Author Topic: NBA Off Season 2022  (Read 104568 times)

Re: NBA Off Season 2022
« Reply #750 on: August 23, 2022, 01:17:33 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Simmons at center is a terrible idea.  I think he could probably play PF against most teams, but he shouldn't be center ever.  He can't take the abuse to his frame.  I also don't like Durant at PF.  The Nets have talent, but really do have a roster construction issue.  I think ideally they'd have Simmons at PG, Irving at SG, and Durant at SF.  Now maybe they can get Harris out there, but they definitely need an upgrade at center. 

Looking around the league at players that might be available that would seemingly make sense for them, I think they should try to get Love from the Cavs.  Maybe something like Harris and O'Neale for Love and Wade

The Cavs get a mega shooter at SF, while the Nets pick up the shooting and rebounding big that makes better sense on the roster and they basically just swap back-up PF's. 

So if the Nets did that they'd be

C - Love, Claxton, Sharpe
PF - Warren, Wade
SF - Durant, Duke
SG - Irving, Curry, Thomas, Edwards
PG - Simmons, Mills

While the Cavs would be

C - Allen, Brown
PF - Mobley, Markannen, O'Neale
SF - Harris, Osman, Okoro
SG - Sexton, LeVert, Windler
PG - Garland, Frazier, Rubio
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #751 on: August 23, 2022, 01:21:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
You think that Love can play center but Simmons can't?

Simmons is listed at 6'11", 240 pounds.  Love is 6'8", 250 pounds.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #752 on: August 23, 2022, 01:38:08 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
My guess is that the Nets will play Simmons as a PG or whatever you want to call it because that is what he is going to want to do, at least to start games.  Then of course Kyrie and Durant will start.  If it was me though, I think I would have Simmons as more of a point PF so that I could keep Durant at wing and then find a real center (blue collar type):

Kyrie
Harris
Durant
Simmons
Blue Collar Center

Simmons can move to the point with other line ups but for the core line up, you need some interior defense.  Simmons should be able to provide that along with the center I think they need.  The Nets are not going to have good perimeter defense so they need a back stop.  It makes no sense to me to have Simmons out chasing guards.

« Reply #753 on: August 23, 2022, 01:55:53 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
the Roster is kinda  a mess and KD doesnt have time to hold to ben simmons hand.

« Reply #754 on: August 23, 2022, 01:58:19 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

I think simmons could play center physically but not mentally. He would fold like a cheap suit after getting hit a few times by Howard, jokic, embid etc.

« Reply #755 on: August 23, 2022, 02:34:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think simmons could play center physically but not mentally. He would fold like a cheap suit after getting hit a few times by Howard, jokic, embid etc.

It depends upon which Simmons we get.  Throughout his career, he's shown a strong commitment to defense -- including physical defense -- even when offensively he's been in his own head.  But, we haven't seen him play in a year, so we have no idea if he's dealing with other mental issues at this point.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #756 on: August 23, 2022, 02:36:55 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Absolutely.  It is style of play, body type, etc.  Love is much more suited to play center than Simmons.  I'm surprised anyone would think differently.  Plus, Love has actually played center in his career.  In fact, last year he was listed as a center, playing about 2/3 of his minutes at center.  His last year with Lebron, he basically only played center, including the whole playoff run to the Finals.  Simmons has never played anything other than guard in his career.  It is a huge jump to have him play PF, let alone center. 

« Reply #757 on: August 23, 2022, 02:46:10 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
The Nets statement today was just regarding KD, right? I don't see Kyrie staying on this team this season. Besides his off court issues, he doesn't fit with Ben Simmons. Both guys need the ball in their hands a lot in order to be effective.

I think the Lakers still want Kyrie, and their backup plan is Schroeder.

« Reply #758 on: August 23, 2022, 02:53:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
The Nets statement today was just regarding KD, right? I don't see Kyrie staying on this team this season. Besides his off court issues, he doesn't fit with Ben Simmons. Both guys need the ball in their hands a lot in order to be effective.

No irving is expected to stay also. They are trying to run back with their current squad to compete for a championship. Obviously getting Westbrook and cutting him makes a complete mockery of that. The lakers fan fantasy appears to be dead. Excited for Westbrook season 2!

« Reply #759 on: August 23, 2022, 04:29:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
It seems Schroeder is going to get little more than the vet minimum. What is the deal with that? He is just considered a complete cancer in the locker room? We obviously played a lot better after he left. Clearly teams don’t view him as a starting pg

« Reply #760 on: August 23, 2022, 04:54:19 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Does this increase the Nets' odds of winning the championship this year now that their Big 3 is intact again.

Was hoping he'd come to us or go out West not named the Lakers or Warriors. Now another eastern juggernaut to deal with (not that they went away) again alongside Milwaukee, Philly, Miami and other young teams.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #761 on: August 23, 2022, 05:00:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Simmons will be standing in no mans land while Kyrie pounds the ball ,  without a hope of getting the ball back or hitting a outside jump shot.   It would amazing difficult to play with these two on the floor at once.

« Reply #762 on: August 23, 2022, 08:40:49 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
How can't you take them seriously? They won 44 games last year.

Conservative games estimate
Irving 29 > 55
Durant 55 > 55
Simmons 0 > 55
Harden 44 > 0
Harris 14 > 55
Curry 14 > 55
Mills 81 > 55
Brown 72 > 0 ---- This is the biggest one
Thomas 66 > 55
Claxton 47 > 55

I'm sure Aldridge and Drummond can be replaced.

Looks like about 47-48 wins to me.

« Reply #763 on: August 23, 2022, 08:48:43 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I actually think Simmons and Irving would work quite well.  Irving definitely is better creating himself with the ball, but he doesn't create well for others, which is something Simmons excels at.  If I was coaching the Nets, I'd absolutely play Simmons at the point and let him start the halfcourt offense. Put Irving off the ball and let him work his magic at times within the flow of the offense. 

« Reply #764 on: August 23, 2022, 08:51:53 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
How can't you take them seriously? They won 44 games last year.

Conservative games estimate
Irving 29 > 55
Durant 55 > 55
Simmons 0 > 55
Harden 44 > 0
Harris 14 > 55
Curry 14 > 55
Mills 81 > 55
Brown 72 > 0 ---- This is the biggest one
Thomas 66 > 55
Claxton 47 > 55

I'm sure Aldridge and Drummond can be replaced.

Looks like about 47-48 wins to me.
They added Warren and O'Neale as well.  Plus, Sharpe and Thomas should be a lot better.  They have so many question marks it is hard to trust them, but if they actually put it together, I think they could legitimately contend.  I don't think they will put it all together though and will probably be in the play-in again and make for a tough out for one of the top seeds, just like this year (except they will be better by the shear fact you'd expect Simmons and Harris to play).