Author Topic: NBA Off Season 2022  (Read 105064 times)

Re: NBA Off Season 2022
« Reply #1170 on: October 14, 2022, 03:28:11 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
ClutchPoints: “The Lakers at some point here will start engaging teams again on possible Russell Westbrook trades. They paused it at the start of training camp.” @wojespn on the Lakers’ plans.

It was worth a try I guess.  Clearly, Westbrook does not want to be there.

« Reply #1171 on: October 14, 2022, 03:33:41 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Couple interesting updates….

The Los Angeles Lakers will bring Russell Westbrook off the bench for their final preseason game, a move that may be a precursor to a longer look at the nine-time All-Star guard quarterbacking the second team, sources told ESPN on Friday. Lakers coach Darvin Ham and Westbrook discussed the possibility of him serving as a sixth man throughout the offseason, and sources said the two discussed it again Thursday ahead of Friday’s game against the Sacramento Kings. – via Adrian Wojnarowski, Dave McMenamin @ ESPN

Shams Charania: The Detroit Pistons are likely to waive four-time All-Star Kemba Walker before Monday’s deadline to set regular season roster, sources tell me and @James Edwards III. The move will bring Detroit’s roster to 15 guaranteed spots. – via Twitter ShamsCharania

Westbrook off the bench?  Yeah, I don't see it.  If Ham can make that work, he will deserve coach of the year.  I guess if Westbrook's problem is that he doesn't like playing with LeBron and/or Davis, this is a way to have him on the court on his own, at least for much of the time.

But who is going to sit in the 4th quarter?

Westbrook off the bench is good in theory, but his ego would never allow it. He needs the ball in his hands like Lebron does. I don’t know why Lakers management ever thought this was going to work. Westbrook is not an off ball guard.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1172 on: October 14, 2022, 03:41:50 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

The Los Angeles Lakers will bring Russell Westbrook off the bench for their final preseason game, a move that may be a precursor to a longer look at the nine-time All-Star guard quarterbacking the second team, sources told ESPN on Friday. Lakers coach Darvin Ham and Westbrook discussed the possibility of him serving as a sixth man throughout the offseason, and sources said the two discussed it again Thursday ahead of Friday’s game against the Sacramento Kings. – via Adrian Wojnarowski, Dave McMenamin @ ESPN

Shams Charania: The Detroit Pistons are likely to waive four-time All-Star Kemba Walker before Monday’s deadline to set regular season roster, sources tell me and @James Edwards III. The move will bring Detroit’s roster to 15 guaranteed spots. – via Twitter ShamsCharania

Regarding Kemba, this is a reminder that Woj gets things wrong sometimes, too.

Adrian Wojnarowski

@wojespn
Kemba Walker and the Pistons are expected to discuss a contract buyout that will allow him to become a free agent, sources tell ESPN. Walker landed with Detroit as part of three-way trade with Charlotte and New York.
9:47 PM · Jun 23, 2022
·Twitter Web App

https://mobile.twitter.com/wojespn/status/1540149665395625996

I think that there's some intervening reporting.  Essentially, the reason that a buyout was never worked out is because there was no reason for Kemba to give money back without a team ready to sign him to guaranteed money.

Sure, but when Woj tweets "expected to", that's his parlance for saying it's a done deal that hasn't been announced.  In this case, it simply wasn't.  Maybe it's because Kemba wouldn't give up enough money, or maybe it's because Detroit decided they'd like a mid-level expiring for use in a potential trade down the line later in the offseason.  Just putting it out there that Woj isn't always correct with his tweets, and everything he says shouldn't be taken as gospel; it's good to remember that no one gets it right all the time.

« Reply #1173 on: October 14, 2022, 03:52:41 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Westbrook off the bench?  Yeah, I don't see it.  If Ham can make that work, he will deserve coach of the year.  I guess if Westbrook's problem is that he doesn't like playing with LeBron and/or Davis, this is a way to have him on the court on his own, at least for much of the time.

Westbrook off the bench is good in theory, but his ego would never allow it. He needs the ball in his hands like Lebron does. I don’t know why Lakers management ever thought this was going to work. Westbrook is not an off ball guard.

Not sure I agree.  Getting Westbrook. LeBron, and Davis to play together was worth a shot.  The team had a chance to contend if they could figure it out.  Westbrook off the bench is pretty much conceding the team has no chance.

Based on that story the other day where Westbrook wouldn't huddle with the team, it seems like Westbrook has checked out.  He is essentially forcing a trade.  Good luck with that.  Train wreck in the making.

« Reply #1174 on: October 14, 2022, 04:20:30 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Not sure I agree.  Getting Westbrook. LeBron, and Davis to play together was worth a shot.  The team had a chance to contend if they could figure it out.  Westbrook off the bench is pretty much conceding the team has no chance.

Based on that story the other day where Westbrook wouldn't huddle with the team, it seems like Westbrook has checked out.  He is essentially forcing a trade.  Good luck with that.  Train wreck in the making.

Sure, on paper it sounds good, but you can’t have 3 starters  that are mediocre shooters. Lebron’s career 3pt shooting: 34%. AD is 30% as is Westbrook. Russell and Lebron are also below 75% from the line for their careers, AD is at 79%. So 3 of your starting 5 have average to below average shots and unless you have a stretch 5 which they don’t, you’re not  getting much shooting out of the center position either. I don’t see how that was ever going to work, especially with how important 3pt shooting is in todays game.

When the Lakers won the championship a few years ago they had Danny Green, KCP and Bradley playing big minutes and all shooting a high percentage from 3pt. That’s the formula for winning with Lebron.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1175 on: October 14, 2022, 04:50:10 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Sure, on paper it sounds good, but you can’t have 3 starters  that are mediocre shooters. Lebron’s career 3pt shooting: 34%. AD is 30% as is Westbrook. Russell and Lebron are also below 75% from the line for their careers, AD is at 79%. So 3 of your starting 5 have average to below average shots and unless you have a stretch 5 which they don’t, you’re not  getting much shooting out of the center position either. I don’t see how that was ever going to work, especially with how important 3pt shooting is in todays game.

When the Lakers won the championship a few years ago they had Danny Green, KCP and Bradley playing big minutes and all shooting a high percentage from 3pt. That’s the formula for winning with Lebron.

I don't disagree with that, I disagreed with the idea that Westbrook off the bench was "good in theory".  However unlikely you thought it was that Westbrook, LeBron, and Davis could work as starters, it is even less likely that it would somehow work with Westbrook playing off the bench.

And if Westbrook really doesn't want to be there, as it seems is the case, there is no chance anything is going to work in any case.

« Reply #1176 on: October 14, 2022, 06:26:14 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Rockets waiving Derrick Favors.

Sign him??

« Reply #1177 on: October 14, 2022, 06:32:04 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Sign him??

Yes, please.

Shams Charania: The Houston Rockets are planning to waive center Derrick Favors, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Rockets needed to make a roster cut to reach 15 guaranteed spots. – via Twitter

« Reply #1178 on: October 14, 2022, 06:50:26 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Sign him??

Yes, please.

Shams Charania: The Houston Rockets are planning to waive center Derrick Favors, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Rockets needed to make a roster cut to reach 15 guaranteed spots. – via Twitter
Get him Brad!!

« Reply #1179 on: October 14, 2022, 06:55:26 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

Sign him??

Yes, please.

Get him Brad!!

He would be a good fit behind Horford.

« Reply #1180 on: October 14, 2022, 06:55:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Sign him??

Yes, please.

Get him Brad!!

Yes.  1000 times yes.  I'm sure that he'll end up in Brooklyn, but he'd be a tremendous fit here.

My dream buyouts for the Celtics have been Favors and Josh Richardson (more toward the deadline).  Let's get it done.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1181 on: October 14, 2022, 07:04:28 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Sign him??

Yes, please.

Get him Brad!!

Yes.  1000 times yes.  I'm sure that he'll end up in Brooklyn, but he'd be a tremendous fit here.

My dream buyouts for the Celtics have been Favors and Josh Richardson (more toward the deadline).  Let's get it done.

Yeah, Favors has been on the top of my potential summer buyout list since we decided to stand pat at July.  I hope we get him!

« Reply #1182 on: October 14, 2022, 07:35:03 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Favors only 31? Thought he was older
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #1183 on: October 14, 2022, 07:40:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Brad should entice him with a starter role, at least until Rob returns. I wonder if the Blake Griffin signing makes it less likely he’d come here.

« Reply #1184 on: October 14, 2022, 08:01:03 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Sign him??

Yes, please.

Wow, that is big news.  Do you just sign him and have extra bigs or do you cut someone, maybe Kornet, to make room for him?