Author Topic: NBA Off Season 2022  (Read 106167 times)

Re: NBA Off Season 2022
« Reply #1005 on: September 16, 2022, 03:30:41 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Again, this has nothing to do with what Alex Jones says.

I do think you should re-read my post one more time, because pointing out that it’s a casual synonym to words you perhaps should have used instead is my point.

I don’t know how the word was used in your personal life or experiences that made you have such a visceral reaction to it, but it does not change the appropriateness or meaning of the word. It’s entirely appropriate and accurate in the way I have used it. This was a very strange conversation and I think we have reached the end of it.

Yeah imagine that - I hold the quaint opinion that words have meaning.

Anyway, you do you CC, TP for the banter :)

I’m curious, do you think that Alex Jones is unhinged? That a majority of his followers are? In a colloquial way or otherwise?

My phone’s voice detection  just translated “followers” to “fellow warriors”, haha.  Conservative / Trumpian bias?
I know this wasn't directed towards me, but Alex Jones is not unhinged and neither are the majority of the people that listen to them.  Jones caters to the fringe of society, but the fringe of society aren't unhinged just because they are the fringe of society.  Unhinged has a very specific medical connotation to it, i.e. people that have lost their basis in reality, that are unstable, distraught, deranged, unbalanced, etc.  Most of the people that listen to Jones are not in fact unhinged.  They are stable, they hold jobs, they function in society, etc.  Their world view is distorted and not accurate, but that doesn't make them mentally unstable, unbalanced, or distraught.   So I agree with what Kern is trying to say and portray.  Just because a person may have "crazy" beliefs, it doesn't make them unhinged.

You and Kern seem to be ignoring a colloquial meaning, though?

I think "their world view is distorted and not accurate" or "'crazy' beliefs" fits that colloquial definition.

In a world where "literally" colloquially means "not literally", I think we can let those using "unhinged" in a not strictly medical sense off the hook.  (And, I haven't followed any links for definitions, but I'd be shocked if "unhinged" had a clinical meaning, unlike words that did in the past, such as "retarded", "imbecile", "moron", and "idiot", all of which developed colloquial meanings.

Roy, I have worked with mental health messaging for my previous job at a large health care provider. You are correct that unhinged is not in the same category as those terms you mentioned, at least within the United States. Contrary to what Moranis said it is not actually a clinical term used to diagnosis anything. I would say I’m fairly liberal and “pc” overall but there becomes a point where we are just looking for things to be offended about. Calling a guy unhinged for sharing a guy that believes the government is turning frogs gay, school shootings are fake and the government creates tornadoes is an extremely fair use of the phrase.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 05:10:06 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #1006 on: September 16, 2022, 09:00:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1553
Saying Sandy Hook was staged is enough for me to consider Jones unhinged to a degree.  What sick Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again. does something like that?

He's a despicable human.
Oh I agree he is a despicable human that is so driven by ratings and money that he will say anything, but watching clips of the Sandy Hook trial, he wasn't someone that was disassociated from reality, which is what someone who is unhinged is.  Alex Jones knows exactly what he is doing.  He is an awful terrible human, but he isn't unhinged.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1007 on: September 16, 2022, 09:10:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Saying Sandy Hook was staged is enough for me to consider Jones unhinged to a degree.  What sick Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again. does something like that?

He's a despicable human.
Oh I agree he is a despicable human that is so driven by ratings and money that he will say anything, but watching clips of the Sandy Hook trial, he wasn't someone that was disassociated from reality, which is what someone who is unhinged is.  Alex Jones knows exactly what he is doing.  He is an awful terrible human, but he isn't unhinged.
This is what I am saying in a few CE forum discussions when it comes to gun violence/control issues. So many want to turn the motives behind shootings into a mental health issue, when I contend that it is, in many cases, simply a situation of someone just being a bad/evil person doing bad/evil things and that they aren't necessarily mentally ill.

I think it would be good if society could differentiate between the two. Like in this case, I don't see Alex Jones as being mentally ill. The guy is just a bad, evil dude doing all he can out of greed.

« Reply #1008 on: September 16, 2022, 09:53:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Again, this has nothing to do with what Alex Jones says.

I do think you should re-read my post one more time, because pointing out that it’s a casual synonym to words you perhaps should have used instead is my point.

I don’t know how the word was used in your personal life or experiences that made you have such a visceral reaction to it, but it does not change the appropriateness or meaning of the word. It’s entirely appropriate and accurate in the way I have used it. This was a very strange conversation and I think we have reached the end of it.

Yeah imagine that - I hold the quaint opinion that words have meaning.

Anyway, you do you CC, TP for the banter :)

I’m curious, do you think that Alex Jones is unhinged? That a majority of his followers are? In a colloquial way or otherwise?

My phone’s voice detection  just translated “followers” to “fellow warriors”, haha.  Conservative / Trumpian bias?
I know this wasn't directed towards me, but Alex Jones is not unhinged and neither are the majority of the people that listen to them.  Jones caters to the fringe of society, but the fringe of society aren't unhinged just because they are the fringe of society.  Unhinged has a very specific medical connotation to it, i.e. people that have lost their basis in reality, that are unstable, distraught, deranged, unbalanced, etc.  Most of the people that listen to Jones are not in fact unhinged.  They are stable, they hold jobs, they function in society, etc.  Their world view is distorted and not accurate, but that doesn't make them mentally unstable, unbalanced, or distraught.   So I agree with what Kern is trying to say and portray.  Just because a person may have "crazy" beliefs, it doesn't make them unhinged.
I would argue that just because his conspiracism is widespread doesn't make it any less delusional.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1009 on: September 16, 2022, 10:02:01 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

He's a despicable human.

Just to be clear “disassociated from reality” is a completely made up definition by Moranis. Here is the actual definition from Miriam Webster “highly disturbed, unstable, or distraught.”

Here is from Colin’s dictionary “If you say that someone comes or becomes unhinged, you mean that they begin to behave in an uncontrolled or unreasonable way.”

It is pretty important in these discussions we just don’t make up our own definitions for words and mislead the forum.

Also just to clarify again this is not an actual clinical term that is another part of this discussion that people have been providing misleading info on.

Alex Jones is clearly behaving in an unreasonable way. Don’t really get how this is a discussion but let’s at least use the real meaning of words in doing so.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 10:07:51 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #1010 on: September 16, 2022, 10:19:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

He's a despicable human.

Just to be clear “disassociated from reality” is a completely made up definition by Moranis. Here is the actual definition from Miriam Webster “highly disturbed, unstable, or distraught.”

Here is from Colin’s dictionary “If you say that someone comes or becomes unhinged, you mean that they begin to behave in an uncontrolled or unreasonable way.”

It is pretty important in these discussions we just don’t make up our own definitions for words and mislead the forum.

Also just to clarify again this is not an actual clinical term that is another part of this discussion that people have been providing misleading info on.

Alex Jones is clearly behaving in an unreasonable way. Don’t really get how this is a discussion but let’s at least use the real meaning of words in doing so.
I see it as Alex Jones uses his position and says the things he does to maximize his income. He is making deliberate accusations and pushing certain ideology out of greed. I don't believe that Alex Jones believes 90% of the stupid crap he says. He says what he has to say to bring in the most money into his pocket.

To me, being a greedy, despicable dink is a better description of Alex Jones. He's not unhinged. He very deliberately does what he does to make money. That's not in any way unhinged if it's something that he is doing in a mentally sound, deliberate manner. Like if he was just acting.

« Reply #1011 on: September 16, 2022, 10:51:15 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

He's a despicable human.

I see it as Alex Jones uses his position and says the things he does to maximize his income. He is making deliberate accusations and pushing certain ideology out of greed. I don't believe that Alex Jones believes 90% of the stupid crap he says. He says what he has to say to bring in the most money into his pocket.

To me, being a greedy, despicable dink is a better description of Alex Jones. He's not unhinged. He very deliberately does what he does to make money. That's not in any way unhinged if it's something that he is doing in a mentally sound, deliberate manner. Like if he was just acting.

We are kind of getting into a rabbit hole here. But whether or not he actually believes it, Alex Jones is still extremely disturbed for continuing to tell his followers that Sandy hook was fake even after it became apparent his followers were harassing the families of the victims (people who had bury their little kids). This is really disturbing stuff in my mind whether he is doing it to make money or not it is just erratic, dangerous, unhinged and unreasonable (the actual dictionary meaning from above and you could use 50 adjectives here before I would say “greedy”). If someone bombs a building we wouldn’t call them “not disturbed just greedy” if they happen to financially benefit from an insurance claim on the building as their motive. Seems like a very strange splitting of hairs for a guy doing stuff that is leading to very legitimate awful real life consequences. The fact that he has continued to do it even after seeing the consequences also shows he is behaving in an uncontrolled way (another actual definition of unhinged from the dictionary) . He is unable to stop.

Also Nick, do you really want to hitch your wagon to this being just a greedy guy? The announcer of young Turks calls him a lunatic and mentally unstable in this clip alone (which are both much harsher language than unhinged)

https://youtu.be/ZbZor2HNPps
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 11:11:12 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #1012 on: September 17, 2022, 06:45:22 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2535
I’d place him as worse than the most despicable con artists in our history (Ponzi, Madoff) - people who sought their personal end game without any concern for what lay in their wake, without any concern for the financial or emotional consequences to the people they victimize. That may better classify him as “antisocial” or “sociopathic”.  This doesn’t suggest delusional thinking but rather a type of thinking that is missing something that most people have. Which is essentially capacity for experiencing enough guilt/conscience to influence one’s actions.  Jones seemed to be pretty unfettered in his live performances and I’m not aware of any indicators that his interactions off-camera were any less aligned with his message or indicative of mixed feelings about it.

For one step further, he’s pretty close to a serial rapist in my book. The victimization and utter violation of people who have had perhaps the worst possible thing happen to them in their lives is almost hard to fathom. That he calculated that it would be a money-maker for him is both the fulfillment of a compulsion for himself and as astounding a level of disrespect (not strong enough word) for his audience as possible. That he believed without question that he could squeeze money from his followers with a story that this massacre of children was all an act shows how vulnerable his audience is. His willingness to manipulate that vulnerability and to callously add insult to injury (again, not strong enough words) to the pain of the parents and community in Newton is tantamount to rape (if too strong a word then find me one stronger than conman or sociopath or a lot stronger than unhinged).

« Reply #1013 on: September 17, 2022, 08:35:15 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Raptors signed Josh Jackson to trading camp contract. Wish we had done that.

« Reply #1014 on: September 17, 2022, 09:53:25 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’d place him as worse than the most despicable con artists in our history (Ponzi, Madoff) - people who sought their personal end game without any concern for what lay in their wake, without any concern for the financial or emotional consequences to the people they victimize. That may better classify him as “antisocial” or “sociopathic”.  This doesn’t suggest delusional thinking but rather a type of thinking that is missing something that most people have. Which is essentially capacity for experiencing enough guilt/conscience to influence one’s actions.  Jones seemed to be pretty unfettered in his live performances and I’m not aware of any indicators that his interactions off-camera were any less aligned with his message or indicative of mixed feelings about it.

For one step further, he’s pretty close to a serial rapist in my book. The victimization and utter violation of people who have had perhaps the worst possible thing happen to them in their lives is almost hard to fathom. That he calculated that it would be a money-maker for him is both the fulfillment of a compulsion for himself and as astounding a level of disrespect (not strong enough word) for his audience as possible. That he believed without question that he could squeeze money from his followers with a story that this massacre of children was all an act shows how vulnerable his audience is. His willingness to manipulate that vulnerability and to callously add insult to injury (again, not strong enough words) to the pain of the parents and community in Newton is tantamount to rape (if too strong a word then find me one stronger than conman or sociopath or a lot stronger than unhinged).
Bingo. He is the cause of a lot of psychological violence
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1015 on: September 17, 2022, 11:58:54 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Bingo. He is the cause of a lot of psychological violence

Tps to you both.

« Reply #1016 on: September 17, 2022, 02:32:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25623
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
PJ Dozier is signing a deal with the Twolves.  I’m surprised that we didn’t give him a look.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1017 on: September 17, 2022, 04:04:06 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
PJ Dozier is signing a deal with the Twolves.  I’m surprised that we didn’t give him a look.
Did he torn his ACL last season?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #1018 on: September 17, 2022, 04:10:53 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 987

He did.  Probably won’t be available for training camp.

« Reply #1019 on: September 17, 2022, 06:42:16 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
He did.  Probably won’t be available for training camp.

Between roster, 2-way, and Camp deals, we have:

Smart, Brown, Brogdon, White, Pritchard, Davison, Thomas, Valentine

Isn't that enough guards?