Author Topic: Ads  (Read 33804 times)

Ads
« on: April 22, 2022, 03:47:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I know there is a thread on this somewhere, but I couldn't find it. I am getting a lot of ads lately on this forum about how free speech is under attack by the woke mob and trying to get me to sign a petition. This seems like particularly weird advertising to just be trying to get people to sign a petition. Is there any way we can just have normal ads for like jamba juice? Don't really see this on other sites.

Re: Ads
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 04:42:41 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Think these are ads by Google. I'm outside the states and theyre showing local ads for me.

I think these are personalized based on what you view on Google products. For example any news article you might have clicked on Google, any YouTube vids...

I think you can click the little "i" button on the top right of the ad to switch off personalized ads.

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 04:45:36 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Download uBlock / adblock / whichever ad blocker you want. No more ads anymore. Problem solved once and for all.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 05:39:52 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 04:56:23 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
Download uBlock / adblock / whichever ad blocker you want. No more ads any more. Problem solved once and for all.

Ads fund the site though (I assume)

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 05:26:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Even if I could, I wouldn’t change anything Celtics-related right now, including this site.  I’m superstitious.

And hey, free speech is better than all the religious advertising, right?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 05:53:43 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Even if I could, I wouldn’t change anything Celtics-related right now, including this site.  I’m superstitious.

It is marginally better than the extreme religious ads, but it’s a highly political post which you don’t normally see on any other page.   And a direct petition is pretty aggressive. It’s not going to ruin my life but they are pretty large. Also if it was a decent product I would occasionally buy something and support Celtics blog.

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 05:54:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Think these are ads by Google. I'm outside the states and theyre showing local ads for me.

I think these are personalized based on what you view on Google products. For example any news article you might have clicked on Google, any YouTube vids...

I think you can click the little "i" button on the top right of the ad to switch off personalized ads.

This definitely is not personalized based off what I view. I assure you I am not regularly poking around breitbart and newsmax.

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2022, 06:11:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It is marginally better than the extreme religious ads, but it’s a highly political post which you don’t normally see on any other page.   And a direct petition is pretty aggressive. It’s not going to ruin my life but they are pretty large. Also if it was a decent product I would occasionally buy something and support Celtics blog.

Heirloom seeds of any interest?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2022, 10:06:16 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen

This definitely is not personalized based off what I view. I assure you I am not regularly poking around breitbart and newsmax.

It's also personalized based on location I think

Also possible that , given all media is becoming so dichotomized, viewing news and content from one end of the spectrum leads Google to also think you'd respond (positively or negatively) to content from the other end of the spectrum

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2022, 10:21:56 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
What happened to my monk bread ads?!?

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2022, 10:25:41 PM »

Kiorrik

Also possible that , given all media is becoming so dichotomized, viewing news and content from one end of the spectrum leads Google to also think you'd respond (positively or negatively) to content from the other end of the spectrum

Ad localisation is up to the person setting up the ads.

So in short: if I like the colour green, and know you like the colour purple, I can set it to advertise to other people that like green, but also to people that like purple.

Heck, you could advertise women's hygiene products to men if you'd tick the box :)

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2022, 10:27:47 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

Heirloom seeds of any interest?

The Heirloom seeds and Monk Bread? Doesn’t get much better than that.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2022, 11:03:48 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen

Ad localisation is up to the person setting up the ads.

So in short: if I like the colour green, and know you like the colour purple, I can set it to advertise to other people that like green, but also to people that like purple.

Heck, you could advertise women's hygiene products to men if you'd tick the box :)

Thanks for correcting me, tp

I guess it's what they think you want, rather than what you want

But it's messed up that I'm beginning to think what they think I want is actually what I want

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2022, 11:04:14 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
What happened to my monk bread ads?!?

Tp

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2022, 09:16:14 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Am I the only one still getting inundated with religious advertising. It's not the same Pro-life, anti-gay, and burn in hell ads that were here before, but there is still plenty, like: Catholic Family Crate (Faith in a box), Catholic Cruise Croatia, How the Church Heals a Wounded World, inmates in desperate need of bibles.

I suppose there are some new 'Jewish Voice' ads, but these are still religious in nature - and they still strangely specifically mention Jesus.