Author Topic: Juwan Howard punches Wisconsin assistant coach in the face...  (Read 27522 times)

Re: Juwan Howard punches Wisconsin assistant coach in the face...
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2022, 04:21:44 AM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Get over yourself Juwan.  It’s part of the game.  Maybe he’s salty because they actually had a timeout to use :-X
Is that part of the game? Because I have do not think I have ever seen a professional coach call a timeout up double digits with less than 30 seconds to go.

The same can be said for why Howard still has his guys doing a full court press with less than 30sec to go.  Wisconsin had already pulled their starters out of the game

He made himself sound like an idiot in the presser about it too.  Saying it wasn’t a full court press, it was a 5 man pressure defense. Lol
Greg

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2022, 06:33:00 AM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
I love Juwan Howard, and had him as someone I wanted the Celtics to check in on last year.  Still, this was not a good moment for him at all.  He had an incident last year with the Maryland he’s coach as well.  It’s been a rough season for Michigan and he wears his heart on his sleeve, but he picked up two Ts in Michigan’s game on Thursday and now this today.

But also the Wisconsin coach is a Gard A moron (his team hated him so much that they secretly recorded his crap last year), so I wouldn’t call Howard’s actions as unprovoked.  But it wasn’t good.

it doesn't matter what the other coach is doing. Howard isn't a 7 year old who can carp that 'he started it'. There is no good message to his team here.
This is nonsense.

Defending Howard's action is the nonsense part.

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2022, 06:36:55 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Fire him..no way u can condone this..also started another brawl, plus he didn’t even apologize
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2022, 07:57:40 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Fire him..no way u can condone this..also started another brawl, plus he didn’t even apologize
Yup, no exceptions, no excuses.  You have to draw a bright line here.  This is an educational institution not a professional sport. 

The punishment needs to be swift and absolute. Howard should never coach college ever again.

Beyond that, it looks to me that Howard is also a hypocrite. A punch is no way less unprofessional than an irritating timeout, arguably it's worse.

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2022, 08:54:22 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
This video clearly shows Howard being physically prevented from leaving by the Wisconsin head coach, and ultimately the assistant coaches and players, before the blow was thrown, with initial contact being made by the Wisconsin head coach.  No angle or audio here for any clue on what Howard might have seen/heard that could have triggered his reaction, but the initial contact and aggression did not come from him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sportingnews/status/1495549247286042631?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2022, 09:42:02 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Howard needs to be fired and banned for life from coaching college basketball, before outside forces get involved.

I could have guesses the circumstances the second I heard about this assault. 

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2022, 09:45:28 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Howard needs to be fired and banned for life from coaching college basketball, before outside forces get involved.

Okay dude, assault?  That’s a joke.

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2022, 09:48:07 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

Okay dude, assault?  That’s a joke.

Right, right it's not an assault unless blood is drawn. Sorry forgot...dude.

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2022, 10:23:57 AM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
This video clearly shows Howard being physically prevented from leaving by the Wisconsin head coach, and ultimately the assistant coaches and players, before the blow was thrown, with initial contact being made by the Wisconsin head coach.  No angle or audio here for any clue on what Howard might have seen/heard that could have triggered his reaction, but the initial contact and aggression did not come from him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sportingnews/status/1495549247286042631?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I’m with you in regards to Gard grabbing Howard and then blocking his path to keep moving, that definitely escalated this.

However as far as Howard goes, the confrontation between him and Gard was over, there were several bodies between the two of them and Howard was pushed back out of the center of the whole thing, he then injects himself back into not to say anything but to throw a punch.

Gard definitely owns some of the responsibility here but the leap that Howard took to jump back into the mix to throw a punch is terrible.

Couple this with the fact that just last season Howard had to be dragged off the court after being ejected from a game against Maryland where he was reportedly yelling ‘I’ll kill you!” To Mark Turgeon, and it really starts to show a pattern of behavior to Michigan in how Juwan Howard is going to conduct himself professionally
Greg

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2022, 10:34:33 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

I’m with you in regards to Gard grabbing Howard and then blocking his path to keep moving, that definitely escalated this.

However as far as Howard goes, the confrontation between him and Gard was over, there were several bodies between the two of them and Howard was pushed back out of the center of the whole thing, he then injects himself back into not to say anything but to throw a punch.

Gard definitely owns some of the responsibility here but the leap that Howard took to jump back into the mix to throw a punch is terrible.

Couple this with the fact that just last season Howard had to be dragged off the court after being ejected from a game against Maryland where he was reportedly yelling ‘I’ll kill you!” To Mark Turgeon, and it really starts to show a pattern of behavior to Michigan in how Juwan Howard is going to conduct himself professionally

Oh yeah, I’m not saying that strike was justified based on Gard’s actions.  No clue why Howard did that, although I’ve seen elsewhere accounts on the internet that the assistant coach shoved a Michigan player immediately before Howard lunged at him, but I haven’t seen video that was clear to me.

I do think it’s likely there was something that precipitated Howard’s action tho, because after Gard instigated it, Howard is yelling “Don’t touch me” for about 15 seconds straight before going at the assistant coach who he had to reach over people to get at.  Maybe Howard just completely flipped, but he went from backing/being pushed away demanding people give him space to immediately lunging forward.  If that coach, who aggressively joined the fray, pushed a Michigan player in the process, Howard’s punishment should fall short of termination, because he’s just trying to protect his students at that point.

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2022, 10:56:30 AM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker

Oh yeah, I’m not saying that strike was justified based on Gard’s actions.  No clue why Howard did that, although I’ve seen elsewhere accounts on the internet that the assistant coach shoved a Michigan player immediately before Howard lunged at him, but I haven’t seen video that was clear to me.

I do think it’s likely there was something that precipitated Howard’s action tho, because after Gard instigated it, Howard is yelling “Don’t touch me” for about 15 seconds straight before going at the assistant coach who he had to reach over people to get at.  Maybe Howard just completely flipped, but he went from backing/being pushed away demanding people give him space to immediately lunging forward.  If that coach, who aggressively joined the fray, pushed a Michigan player in the process, Howard’s punishment should fall short of termination, because he’s just trying to protect his students at that point.

I have thought the same thing as well but Howard was given every opportunity to explain his actions at the presser and didn’t even mention the assistant coach.  When pressed by reporters he basically closed up and didn’t want to talk about it any more. 

That’s the most telling to me.  I think he just flipped.  Personally based on this and what happened last year I really don’t think he knows how to conduct himself as a coach and not as a player.

Let’s say the Wisconsin assistant did push a Michigan player, there are plenty of well established professional coaches in the NCAA and elsewhere who know how to protect their players in ways other than jumping over people and throwing punches.  It’s just childish and inexcusable.
Greg

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2022, 11:14:44 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

I have thought the same thing as well but Howard was given every opportunity to explain his actions at the presser and didn’t even mention the assistant coach.  When pressed by reporters he basically closed up and didn’t want to talk about it any more. 

That’s the most telling to me.  I think he just flipped.  Personally based on this and what happened last year I really don’t think he knows how to conduct himself as a coach and not as a player.

Let’s say the Wisconsin assistant did push a Michigan player, there are plenty of well established professional coaches in the NCAA and elsewhere who know how to protect their players in ways other than jumping over people and throwing punches.  It’s just childish and inexcusable.

He absolutely closed up at the presser, you're right.  I think a lack of apology there didn't help at all.  Of course, the Wisconsin coach at his presser lied about the entire situation too.  He pretty much said "Oh, I was just going to explain the rules of college basketball to him and he got mad."  Which is obvious malarkey. 

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2022, 11:27:46 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Here's some video that includes audio of what both Gard and Howard said.

https://twitter.com/JeannaTrotmanTV/status/1495536258600292352?s=20&t=xVbIrgV6Il6aft0p_EayBA

As for the lack of apology, he probably didn't think he did anything wrong. He did say that he would accept any disciplinary action that would come his way, so there is that.

End of day I think he deserves to be suspended but not lose his job. You can't do what he did no matter the provocation, and especially not over something as silly as a timeout. Especially when you're at an educational institution supposed to be teaching players to be better people as well as athletes. But losing your job over it seems a bit harsh. Especially when Gard contributed to escalating the situation by grabbing Juwan and refusing to let him pass.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2022, 12:32:14 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I could be wrong but if it had been a player (an 18 year old) who threw a slap and started a brawl there would not be only a suspension but there would be talk about maturity and attitude, and if he was an NBA prospect he’d have cost himself a couple of rungs on the ladder.

Howard will probably get some respect from his players but I would guess he’ll think of it as a mistake and I bet he won’t do that again.

What you mean he won’t do it again? He has a history of this behavior. He is a repeat offender.

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2022, 12:47:40 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Hilarious. Here I was thinking they were disagreeing about which restaurant to go to afterwards  :laugh:

Looking at it though, I think Juwan definitely overreacted...he's a passionate guy who wants to win. But if he was mad that Wisconsin called a timeout, he should look at the reason they called a timeout - his team were executing a full court press. If he is upset that the Badgers were taking the game serious at that point, he should also look at his own team's actions. These are the whole "unwritten rules" governing supposed sportsmanship and disrespect that always cause more problems than they are worth.

The hit looked to be an accident but as a coach you're expected to set an example for sportsmanship. These kids will learn to be rude in the NBA soon enough  :angel:

I was enjoying your take until ‘the hit looked like an accident’. JH is a loose canon. I can’t believe he was my favorite to coach the Cs.
He is displaying a lack of temperament to be a coach. You are pressing the other team, but they are supposed to stop playing? Thai is nonsense as is the whole unwritten rules nonsense that gets thrown around. You don’t want to be embarrassed then play well. Don’t get mad because they other team is playing to the end and within the rules.

JH’s behavior was thuggish and should not be tolerated. His antecedents do not help him. He has a history of violence on the sidelines.