Author Topic: Why are new movies coming out these days so bad?  (Read 5765 times)

Re: Why are new movies coming out these days so bad?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2021, 09:30:43 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I read a book called Super Crunchers in 2009 which talked about how Hollywood essentially solved the profitability equation for movies.  They used data modeling to determine which variables like types of plot, number of big name actors, action sequences, etc. resulted in the most money.  Every since I read that, I can't help but to notice when watching movies how so many of them follow that exact recipe.  It's ruined a lot of movies for me and also shocked me how I never caught on to it before I read the book.

Similar, more recent article here -- https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jul/24/uk-scientists-uncover-formula-box-office-movie-success
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2021, 09:38:55 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
For the most part, everything out of Hollywood has to abide by the woke agenda. Hence, garbage. Some movies still manage to be terrible in their own right of course.

I would say you hit the nail on the head here. Nothing compromises art more than political agendas. Films have become more about fighting political battles and less about creating great and meaningful art. It's a shame, and I hope this PC nonsense ends sooner than later because I miss going to the movies without feeling like I am being indoctrinated into the woke leftist cult.

I like Political Correctness, though I am also a fan of edgy, violent, and quirky movies and TV.  But that aside, I don't think I've actually been to the movies since my children were little (they are 30 and 26) and that was for kid flicks.   

I do watch a fair amount of TV, much of it produced in Hollywood and I find the shows I've watched and enjoyed over the last 10-15 years are not only very well made but are anything but PC.   From Breaking Bad to more recent Yellowstone to Curb Your Enthusiasm or Ozark or True Detective or Rectify, Better Call Saul, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia... these are just some of my favorites and I know there are many others that good and not at all PC.  In fact shows of my childhood and movies of my childhood are in general FAR, FAR more tame and what would now be labeled as "PC" than what comes out of Hollywood today.

PC blame is easy for those who think PC and Woke are the source of much of what's bad in our country -- this comes up often, but I don't buy it.

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2021, 09:42:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Parasite, The Irishman, Marriage Story, Uncut Gems, Pain & Glory, Knives Out, The Lighthouse, The High Life, Midsommar, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Waves

I haven’t seen all of those, but of the ones I have, I’d say they range from “watchable” to “good”.  There are none I consider great, and probably none that I’d rewatch.

Not every year is 1994, but I don’t think the last few years compare.
For sure, films like Knives Out are just simple entertainment, and Waves is a good yet unspectacular, for example. But take The Irishman, and Scorsese's last 3 films in general (Wolf of Wall Street & Silence). I think all three of these are really strong, and better than some of his early 2000s work.

Parasite was great, in my mind. As was The Lighthouse and Uncut Gems. I just feel that if you look past the bigger productions (the annual Marvel films) you can still find gems.

@action781, JoJo Rabbit is a good call. Most of Taika Waititi's work is really strong.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2021, 10:41:20 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Parasite, The Irishman, Marriage Story, Uncut Gems, Pain & Glory, Knives Out, The Lighthouse, The High Life, Midsommar, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Waves

I haven’t seen all of those, but of the ones I have, I’d say they range from “watchable” to “good”.  There are none I consider great, and probably none that I’d rewatch.

Not every year is 1994, but I don’t think the last few years compare.

I wouldn’t watch any of those movies a second time, except Knives out. 1994 was good for movies, but what about 1999? I’ve seen so many of these more than once.

Green Mile
The Matrix
Fight Club
American Beauty
Boondocks Saints
Magnolia
Any Given Sunday
6th Sense
Being John Malkovich
Man on the Moon
The Insider
Office Space
The Talented Mr. Ripley
October Sky
Eyes Wide Shut
Cider House Rules
Thomas crown affair
Sleepy Hollow
Virgin Suicides
Austin Powers
Detroit Rock City
Cruel Intentions
American Pie
Girl Interrupted
10 Things I hate about you
Stir of Echoes
Go
Analyze this
The wood
Galaxy Quest
Three Kings
The Mummy
Notting Hill
Election
Arlington Road

« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 10:49:04 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2021, 02:50:24 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
There were so many great films in the 90’s and earlier in the 2000’s, but over the last 10+ years it seems like Hollywood just pumps out garbage. What happened?

I actually know the answer!

A few years ago I was listen to the BS Podcast (Bill Simmons) and Simmons was talking with Matt Damon and he broached this very issue.

Apparently it's rather simple, Hollywood usually has three types of movies; Blockbuster, Mid-Major, Small Budget. The best movies are usually the mid-major ones, they're artistic niche stories with a solid budget behind them.

Historically, mid-major movies are some of the greatest pictures, such as Girl, Interrupted, The Talented Mr. Ripley, The Matrix, The Pianist, Good Will Hunting, The Shawshank Redemption ect. These movies come with a lot of risk to the production companies and can flop at the box-office (Shawshank did). An important factor in mid-major movies being green lit was the rental market and dvd sales. These two things were very influential in allowing big artistic pictures to be made, Damon alluded to how even with their picture 'Manchester by the Sea', they weren't given the budget they wanted and as a result had to make cuts.

In 1994, Shawshank Redemption got crush at the box-office by Forrest Gump and only earned a global return of 58 million from a 25 million budget (not including advertising). But Shawshank Redemption would go on to earn about 80 million after it hit the secondary market, and by 2014, current and former Warner Bros executives confirmed that it was one of the highest-valued assets in the studio's $1.5 billion library.

Unfortunately with the introduction of streaming services, the secondary market has collapsed. This was the production companies safety net and without it, there are only blockbuster and small budget movies remaining.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 04:03:27 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2021, 07:11:34 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
It's not just movies. Even video game are taking the same formula from the movie makers. Companies no longer have cojones to take risk on making brand new IP.

I'm glad I shifted interest to anime before it even went mainstream.

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2021, 09:13:55 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Anime on Netflix are great
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2021, 12:31:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I've seen plenty of good movies recently.  Also, plenty of very entertaining movies that won't win any awards. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2021, 12:36:01 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I've seen plenty of good movies recently.  Also, plenty of very entertaining movies that won't win any awards.

What do you recommend?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2021, 01:53:09 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
For the most part, everything out of Hollywood has to abide by the woke agenda. Hence, garbage. Some movies still manage to be terrible in their own right of course.

I think a lot of that is right.  Critics consider “Get Out” to be a top-five movie of the 2010s.  That was a good movie, but not an all-timer.  But, it’s pushed like it’s an all-timer.

I’d say:

1.  Agendas — nobody seems to just want to tell a great story

2.  Spectacle — the movies that draw the most eyeballs are the most exciting ones, not the best ones

3.  Prestige TV.  There is a lot of great television. I think some screen writers and directors are asking themselves why should they be limited to two hours, when they can tell a deeper story in 16?

I can't believe the only mention of #3 so far is in your post. Streaming has become a much bigger deal in recent years, and with people now having incredible television sets, they are much less likely to go to the movies. Many of these shows coming out are 'limited series', which basically means 6-8 one-hour episodes. These obviously would have been movies in the past, but not anymore. The writers/creators are able to delve into much more complex and interesting stories.

What we are left with are crappy-ish action flicks with lots of special effects. Good for making money, but far less entertaining and memorable. Personally, I love quality horror/suspense movies and it's been since like mid-2000s that these types of movies have been memorable and worthwhile. Or maybe I'm just getting old  ;)

This is false. So much so that companies are ditching their straight to stream model and going back to 30-45 day theatrical releases. Humans are social and want some activities to be social experiences and not just entertainment consumption. Yes I am long AMC.

Eh, I'd say there is a lot of gray area. I've been to the movies like twice in the last decade and they both were $5 Tuesdays at old school movie theaters for movies that had already been released. And I am somebody that used to go at least twice a month - I doubt I am the only one. Obviously humans are social beings, but I don't think the movie theater is the only way to accomplish this (especially since it's not really a social experience). Things change - 20 years ago nightclubs were booming and people were buying cds for $15 each. To pretend that streaming has had no effect on the film industry just seems a bit strange.

This is because you moved up an economic social class and down a social social class. Numbers don't lie people are going back to the movies. and Still long AMC.
ok fine

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2021, 03:53:17 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Movies are more profitable the wider audience so when dealing with younger crowds the movie doesn't need to be deep or very original. The merchandise is another big source of revenue with PG movies so most investment will always go into PG movies.

When you consider paying high quailty actors big salaries when the profit won't match that of a PG movie it doesn't make for smart investing.

Seems we are going to get 3 to 4 good adult audience movies a year that are big budget. Rest will be low budget. Sure we can sometimes get gems that way but you may not hear about those gems unless you search for them.

If you are looking for quality movies do a YouTube or Google search. Once you find a reviewer with your same taste you can find some movies that will be worth the watch.