Author Topic: NBA Off Season 2022  (Read 104766 times)

Re: NBA Off Season 2022
« Reply #825 on: August 25, 2022, 10:25:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
well looks like OKC will surpass the Sixers tank job now and no one bats an eye about it.  How the times have changed?
OKC's approach doesn't come across as sleazy as Philly's did.  Same with Houston - seemingly not as sleazy as Philly

Philly I as open about it, that’s the only difference
I think that is correct.  But as I put in the post above, teams have been tanking since the advent of the draft.  Another team, look at the Bulls after Jordan retired the 2nd time.  13 wins (50 game season), 17 wins, 15 wins, 21 wins up to 30 wins and then back down to 23 wins before finally coming out of it.

No question. The Celtics were in no way above the fray either. Particularly the Duncan and Oden years.
a one-two year stretch of trying to get a good pick in the lottery is much different than Philly's blatant trading away of anyone that had talent to continue making high draft picks for several years hoping to hit the jackpot.

OKC is a bit different.  they acquired a young stud in SGA, drafted another kid that looked like a stud pre-injury and have amassed a war chest of draft picks with which they can either utilize on good draft prospects or move in deals to acquire good veteran help.   going into this year pre-injury with Holmgren and SGA returning, OKC would have likely been moving up the standings--not a playoff team but not in the mix for the top pick next year.

« Reply #826 on: August 25, 2022, 11:24:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
well looks like OKC will surpass the Sixers tank job now and no one bats an eye about it.  How the times have changed?

LOL.

Lol yeah this is my reaction too. Guess the pitchforks should come out cause a guy had a freak injury.

« Reply #827 on: August 26, 2022, 12:54:10 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

LOL.

Lol yeah this is my reaction too. Guess the pitchforks should come out cause a guy had a freak injury.

How dare Chet Holmgren get injured and OKC becomes a lottery team again!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #828 on: August 26, 2022, 01:58:23 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

LOL.

It’s very funny. Philly drafted players that were already injured and sat  simmons, noel and Embid out their entire rookie season. This is clearly a different thing than drafting a healthy guy that gets hurt in a pro am. People still with an axe to grind about the process are honestly pretty weird at this point imo. It’s been close to a decade since that started and they never made it out of the second round. It’s clearly not some amazing thing that happened and looking back at that process thread now is just flat out embarrassing for some posters here with okafor in China, saric a fringe nba player and Noel a second or third string center. Some people just get emotionally invested I guess and stop being objective.

« Reply #829 on: August 26, 2022, 02:04:38 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

LOL.

It’s very funny. Philly drafted players that were already injured and sat  simmons, noel and Embid out their entire rookie season. This is clearly a different thing than drafting a healthy guy that gets hurt in a pro am. People still with an axe to grind about the process are honestly pretty weird at this point imo. It’s been close to a decade since that started and they never made it out of the second round. It’s clearly not some amazing thing that happened and looking back at that process thread now is just flat out embarrassing for some posters here with okafor in China, saric a fringe nba player and Noel a second or third string center. Some people just get emotionally invested I guess and stop being objective.

They just couldn't stand the 76ers netting all the lottery picks. Even that trade where we gave them the #1 pick, folks were prob whining why Boston did that. The pick that became Markelle Fultz, that was prob the dagger of some sort.

Regardless, these are still the hated 76ers so they get what they deserved-- for some blatant tanking and coming up with The Process movement lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #830 on: August 26, 2022, 07:20:52 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

LOL.

Yeah, for all of Philly's draft picks, they hit one grand slam, and have an old Harden.  Maxey is a very nice player, but he wasn't part of the "process".

It's interesting to think that they could have Embiid, Ingram and Tatum right now.  Does that validate the process, because those players were available, or undercut it because draft evaluators are imperfect?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #831 on: August 26, 2022, 08:15:57 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

LOL.

Yeah, for all of Philly's draft picks, they hit one grand slam, and have an old Harden.  Maxey is a very nice player, but he wasn't part of the "process".

It's interesting to think that they could have Embiid, Ingram and Tatum right now.  Does that validate the process, because those players were available, or undercut it because draft evaluators are imperfect?

They could have Embiid, Tatum, and Brown also.  I don't think these "could of" hypothetical validate the process at all.  All it validates is what a crap shoot drafting is and if you are going to go all in on rebuilding your team through the draft, there is no guarantee.  It is just devastating to a team to draft someone like Greg Oden if you don't have a bunch of other top picks.  There are huge uncertainties with drafting 19 year old kids and no amount of scouting can get around this fact.

Part of Philly's plan was to have so many high draft picks that sooner or later they would end up with some good players.  In spite of their really bad drafting (and some bad luck) they still have ended up OK but this just is due to shear volume.  I think that is why you see teams that go this route, like OKC seems to be doing, compile so many picks.  This seems to be what Utah is doing also.  You need on average 8-10 picks over 3 or 4 years to get 3 core players to build a contender around.

« Reply #832 on: August 26, 2022, 08:29:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

LOL.

Simmons is far more decorated than Ingram.  Has the All NBA 3rd team, the two 1st team Defense, more all star games (3 to 1), finished 2nd and 4th in DPOY voting, and even got some MVP votes in a season.  He left Philly badly and has now missed 2 full seasons (1 for injury, 1 for mental health), but Ingram isn't on the team that drafted him either. 

But that was the entire point of a multi-year tank i.e. the draft is a crap shoot and you need to maximize your chance of landing the elite players. 

Also, for the record the Thunder did not sign a single free agent this summer and the one veteran they acquired in the draft day trade i.e. JaMychal Green they waived (they got a 1st to take him on).  They weren't acting like a team that was trying to win before Holmgren got injured.  They were clearly going to tank this season regardless, Holmgren's injury just gives them a better excuse to do so.  Remember this was a team that prior to the start of last season that the entire team had played less combined minutes than Lebron James had and that included Favors and Muscala.  They still have 10 players that are in their 1st or 2nd year and Muscala and Favors are still the only players with 5 or more years experience.  They are not a team trying to win games and given that in each of the last two seasons they have completely shut down anyone that was "good" the latter part of the season, they are now entering their 3rd year of blatant tanking, which puts them directly in the Sixers Process category of tanking.  Also, not sure why Simmons is being brought up in the same vein as Noel and Embiid, because Simmons wasn't hurt when he was drafted and was in fact hurt in a Sixers practice at the end of September when he broke his foot (sounds like a pretty similar injury to Holmgren). 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 08:34:58 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #833 on: August 26, 2022, 09:26:03 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

LOL.

Simmons is far more decorated than Ingram.  Has the All NBA 3rd team, the two 1st team Defense, more all star games (3 to 1), finished 2nd and 4th in DPOY voting, and even got some MVP votes in a season.  He left Philly badly and has now missed 2 full seasons (1 for injury, 1 for mental health), but Ingram isn't on the team that drafted him either. 

But that was the entire point of a multi-year tank i.e. the draft is a crap shoot and you need to maximize your chance of landing the elite players. 

Also, for the record the Thunder did not sign a single free agent this summer and the one veteran they acquired in the draft day trade i.e. JaMychal Green they waived (they got a 1st to take him on).  They weren't acting like a team that was trying to win before Holmgren got injured.  They were clearly going to tank this season regardless, Holmgren's injury just gives them a better excuse to do so.  Remember this was a team that prior to the start of last season that the entire team had played less combined minutes than Lebron James had and that included Favors and Muscala.  They still have 10 players that are in their 1st or 2nd year and Muscala and Favors are still the only players with 5 or more years experience.  They are not a team trying to win games and given that in each of the last two seasons they have completely shut down anyone that was "good" the latter part of the season, they are now entering their 3rd year of blatant tanking, which puts them directly in the Sixers Process category of tanking.  Also, not sure why Simmons is being brought up in the same vein as Noel and Embiid, because Simmons wasn't hurt when he was drafted and was in fact hurt in a Sixers practice at the end of September when he broke his foot (sounds like a pretty similar injury to Holmgren).

What difference do Simmons' accolades make?  He's not on the team, he folded in the playoffs, he missed multiple seasons due to injury or holdout, and he clashed with teammates and coaches.  That's not proof of the success of the process.  Ingram -- or Brown, who wasn't seriously considered by anybody to be a top-2 pick at the time -- would have been better picks for Philly.

Regardless, I don't think anybody other than you is buying into your "OKC is the same as Philly" argument.  And, I don't think any of understand how Holgrem's injury is in any way relevant here.  Bad luck isn't the same as the Philly experiment.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #834 on: August 26, 2022, 09:34:36 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

LOL.

What difference do Simmons' accolades make?  He's not on the team, he folded in the playoffs, he missed multiple seasons due to injury or holdout, and he clashed with teammates and coaches.  That's not proof of the success of the process.  Ingram -- or Brown, who wasn't seriously considered by anybody to be a top-2 pick at the time -- would have been better picks for Philly.

Regardless, I don't think anybody other than you is buying into your "OKC is the same as Philly" argument.  And, I don't think any of understand how Holgrem's injury is in any way relevant here.  Bad luck isn't the same as the Philly experiment.

I don't want to get into the argument comparing the process for OKC vs. Philly but I will say that Simmons did get them Harden in the end.  That may be his biggest accomplishment.

« Reply #835 on: August 26, 2022, 09:39:58 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

LOL.

I don't want to get into the argument comparing the process for OKC vs. Philly but I will say that Simmons did get them Harden in the end.  That may be his biggest accomplishment.

Correct.  This is what I said above:

« Reply #836 on: August 26, 2022, 09:49:24 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

LOL.

Correct.  This is what I said above:

OK, yeah, didn't see that.  So my follow up question is what is the best 1-2 punch (Batman and Robin dynamic duo) in the league for this season coming up?

Embiid/Harden
Durant/Irving
James/Davis
Giannis/Middleton
Tatum/Brown
Curry/? ? ? ?  (not sure who his Robin is)

Lot of durability uncertainty with a lot of those players but Embiid and Harden may well be the best.

« Reply #837 on: August 26, 2022, 09:53:46 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
The Process was always overblown in large part because of how open the Sixers were about it.  But teams have been tanking for multiple seasons for years, heck the Sonics/Thunder did it basically starting with the Ray Allen trade for about the same time as the Sixers Process.  The Thunder are doing it again.  Houston is doing it now as well.  Dallas started a 10 year playoff drought with 4 seasons of 28, 22,11, and 13 wins.  Then they won 36 only to go 26, 24, 20, and 19 before finally hitting 40 and making the playoffs at 53 (when Dirk started to come into his own).

Yes, but you've hit on the key difference - that Hinkie staked his reputation on The Process in a 'smartest guy in the room' fashion.

In actuality, as you've said, there wasn't anything exceptional about what he was doing except for being actively anti-competitive and vocal about it.

There's real damage to the NBA brand (as well as the NBA-level players on the 76ers at the time) when you're actively discussing why turning your team into the Washington Generals is actually very BigBrain.

Having a great young player go down with injury isn't really the same thing as Hinkie pulling a con on people to make them think he's of above-average ability as a GM.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #838 on: August 26, 2022, 10:44:12 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
The Process was always overblown in large part because of how open the Sixers were about it.  But teams have been tanking for multiple seasons for years, heck the Sonics/Thunder did it basically starting with the Ray Allen trade for about the same time as the Sixers Process.  The Thunder are doing it again.  Houston is doing it now as well.  Dallas started a 10 year playoff drought with 4 seasons of 28, 22,11, and 13 wins.  Then they won 36 only to go 26, 24, 20, and 19 before finally hitting 40 and making the playoffs at 53 (when Dirk started to come into his own).

Yes, but you've hit on the key difference - that Hinkie staked his reputation on The Process in a 'smartest guy in the room' fashion.

In actuality, as you've said, there wasn't anything exceptional about what he was doing except for being actively anti-competitive and vocal about it.

There's real damage to the NBA brand (as well as the NBA-level players on the 76ers at the time) when you're actively discussing why turning your team into the Washington Generals is actually very BigBrain.

Having a great young player go down with injury isn't really the same thing as Hinkie pulling a con on people to make them think he's of above-average ability as a GM.
Except this is the 3rd year of blatant tanking by the Thunder.  They benched healthy players in each of the last 2 seasons.  They've signed no free agents.  They've sold off veterans for draft picks.  The Thunder have in fact done exactly the same thing the Sixers did.  But it is Presti so it is overlooked.  I mean look at all of the moves in the 2020 offseason (which was November 2020 because of covid).  It is one trade after another of selling off veterans for draft picks and TPE's. The only free agent the Thunder signed that off season was Moses Brown.  The sell off continued through the deadline of that season.  The 2021 off season they continued the same practice, picking up a 1st for taking on Favors and picking up a 1st in the Horford/Walker swap (then buying out Kemba).  The only non-rookie they added was claiming Mamadi Diakite off of waivers from the Bucks (who was off the team in January).  This summer they signed no free agents.

So in the last 3 off seasons the only non-rookies that were signed by the Thunder were Moses Brown and Mamadi Diakite.  They have completely remade the roster building around SGA, a few high draft picks, but mostly 2nd round picks and undrafted players.  You know exactly what the Sixers did. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #839 on: August 26, 2022, 10:55:19 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I’m not even convinced the thunder would have been terrible this year if Chet didn’t get hurt and was an effective rookie (like Mobley was last year). Giddey, SGA, Dort and Chet is a pretty good core and further along than what is happening in Houston or San Antonio. I’m not saying they would have been playoff bound, the west will be better this year than last year when there were just loads of bad teams like the blazers, lakers and pelicans who should all be better this year (along with the clippers and denver). I’m still not getting the concept that a rookie getting a freak injury has anything to do with tanking. It’s acting like presti broke his foot with his bare hands. Just very strange