Author Topic: NFL suspends Calvin Ridley entire season for betting on games  (Read 5151 times)

Re: NFL suspends Calvin Ridley entire season for betting on games
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2022, 07:24:02 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I find the punishment for gambling so dumb, in particular when compared to other offenses.

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2022, 07:47:01 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
A whole season for betting that didn't compromise anything, but only 4-8 games for the cases of domestic violence. Makes sense.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2022, 08:23:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
A whole season for betting that didn't compromise anything, but only 4-8 games for the cases of domestic violence. Makes sense.

Yep, and also if "more probable than not" you might have deflated footballs... 4 games

::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2022, 08:26:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Absolutely it makes sense.  One affects the integrity of the sport, one does not. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2022, 08:30:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Absolutely it makes sense.  One affects the integrity of the sport, one does not.
I think most people would prefer to see domestic violence punished more than gambling
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2022, 08:38:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I think most people would prefer to see domestic violence punished more than gambling
In society, absolutely, but not on the field.  In fact, I've argued that off field things have no bearing on sport and shouldn't be regulated by the sport at all.  I realize I'm in the minority of that view, but the league shouldn't get involved in an employment matter between the player and team.  Things like PED's, gambling, deflated footballs (ha), etc. affect the actual on field results and those things should be regulated by the league. 

I always look at this way with my own license in my mind.  There are absolutely certain crimes that if I commit, I should lose my license, but most crimes have no bearing on my ability to perform my job, and thus I shouldn't lose my license if I were to commit them.  That said, many of those crimes, I'd get fired for committing even if I didn't lose my license.  That is the way sports should function.  I suspect the league has stepped in because the teams don't want to have to make that decision, but for me, I'd rather just see the league not do anything and leave it up to the teams to decide. 

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2022, 08:40:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
In society, absolutely, but not on the field.  In fact, I've argued that off field things have no bearing on sport and shouldn't be regulated by the sport at all.  I realize I'm in the minority of that view, but the league shouldn't get involved in an employment matter between the player and team.  Things like PED's, gambling, deflated footballs (ha), etc. affect the actual on field results and those things should be regulated by the league. 

I always look at this way with my own license in my mind.  There are absolutely certain crimes that if I commit, I should lose my license, but most crimes have no bearing on my ability to perform my job, and thus I shouldn't lose my license if I were to commit them.  That said, many of those crimes, I'd get fired for committing even if I didn't lose my license.  That is the way sports should function.  I suspect the league has stepped in because the teams don't want to have to make that decision, but for me, I'd rather just see the league not do anything and leave it up to the teams to decide.
I completely disagree. These people are very public figures, and are role models for many. Self-interested teams may not always act in the right manner.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2022, 08:50:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I completely disagree. These people are very public figures, and are role models for many. Self-interested teams may not always act in the right manner.
and if they didn't it would affect their bottom line, television games, etc.  Ultimately the employer is going to do what is right for their bottom line.

And the teams never do the right thing.  They discriminate up and down at all levels.  They are sexist and misogynistic.  I mean look at the Washington scandal, or lack thereof, the only thing that came from that is Jon Gruden got fired.  Dallas left a VP in his position for 4 years until he retired even though he was in the cheerleaders lockerroom with his phone.  The Patriots owner was paying for sex, and nothing happened.  That is typical.  The league does nothing about those things because it is the rich white owners committing the offenses, but the minute a black man commits a crime, throw him out of the league and never let him play again.  The hypocrisy is astounding.  The league needs to stay out of it.  If it doesn't affect the integrity of the game, then don't do anything.  Again, I know I'm in the minority on this, but I do feel strongly about it.

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2022, 08:58:07 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

and if they didn't it would affect their bottom line, television games, etc.  Ultimately the employer is going to do what is right for their bottom line.

And the teams never do the right thing.  They discriminate up and down at all levels.  They are sexist and misogynistic.  I mean look at the Washington scandal, or lack thereof, the only thing that came from that is Jon Gruden got fired.  Dallas left a VP in his position for 4 years until he retired even though he was in the cheerleaders lockerroom with his phone.  The Patriots owner was paying for sex, and nothing happened.  That is typical.  The league does nothing about those things because it is the rich white owners committing the offenses, but the minute a black man commits a crime, throw him out of the league and never let him play again.  The hypocrisy is astounding.  The league needs to stay out of it.  If it doesn't affect the integrity of the game, then don't do anything.  Again, I know I'm in the minority on this, but I do feel strongly about it.

I agree with you on current events again mo.

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2022, 10:52:06 PM »

• Satch Sanders

But if Ridley wasn't betting on his own team's games, integrity is not affected. Unless you think that other teams will throw games based on his bets.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2022, 06:09:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

But if Ridley wasn't betting on his own team's games, integrity is not affected. Unless you think that other teams will throw games based on his bets.
he bet in the Falcons

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2022, 07:09:14 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

There are at least two types of integrity involved with betting on NFL games:

1.  Insider knowledge; and

2.  Shaving points

If a guy is betting on his own team, I think that insider knowledge is automatically suspected, even if there's no proof of it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2022, 08:22:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

There are at least two types of integrity involved with betting on NFL games:

1.  Insider knowledge; and

2.  Shaving points

If a guy is betting on his own team, I think that insider knowledge is automatically suspected, even if there's no proof of it.
Plus, it isn't a stretch to believe a guy betting on other teams games might also be betting on his own or could otherwise be compromised by shady characters to alter his own teams games. 

That said and has been stated previously, Ridley was betting on Falcons games. 

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2022, 11:07:10 AM »

• Satch Sanders

he bet in the Falcons

Okay, that changes things. The initial report I saw said he hadn't bet on Falcons games.

— C.S. Lewis