Author Topic: NBA Off Season 2022  (Read 104484 times)

Re: NBA Off Season 2022
« Reply #780 on: August 24, 2022, 05:03:06 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
There’s fear Oklahoma City Thunder No. 2 pick Chet Holmgren has suffered ligament damage in his foot and he is undergoing further opinions, sources tell - Shams

Man, Hopefully nothing too serious
A lot of us talk bout this potential happening because of his frame…Really hate this for him or anyone

Is frame crazy different than Durant as a rookie?
I think it is. I think Durant was wider in the hips and shoulders and looked as if he could support significant muscle growth and weight addition. Durant also seemed to move better and faster. Better athleticism? Sure, but maybe because the overall frame was better and it allowed for better movement.

I do remember some decent concern about how lanky Durant was.  There was also the question of strength and how he would be able to adjust at a physical level and if his body could handle. I know he bombed the bench press test at the combine which certainly raised eyebrows

This is what I was remembering too.

« Reply #781 on: August 24, 2022, 05:17:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
There’s fear Oklahoma City Thunder No. 2 pick Chet Holmgren has suffered ligament damage in his foot and he is undergoing further opinions, sources tell - Shams

A lot of us talk bout this potential happening because of his frame…Really hate this for him or anyone

I think it is. I think Durant was wider in the hips and shoulders and looked as if he could support significant muscle growth and weight addition. Durant also seemed to move better and faster. Better athleticism? Sure, but maybe because the overall frame was better and it allowed for better movement.

I do remember some decent concern about how lanky Durant was.  There was also the question of strength and how he would be able to adjust at a physical level and if his body could handle. I know he bombed the bench press test at the combine which certainly raised eyebrows
Oh, absolutely there were questions, which certainly have been answered. But just comparing the frames of Holmgren and Durant at that age, I think there are clear differences. Perhaps those differences are why Durant was able to be an all-time great vs perhaps someone that never got close to that because the frame couldn't hold up and held them back.

« Reply #782 on: August 24, 2022, 06:03:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

To be fair, Durant has had a fair few injuries
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #783 on: August 24, 2022, 06:47:20 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Drafting is a crap shoot. Some really skinny guys are durable. Some aren’t. There was risk with Durant but it didn’t come to fruition. Other skinny guys don’t hold up. I don’t know how you can know.

« Reply #784 on: August 24, 2022, 07:36:09 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

To be fair, Durant has had a fair few injuries

He reportedly rolled his ankle and in the video that shows the injury, it appears that it was already wrapped with black tape. Feels a bit premature to say that his body type can't hold up after something like that...

Holmgren suffered an ankle injury during a Pro-Am game Saturday, Brandon Rahbar of DailyThunder.com. reports.

Holmgren suffered the injury when trying to stop LeBron James on a fast break, as the rookie rolled his ankle on the play and came out of the contest. There's no official update regarding the severity of the injury, though Holmgren was later spotted trying to walk off the court. He didn't return to the game before the contest was called off due to poor court conditions.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #785 on: August 25, 2022, 01:00:53 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Woj: The Los Angeles Lakers are in advanced talks on a trade to acquire Utah Jazz guard Patrick Beverley for Talen Horton-Tucker and Stanley Johnson, sources tell ESPN. Deal could be finalized as soon as Thursday.

Woah. Interesting. So he's taking some of Westbrook's minutes?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #786 on: August 25, 2022, 04:27:39 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Woj: The Los Angeles Lakers are in advanced talks on a trade to acquire Utah Jazz guard Patrick Beverley for Talen Horton-Tucker and Stanley Johnson, sources tell ESPN. Deal could be finalized as soon as Thursday.

What a stupid move by LA. Do they have any assets anymore?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #787 on: August 25, 2022, 04:58:58 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
"The best offer I'm told that the Nets had on the table was from the Celtics.

Jaylen Brown, Derrick White and a first round pick."

@ShamsCharania
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #788 on: August 25, 2022, 08:07:41 AM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140

Lebron’s commitment (signing the extension) is the precursor to a Westbrook’s trade. Whether it’s for the Pacers package or another, I expect a Westbrook trade soon.

LA just trying to mitigate cost now (probably negotiating to put protections on the pick(s) they gave up.

Adding Beverly is a great win now move for the Lakers; elite glue guy, motor, defender, and good 3PT shooter. With Beverly they regained what they lost with Caruso’s exit.

Hield and Turner for Westbrook can make the Lakers a contender. Goes without saying, I like our chances against anyone.

« Reply #789 on: August 25, 2022, 08:20:10 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Lebron’s commitment (signing the extension) is the precursor to a Westbrook’s trade. Whether it’s for the Pacers package or another, I expect a Westbrook trade soon.

LA just trying to mitigate cost now (probably negotiating to put protections on the pick(s) they gave up.

Adding Beverly is a great win now move for the Lakers; elite glue guy, motor, defender, and good 3PT shooter. With Beverly they regained what they lost with Caruso’s exit.

Hield and Turner for Westbrook can make the Lakers a contender. Goes without saying, I like our chances against anyone.
I just can't see the appeal for Indy to give up 2 guys that can contribute on lesser deals for a player no one wants even if they get 2 picks from LA (which are no guarantee to be lottery picks)

« Reply #790 on: August 25, 2022, 08:38:06 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I just can't see the appeal for Indy to give up 2 guys that can contribute on lesser deals for a player no one wants even if they get 2 picks from LA (which are no guarantee to be lottery picks)
They've been trying to trade Turner for years and couldn't find a taker and Sacramento couldn't move Hield for anything of value and then he was basically just salary filler in the Sabonis/Haliburton trade.  Getting 2 long in the future picks for an expiring contract you can buy out and just go into full on tanking this year makes a lot of sense for Indiana.  Now sure if they could get something of value other than future 1st's for Turner and Hield, then it makes sense to just do that, but they obviously can't find anything of value for them.  The Pacers could also include Theis or McConnell and drop more long term salary on bench level players.  Heck, if it was Westbrook and Nunn then it could be Turner, Hield, Theis, and McConnell.  That is a tremendous amount of long term salary dumped by the Pacers and I think that still makes sense for the Lakers as it adds some quality depth.

Lakers
PG - Walker, Beverley, McConnell
SG - Hield, Reaves, Christie
SF - James, Toscano-Anderson, Brown
PF - Davis, Theis, Gabriel
C - Turner, Bryant, Jones

If James and Davis can stay healthy enough in the regular season and enter the playoffs healthy, that is a team that could win the title.  Wouldn't be the favorite or anything, but certainly if it breaks right could win it. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #791 on: August 25, 2022, 08:53:02 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

They've been trying to trade Turner for years and couldn't find a taker and Sacramento couldn't move Hield for anything of value and then he was basically just salary filler in the Sabonis/Haliburton trade.  Getting 2 long in the future picks for an expiring contract you can buy out and just go into full on tanking this year makes a lot of sense for Indiana.  Now sure if they could get something of value other than future 1st's for Turner and Hield, then it makes sense to just do that, but they obviously can't find anything of value for them.  The Pacers could also include Theis or McConnell and drop more long term salary on bench level players.  Heck, if it was Westbrook and Nunn then it could be Turner, Hield, Theis, and McConnell.  That is a tremendous amount of long term salary dumped by the Pacers and I think that still makes sense for the Lakers as it adds some quality depth.

Lakers
PG - Walker, Beverley, McConnell
SG - Hield, Reaves, Christie
SF - James, Toscano-Anderson, Brown
PF - Davis, Theis, Gabriel
C - Turner, Bryant, Jones

If James and Davis can stay healthy enough in the regular season and enter the playoffs healthy, that is a team that could win the title.  Wouldn't be the favorite or anything, but certainly if it breaks right could win it.

Yeah, for two #1s, I do it for Indy.  They would just cut Westbrook.

I think one of the first trades I proposed this off-season was Westbrook plus two #1s for Brogdon + Turner.  Brogdon got traded to a vastly superior franchise, but I think the Lakers should do the same trade involving Hield.

Even without the added pieces you're mentioning, a starting lineup of Turner / Davis / Lebron / Hield / Beverley gives them a puncher's chance.  Both the offense and defense could potentially be top-10.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #792 on: August 25, 2022, 09:27:13 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Why would any team help the Lakers??
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #793 on: August 25, 2022, 09:31:31 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
They would help themselves in the process.  Isn't that the point of a trade?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #794 on: August 25, 2022, 09:51:01 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Hard core fans of Lebron James constantly think up trades that will improve his chances of winning a title. Been happening for years. Now fortunately the other teams don’t have gms that are Lebron fans so they don’t just do things like give irving away to them for free.