s awful.

Chet already had that foot wrapped in black tape during the game, the other was not. Seems like something was not right with the foot/ankle to begin with.

Rylan Stiles: Sam Presti says Chet Holmgren’s injury is a “rupture of the tendon” and “not a fracture.” – via Twitter Rylan_Stiles

Ben Rohrbach: Thunder GM Sam Presti says Chet Holmgren will require surgery and is expected to make a full recovery. – via Twitter brohrbach

Clemente Almanza: Presti said the long-term prognosis is very positive with this and consulted with 3 of the top 5 doctors in the country Also confirmed Chet will require surgery – via Twitter CAlmanza1007

Sam Presti says he doesn’t believe the condensation on the floor was a factor. Says the NBA sanctions the pro-ams as okay places to play. Guys are playing everywhere all the time. And anytime you step on the floor, these things can happen. – via Twitter BrandonRahbar

Brandon Rahbar: Sam Presti on Chet’s skinny frame being a factor: “It’s an acute injury, it’s an impact injury. It’s a figment of the alternate reality of the Internet. But it’s not reality.” Other words, no his frame had nothing to do with it. – via Twitter BrandonRahbar

« Reply #809 on: August 25, 2022, 12:46:21 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
So the best the Lakers could get for the vaunted THT is 34 year old Pat Bev? I mean, I like Pat Bev for them, but they were acting like THT was practically untouchable for a while.