Author Topic: NBA Off Season 2022  (Read 104775 times)

Re: NBA Off Season 2022
« Reply #1140 on: October 03, 2022, 02:22:49 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Would the Pacers trade Hield and Turner for Horford, Gallo, and a future first?

I don't see how that'd be much different than the Lakers offer

« Reply #1141 on: October 03, 2022, 02:37:58 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Vice president of basketball operations and general manager Rob Pelinka, owner Jeanie Buss and senior basketball adviser Kurt Rambis seriously considered sending Westbrook and unprotected first-round picks in 2027 and 2029 to the Pacers for center Myles Turner and guard Buddy Hield, sources said. They held a series of meetings in the days leading up to camp to analyze the possible Pacers deal from every angle, with the views of Ham and Lakers executives Joey and Jesse Buss also being strongly considered in the process. The organization even delayed the midweek news conference for Pelinka and Ham as the debate continued…

If they were going to gamble on a make-or-break move of this magnitude, the thinking went, then everyone had to have confidence in the same vision. But when that wasn’t the case, sources say, the choice was made by Pelinka to remain patient and see, yet again, if Westbrook might find a way to make this imperfect fit with the Lakers work.

Too many chefs in the kitchen.  You need a strong, decisive decision-maker.

If the Lakers are going to ride it out, it should be because they think a better deal will come along this season, rather than holding out hope that Westbrook will finally "get it".  To me, the real gamble is doing nothing and wasting another season of Lebron / Davis.
I think Hield and Turner would be near perfect fits in LA, so the only reason I can think of for them not to do it, is they think they can do better with the 27 and 29 1st rounders.  Frankly, I'm not sure they can, but maybe they can, so I can at least see why they wouldn't do that trade.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1142 on: October 03, 2022, 04:06:44 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85

« Reply #1143 on: October 04, 2022, 10:24:00 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Not sure where to put this but Ben Simmons actually played 19 minutes last night.  3-6 from the field, no 3s taken, 0-2 from the line.  Over all -10 +/-.  After the game, he said:

Simmons told reporters post-game he thought he would be “nervous” making his return to the court but in a positive sign for the Nets, he instead said he was “excited”. “Amazing,” he added, when asked how he felt. “I’m grateful to just step on that floor in the NBA. So yeah, a lot of fun out there.”

My post game question would have been, so Ben, when do you think you will make your first free throw of the season?

« Reply #1144 on: October 04, 2022, 10:37:54 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Tyler Herro's Incentives: • $1M if he wins MVP • $1M if he wins DPOY • $1M if he earns All-NBA 1st Team • $1M if he earns All-NBA 2nd Team • $500K if he earns All-NBA 3rd Team *Must play in 75% of Regular Season Games *Incentives are capped at a max of $2.5M per season

I find that last line funny.  If Herro wins MVP, DPOY and is 1st Team All-NBA, he gets screwed out of $500k.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1145 on: October 04, 2022, 10:42:17 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Such a bad Herro signing. Was another team going to pay him that much? He’s not that good.

« Reply #1146 on: October 04, 2022, 11:04:52 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The annual NBA GM survey is in:

https://www.nba.com/news/2022-23-gm-survey

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1147 on: October 04, 2022, 11:14:29 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

I'm fine with this.  Let someone else wear the "favorites" crown too.  I'd rather see the team underestimated.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1148 on: October 04, 2022, 11:23:09 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!

I think that's fair tbh. Yes injuries are part of the game but you wonder if MIL might have won in the series against us if they had Middleton. They're still an elite team. Golden State and LAC make sense where they're at. Boston's also had a little bit of turmoil in the past few months (Ime suspension, Gallinari injury, etc.) so I imagine that also factors in
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1149 on: October 04, 2022, 12:52:14 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
It’s all coming together for Russell Westbrick and the Lakers.

5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #1150 on: October 04, 2022, 02:59:03 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
So it looks like Jeff Bezos put his hat in the ring to buy the suns. I wish this ownership team up for sale so we can get a billionaire of our own to buy it
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #1151 on: October 04, 2022, 03:04:41 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
So it looks like Jeff Bezos put his hat in the ring to buy the suns. I wish this ownership team up for sale so we can get a billionaire of our own to buy it

I wonder if he’d move them to Seattle and rename them the Rain.

« Reply #1152 on: October 04, 2022, 03:06:33 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

It’s got to be the right person.

Not all Billionaires have the team’s best interest at heart or the brains to run a successful franchise.

Just look at Stan Kroenke, one of the richest men on earth yet he holds the Rams franchise hostage in an attempt to get a free a new stadium, when that failed he simply moves the team to LA.

Another example is Ballmer, he’s richest sports owner in North America and after a decade of ownership, he’s accomplished nothing and acts like an idiotic goon. I do appreciate he’s building a new stadium for the Clippers, but he’s not really a great team owner.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 03:16:52 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #1153 on: October 04, 2022, 04:03:02 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

It’s got to be the right person.

Not all Billionaires have the team’s best interest at heart or the brains to run a successful franchise.

Just look at Stan Kroenke, one of the richest men on earth yet he holds the Rams franchise hostage in an attempt to get a free a new stadium, when that failed he simply moves the team to LA.

Another example is Ballmer, he’s richest sports owner in North America and after a decade of ownership, he’s accomplished nothing and acts like an idiotic goon. I do appreciate he’s building a new stadium for the Clippers, but he’s not really a great team owner.
Ballmer acts like an idiotic goon at times, but he also has spent a lot of money on not just players, but coaches, staff, facilities, etc.  He genuinely seems like he wants to win and money doesn't appear to be a stumbling block.  And the Clippers have made it farther under his watch than any season in their history (and that includes their Buffalo and San Diego days).  There are far worse owners to have than a guy that will spend money and who cares.  He is also pretty new to the whole ownership thing.  Dan Gilbert acted much the same way early on in his Cavalier ownership days and he mellowed out quite a bit in their title contending days (and that was before his recent health issues).  I'd be perfectly fine if Ballmer was the owner of my favorite team.  At least I know he cares and will spend money to win.  Those are the two most important things in my view to winning. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1154 on: October 04, 2022, 04:31:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This team doesn't need a billionaire owner. It's self sustaining. It makes massive profit every year. The group bought the team for $360 million. It's now worth $3.55 billion. The team grew in value $3.195 billion in 20 years.

All they need to do is allow Brad to spend. They have gobs of money and will probably still make profit with deep playoff runs while having a very large tax bill.