Author Topic: NBA Season 2021-22  (Read 558546 times)

Re: NBA Season 2021-22
« Reply #5895 on: June 20, 2022, 02:11:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Here's a thought. If Durant decides to leave, what if he goes to Dallas? Doncic-Durant duo  :o
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5896 on: June 20, 2022, 02:37:47 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Heard that during last season, after Steve Nash had conducted a full practice, Kyrie would drag guys out of the locker room and conduct his own practices.

Absurd. And so disrespectful to his head coach, Nash. Guy decided to miss half the season over an inoculation but feels it necessary to run his own drills with teammates after a full practice.

I hope he opts out and can't get his big contract elsewhere.

I guess technically, no GM can discuss anything with Kyrie's agent, in terms of a team's interest and capacity to sign or trade for Kyrie.  But it is not that hard to look around as see who might actually be able to create cap space to offer a contract to Kyrie.  There aren't many.  Certainly not the Lakers.  The Knicks would have to move some of their major contracts (Randle, Fournier, Rose).

Kyrie's player option is $36.5M.  Fournier and Rose sum to about $32.5M so I guess that works as a straight trade (Kyrie would have to opt in or whatever).  Maybe this is where this is going.  The Knicks could do this as a straight trade and not be hard capped, although I don't know how much difference that makes for them in terms of their off season options.  Being hard capped might cost them the ability to sign Mitchell Robinson.  Or the Lakers could trade Westbrook.  Not sure either deal makes the Nets better.

So the Nets will have gone from a big 3 of Durant, Harden, and Kyrie to maybe Durant, Simmons, and Westbrook.  That isn't all bad I guess but wow, Durant must be shaking his head wondering what have I gotten myself into.
Would KD and Westbrook or Lebron and Kyrie want to play with each other again?  I doubt either would but especially the latter pairing.  Westbrook and Simmons seems like a pretty bad fit. 

« Reply #5897 on: June 20, 2022, 02:45:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Irving and Nets are at an impasse according to Shams.  Seems like Knicks, Clippers, and Lakers are in the mix if he becomes available. 

An interesting idea I heard was basically Davis and Westbrook for Irving and Simmons.  Or Davis and THT for Irving, Curry, and draft picks. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5898 on: June 20, 2022, 03:04:44 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Heard that during last season, after Steve Nash had conducted a full practice, Kyrie would drag guys out of the locker room and conduct his own practices.

Absurd. And so disrespectful to his head coach, Nash. Guy decided to miss half the season over an inoculation but feels it necessary to run his own drills with teammates after a full practice.

I guess technically, no GM can discuss anything with Kyrie's agent, in terms of a team's interest and capacity to sign or trade for Kyrie.  But it is not that hard to look around as see who might actually be able to create cap space to offer a contract to Kyrie.  There aren't many.  Certainly not the Lakers.  The Knicks would have to move some of their major contracts (Randle, Fournier, Rose).

Kyrie's player option is $36.5M.  Fournier and Rose sum to about $32.5M so I guess that works as a straight trade (Kyrie would have to opt in or whatever).  Maybe this is where this is going.  The Knicks could do this as a straight trade and not be hard capped, although I don't know how much difference that makes for them in terms of their off season options.  Being hard capped might cost them the ability to sign Mitchell Robinson.  Or the Lakers could trade Westbrook.  Not sure either deal makes the Nets better.

So the Nets will have gone from a big 3 of Durant, Harden, and Kyrie to maybe Durant, Simmons, and Westbrook.  That isn't all bad I guess but wow, Durant must be shaking his head wondering what have I gotten myself into.
Would KD and Westbrook or Lebron and Kyrie want to play with each other again?  I doubt either would but especially the latter pairing.  Westbrook and Simmons seems like a pretty bad fit.

I said I didn't think the trades made the Nets better.  The Tweet said the Lakers were "expected to be" a suitor.  I agree, it is bad fits potentially made worse.  I will say that if I was the Lakers, I would give the core another try.  I think their issue was as much injuries (Davis and LeBron) as anything.  You are either going to trade Westbrook for far less value or some other player like Kyrie that has very serious issues.  You can't win trading Westbrook so you might as well give it another try with a new coach.

And if I was the Knicks, I would not want any part of Kyrie.  I am sure the Knicks would love to get out from under Rose and Fournier contracts but not enough to take on Kyrie.

« Reply #5899 on: June 20, 2022, 03:21:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Would the Clippers go all in?

Jackson + Powell + Covington?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5900 on: June 20, 2022, 04:30:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

why would Brooklyn do that?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5901 on: June 20, 2022, 04:59:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

why would Brooklyn do that?

Because it’s better than losing him for nothing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5902 on: June 20, 2022, 05:06:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
These kind of reports don't come out unless there's real tension. Kyrie's definitely gone from BKN. I think the writing has been on the wall for a while too. People will say "oh well Durant won't like that and will try to prevent it" but the same thing happened with Harden in-season and it didn't matter, Harden got his wish and got out. I think Kyrie and the Nets FO has a lot of issues with each other which I don't blame the latter for.

I've seen rumors that Kyrie could go to Miami, and Durant goes to Dallas. Honestly, the latter would be very interesting and make the West very exciting IMO. Imagine a Durant-Doncic duo
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5903 on: June 20, 2022, 05:18:59 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I said I didn't think the trades made the Nets better.  The Tweet said the Lakers were "expected to be" a suitor.  I agree, it is bad fits potentially made worse.  I will say that if I was the Lakers, I would give the core another try.  I think their issue was as much injuries (Davis and LeBron) as anything.  You are either going to trade Westbrook for far less value or some other player like Kyrie that has very serious issues.  You can't win trading Westbrook so you might as well give it another try with a new coach.

And if I was the Knicks, I would not want any part of Kyrie.  I am sure the Knicks would love to get out from under Rose and Fournier contracts but not enough to take on Kyrie.

I don't know about that. If the Knicks can get Kyrie for Rose/Fournier, then they should be all over it. I realize it could blow up in their faces, but it is their best chance to compete now with Barrett/Randle. They can even convince themselves that NY is where Kyrie really wants to be and there is no other option with BKN out.

Also, I do agree that BKN pretty much has to take the best available offer (I don't think the NYK deal is that w/o picks). They shouldn't necessarily lock themselves down with bad long-term contracts, but anything is better than nothing. They are definitely in win-now mode and Kyrie being weird and signing with a team like the Pistons or Spurs out of spite is an actual possibility.

« Reply #5904 on: June 20, 2022, 05:21:18 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
These kind of reports don't come out unless there's real tension. Kyrie's definitely gone from BKN. I think the writing has been on the wall for a while too. People will say "oh well Durant won't like that and will try to prevent it" but the same thing happened with Harden in-season and it didn't matter, Harden got his wish and got out. I think Kyrie and the Nets FO has a lot of issues with each other which I don't blame the latter for.

I've seen rumors that Kyrie could go to Miami, and Durant goes to Dallas. Honestly, the latter would be very interesting and make the West very exciting IMO. Imagine a Durant-Doncic duo

Interesting. I can't imagine Kyrie and Jimmy Butler working out well together in any way. I would love to see KD in Dallas though. That would be exciting.

« Reply #5905 on: June 20, 2022, 05:29:50 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
It would be hilarious if Kyrie ends up joining Hayward in Charlotte.

« Reply #5906 on: June 20, 2022, 05:30:33 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Welp, if Duran and Kyrie both leave BK---There's no reason for Bruce Brown to stick around there---He is from Boston tho.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #5907 on: June 20, 2022, 05:31:07 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Classy…

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5908 on: June 20, 2022, 05:55:40 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Classy…

He plays his role as goon...

« Reply #5909 on: July 13, 2022, 03:01:19 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis