Author Topic: E-Rod to Tigers; 5 years, $77 million  (Read 4989 times)

E-Rod to Tigers; 5 years, $77 million
« on: November 15, 2021, 10:22:18 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Detroit Tigers have their established starting pitcher.

The Tigers on Monday signed left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez to a five-year, $77 million contract, a source with knowledge of the situation told the Free Press. He can opt out after the second year and has a no-trade clause. He can make up to $3 million in performance bonuses.

Rodriguez, 28, has pitched six seasons for the Boston Red Sox after making his MLB debut in 2015. He has a career 4.16 ERA. He pitched 32 games (31 starts) in 2021, posting a 4.74 ERA, 47 walks and 185 strikeouts.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: E-Rod to Tigers; 5 years, $77 million
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 10:40:01 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Baseball has turned into a strange world in how they value pitching. When a guy that usually only goes 5 innings and has an ERA approaching 5.00 is worth $77 million, something needs to be fixed.

Liked ERod. Never loved him and glad Bloom wasn't going to throw that type of money at him simply because he is an extremely average pitcher who happens to be a lefthander

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 11:11:13 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
He was a stud in the playoffs.  Will miss him. Very crafty pitcher.

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 11:11:29 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
A little more then 15 million a year seems fine considering how they don't pay their players for the early part of their careers.   

I just can't get upset about players being overpaid late in their career when they are all so underpaid the beginning of their careers.

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 11:33:09 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Garrett Richards, Martin Perez and now E-Rod, gone.  They accounted for over 400 innings and 75 starts last season with an overall ERA of about 4.75.  We have to be able to do better than that.  E-Rod at $15'ish Million is not horrible, but I understand moving on.  E-Rod had a down year for ERA in 2021 relative to career averages and recent trends.  But as someone said, he is pretty consistently a 5 inning guy.

So our starters will be Sale (3.16 era), Eovaldi (3.75 era), and Pivetta (4.53 era) at the top.  Likely Houck (3.52 era) and maybe Whitlock (1.96 era but as a reliever).  Then we should pick up another legit lefty 5th (maybe 6th) starter, not at $77M though.  Then another scrape heap type starter to fill in as the 6th starter if Whitlock stays in the pen.

I wonder if Whitlock is better as a reliever.  He was a nice option out of the pen.  Whitlock was a starter in the minors in 2018 (21 starts) and 2019 (14 starts).  I think he missed the entire 2020 season after elbow surgery.  If he can be more like Houck as a starter, then he should be a starter and may compete to be the 3rd or 4th starter.  But if he is the 5th or 6th starter, he is probably more valuable in the pen.

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 11:33:42 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
I liked what E-Rod did in the playoffs, but I was very sick of him as a prospect. It took forever for him to reach his potential, and now he's getting paid for an outlier 20 win season and a couple of good playoff games. I'm ready to start over with another SP.

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 11:44:13 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
A little more then 15 million a year seems fine considering how they don't pay their players for the early part of their careers.   

I just can't get upset about players being overpaid late in their career when they are all so underpaid the beginning of their careers.

E-Rod has earned about $20M in 7 seasons.  His career era is 4.16 and he has averaged about 5.1 IP per start.  Probably can expect about 25 to 30 starts and about 150 total innings moving forward.  I don't know how underpaid that was or over paid it is moving forward.  I think it is a reasonable contract for him.  It feels disproportionate as compared to his first 7 seasons (which I guess is the point) but teams have a choice and I have no problem with the Sox choosing to spend elsewhere.

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 12:09:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
15 million a year for a 3rd starter type pitcher is about the going rate.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 01:28:16 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Surprised he got 5 years

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2021, 05:24:00 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Have fun, Detroit.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 11:32:10 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I can't understand why they are still paying starters up to $30 million a year for going 5 innings?  At some point, the market will adjust for this.
So far, though, there has been no financial penalty for not pitching 7 innings, or CGs. Maybe because it's management's call how many pitches a guy throws nowadays, not the pitcher. Most could stay in longer in quality starts. And Smoltz thinks it would benefit their conditioning.

As for ERod, he has been good and he has been bad. High ERA last season despite a couple of good playoff starts. You don't know who will show up in a start. His contract is just what the market will bear for him.