Author Topic: NBA Off Season 2022  (Read 104559 times)

Re: NBA Off Season 2022
« Reply #765 on: August 23, 2022, 08:55:32 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
How can't you take them seriously? They won 44 games last year.

Conservative games estimate
Irving 29 > 55
Durant 55 > 55
Simmons 0 > 55
Harden 44 > 0
Harris 14 > 55
Curry 14 > 55
Mills 81 > 55
Brown 72 > 0 ---- This is the biggest one
Thomas 66 > 55
Claxton 47 > 55

I'm sure Aldridge and Drummond can be replaced.

Looks like about 47-48 wins to me.
They added Warren and O'Neale as well.  Plus, Sharpe and Thomas should be a lot better.  They have so many question marks it is hard to trust them, but if they actually put it together, I think they could legitimately contend.  I don't think they will put it all together though and will probably be in the play-in again and make for a tough out for one of the top seeds, just like this year (except they will be better by the shear fact you'd expect Simmons and Harris to play).

Warren should have a good bounce back season. My concerns for them is the fit of their additions. Warren is another high volume shooter who doesn't create for others and he will be looking to pad his stats for his next contract. Simmons, we know his issues, how can a guy who needs to dominate the ball and can't shoot fit with KD and Kyrie? At least Simmons should help them defensively, but they need to focus more on roster fit , add complementary players who fill in their weaknesses. Rumors are that they may add Melo too, which also doesn't solve anything for them.

« Reply #766 on: August 23, 2022, 09:08:47 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
How can't you take them seriously? They won 44 games last year.

Conservative games estimate
Irving 29 > 55
Durant 55 > 55
Simmons 0 > 55
Harden 44 > 0
Harris 14 > 55
Curry 14 > 55
Mills 81 > 55
Brown 72 > 0 ---- This is the biggest one
Thomas 66 > 55
Claxton 47 > 55

I'm sure Aldridge and Drummond can be replaced.

Looks like about 47-48 wins to me.
They added Warren and O'Neale as well.  Plus, Sharpe and Thomas should be a lot better.  They have so many question marks it is hard to trust them, but if they actually put it together, I think they could legitimately contend.  I don't think they will put it all together though and will probably be in the play-in again and make for a tough out for one of the top seeds, just like this year (except they will be better by the shear fact you'd expect Simmons and Harris to play).

Warren should have a good bounce back season. My concerns for them is the fit of their additions. Warren is another high volume shooter who doesn't create for others and he will be looking to pad his stats for his next contract. Simmons, we know his issues, how can a guy who needs to dominate the ball and can't shoot fit with KD and Kyrie? At least Simmons should help them defensively, but they need to focus more on roster fit , add complementary players who fill in their weaknesses. Rumors are that they may add Melo too, which also doesn't solve anything for them.

I'm not rooting for them, but...
Harden is the major thing out, Kyrie and Simmons should cover that.
Harris healthy and Curry for a full season should cover Brown.
I hope they load manage all year and end up in the play-in, but I suspect they end up in the middle of the pack. Not true contenders but dangerous.

« Reply #767 on: August 24, 2022, 01:01:59 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
It seems Schroeder is going to get little more than the vet minimum. What is the deal with that? He is just considered a complete cancer in the locker room? We obviously played a lot better after he left. Clearly teams don’t view him as a starting pg

People really have zero thoughts on a guy that played like 40 games with us? Should we bring him back on a minimum deal?

« Reply #768 on: August 24, 2022, 08:08:35 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
It seems Schroeder is going to get little more than the vet minimum. What is the deal with that? He is just considered a complete cancer in the locker room? We obviously played a lot better after he left. Clearly teams don’t view him as a starting pg

People really have zero thoughts on a guy that played like 40 games with us? Should we bring him back on a minimum deal?

We should not bring him back on a minimum deal.  I think Schroder’s problem is that he is a decent individual player, but he doesn’t make his teammates better.  He’s a point guard who can get into a scoring groove, but he’s a scorer first and a facilitator second.  His defense is all right but he can only guard other PGs.  He’s not a knock-down shooter so you can’t play him off-ball.  And whereas he was once good enough and young enough to work around these deficiencies to let him play to his strengths, he’s now neither.  Young teams would rather give minutes to someone else, and he doesn’t add anything to competitive teams.  I also bet he’s still hoping that a larger role than #3 PG at the minimum will materialize for him, which appears unlikely.  I bet a lot of teams would sign him at the minimum for that, but he wants minutes.

« Reply #769 on: August 24, 2022, 10:52:55 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Perk mentioned he HAD to be moved at last year's deadline due to locker room issues. He hinted at the same about Josh Richardson, though that was less clear.

« Reply #770 on: August 24, 2022, 12:04:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Numerous NBA executives who spoke with HoopsHype believe the Rudy Gobert trade made it harder for Kevin Durant to be moved. The draft pick compensation Utah received from Minnesota was considered such a lopsided haul for Utah around the league that if the Nets got anything less than that for Durant, Brooklyn’s front office would’ve looked foolish, according to numerous rival executives.

I think this is a really interesting question.  If another negotiator massively overpays for a commodity, does that make a subsequent negotiator look "foolish" if he sells a similar or superior commodity at a lesser value?  What if that "lesser value" is in line with, or better than, all previous sales except for the outlier?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #771 on: August 24, 2022, 12:23:52 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Numerous NBA executives who spoke with HoopsHype believe the Rudy Gobert trade made it harder for Kevin Durant to be moved. The draft pick compensation Utah received from Minnesota was considered such a lopsided haul for Utah around the league that if the Nets got anything less than that for Durant, Brooklyn’s front office would’ve looked foolish, according to numerous rival executives.

I think this is a really interesting question.  If another negotiator massively overpays for a commodity, does that make a subsequent negotiator look "foolish" if he sells a similar or superior commodity at a lesser value?  What if that "lesser value" is in line with, or better than, all previous sales except for the outlier?
The thing is, the Nets absolutely could have gotten the same level of draft picks and probably a better player than anyone in the Gobert trade.  I mean the Pelicans could have traded them something like 7 picks (not saying they would, but they could have).  The reason Durant wasn't traded was because the Nets wanted so much more than just draft picks.  In addition to all of the picks, they also wanted a younger star and a starter level player (and perhaps a rotation level player).  The draft picks weren't the issue, it was the total ask that was the issue. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #772 on: August 24, 2022, 12:38:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The thing is, the Nets absolutely could have gotten the same level of draft picks and probably a better player than anyone in the Gobert trade.  I mean the Pelicans could have traded them something like 7 picks (not saying they would, but they could have).  The reason Durant wasn't traded was because the Nets wanted so much more than just draft picks.  In addition to all of the picks, they also wanted a younger star and a starter level player (and perhaps a rotation level player).  The draft picks weren't the issue, it was the total ask that was the issue.

That's probably true.  If the Nets asked the Knicks for 6 #1s and RJ Barrett, I bet they do it in a heart beat.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #773 on: August 24, 2022, 12:49:41 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Patrick Beverly was the best player Utah received in the trade. Minnesota had to throw in extra picks because they traded no player of value. Golbert has made the All NBA and/or All Defensive team every year since 2016. When you consider the overall trade package for Golbert, I think it was reasonable.

« Reply #774 on: August 24, 2022, 02:29:44 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
There’s fear Oklahoma City Thunder No. 2 pick Chet Holmgren has suffered ligament damage in his foot and he is undergoing further opinions, sources tell - Shams

Man, Hopefully nothing too serious
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #775 on: August 24, 2022, 03:53:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
There’s fear Oklahoma City Thunder No. 2 pick Chet Holmgren has suffered ligament damage in his foot and he is undergoing further opinions, sources tell - Shams

Kid can look forward to a career injury history like that of Yao or Porzingas or worse than them both. He has a terrible body frame for long term NBA success.

« Reply #776 on: August 24, 2022, 04:12:09 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413

A lot of us talk bout this potential happening because of his frame…Really hate this for him or anyone
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #777 on: August 24, 2022, 04:29:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

A lot of us talk bout this potential happening because of his frame…Really hate this for him or anyone

Is frame crazy different than Durant as a rookie?

« Reply #778 on: August 24, 2022, 04:53:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I think it is. I think Durant was wider in the hips and shoulders and looked as if he could support significant muscle growth and weight addition. Durant also seemed to move better and faster. Better athleticism? Sure, but maybe because the overall frame was better and it allowed for better movement.

« Reply #779 on: August 24, 2022, 04:57:53 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

I think it is. I think Durant was wider in the hips and shoulders and looked as if he could support significant muscle growth and weight addition. Durant also seemed to move better and faster. Better athleticism? Sure, but maybe because the overall frame was better and it allowed for better movement.

I do remember some decent concern about how lanky Durant was.  There was also the question of strength and how he would be able to adjust at a physical level and if his body could handle. I know he bombed the bench press test at the combine which certainly raised eyebrows

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team