Author Topic: Catholic ads on Celticsstrong  (Read 28201 times)

Re: Catholic ads on Celticsstrong
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2021, 03:02:34 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Just saw an ad for a Persecuted Priest Summit. Ruh-roh George, this is getting creepy!

What line do these ads need to cross before people think it's a bad idea? Showing pictures of a dead fetus?

Protecting priests from whistle blowers seems rotten. Do others disagree?

I thought the idea was weird, too.  Apparently, these priests aren't "persecuted" because of wrong-doing in a religious sense, but rather for speaking out about stuff they disagree with.

https://www.complicitclergy.com/2020/09/29/our-persecuted-priests/

So, it's probably not as cringeworthy as it sounds.  But, best case, it's religious and political.

That website is super cringe as well.

"Kalchick was forced to flee when his bishop ordered him to be removed from his parish for allowing his parishioners to burn a rainbow banner found in the parish."

I think the term persecuted is not well understood by the site's authors.

I'd love to see what would happen if there were equally biased ads of the liberal persuasion on this site. Something like "Protect Transgender African Americans from Racist Republicans" would cause quite a stir. I might think Forum managers would get involved, but that is merely conjecture. I guess we will never know....

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2021, 03:14:22 PM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Just saw an ad for a Persecuted Priest Summit. Ruh-roh George, this is getting creepy!

What line do these ads need to cross before people think it's a bad idea? Showing pictures of a dead fetus?

Protecting priests from whistle blowers seems rotten. Do others disagree?

I thought the idea was weird, too.  Apparently, these priests aren't "persecuted" because of wrong-doing in a religious sense, but rather for speaking out about stuff they disagree with.

https://www.complicitclergy.com/2020/09/29/our-persecuted-priests/

So, it's probably not as cringeworthy as it sounds.  But, best case, it's religious and political.

Kept looking into this yucky rabbit hole.

Apparently one of the priests was persecuted for "speaking out". This is what he said about BLM protestors:

“The only lives that matter are their own and the only power they seek is their own,” Rothrock wrote. “They are wolves in wolves clothing, masked thieves and bandits, seeking only to devour the life of the poor and profit from the fear of others. They are maggots and parasites at best, feeding off the isolation of addiction and broken families, and offering to replace any current frustration and anxiety with more misery and greater resentment.”

How would any church organization allow such talk to go on without consequences? This is lunacy and bigotry masqueraded as religion and politics.

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2021, 03:33:12 PM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
This is lunacy and bigotry masqueraded as religion and politics.

I, for one, am shocked.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2021, 04:30:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I will let you all on a little secret.   If you do not let things offend you they won't.   I never see the ads on this site because I don't look at them or for them with a little practice anyone can develop this skill.  This works for me.

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2021, 04:48:51 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I will let you all on a little secret.   If you do not let things offend you they won't.   I never see the ads on this site because I don't look at them or for them with a little practice anyone can develop this skill.  This works for me.

Yeah I don't pay much attention to them, but it is not a realistic expectation that people are going to decide to either be not offended or (as is mostly the case here) not concerned about the proliferation of certain ideas.

The thing that confuses me most is that I have always suspected (I've been aware of these ads for a while) that the site organizers are not supporting these ads in any way.  I have assumed that CStrong is not getting paid by these "advertisers" but that the ads appear through a magic of internet that I have no understanding of.

Am I wrong?  CStrong isn't being supported financially by these advertisements, right?

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2021, 04:55:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yeah I don't pay much attention to them, but it is not a realistic expectation that people are going to decide to either be not offended or (as is mostly the case here) not concerned about the proliferation of certain ideas.

The thing that confuses me most is that I have always suspected (I've been aware of these ads for a while) that the site organizers are not supporting these ads in any way.  I have assumed that CStrong is not getting paid by these "advertisers" but that the ads appear through a magic of internet that I have no understanding of.

Am I wrong?  CStrong isn't being supported financially by these advertisements, right?
Pretty sure CelticsStrong is making money off them. Now I think byennie sold the space to a media company that puts on whatever type ads they have and that he didn't go out and sell the space directly to the company being advertised.

I'm pretty sure. Okay, I think. Maybe.

But the site is definitely selling the space to generate revenue. Hence, free site for us CSers

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2021, 05:16:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Pretty sure CelticsStrong is making money off them. Now I think byennie sold the space to a media company that puts on whatever type ads they have and that he didn't go out and sell the space directly to the company being advertised.

But the site is definitely selling the space to generate revenue. Hence, free site for us CSers

I know that during the Celtics blog days, Jeff had veto power over any ad that advertisers put on the site, through a third party or not.

I think that the current arrangement is slightly different, or ar the very least the third-party provider is less responsive.

But yeah…. Ideally, advertisements would not touch upon religion, politics, or sex.  That said, if it’s the only revenue stream to keep the site running, I can overlook it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2021, 05:25:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I know that during the Celtics blog days, Jeff had veto power over any ad that advertisers put on the site, through a third party or not.

I think that the current arrangement is slightly different, or ar the very least the third-party provider is less responsive.

But yeah…. Ideally, advertisements would not touch upon religion, politics, or sex.  That said, if it’s the only revenue stream to keep the site running, I can overlook it.
That was my understanding of things too, that I got from byennie when I was a mod. I didn't know if things had changed since then, hence my lack of complete conviction on the matter.

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2021, 05:55:48 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
It's called uBlock. It is your friend. :P

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2021, 06:03:31 PM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

I feel like you are comparing Church Militant to commonplace mentions of "religion, politics, or sex". Is the Westboro Baptist Church a group of nice people that spread the love of Jesus as well?

Apparently Church Militant is "a fringe group claiming to be Catholic but denounced by the church, [that] broadcasts pro-life, anti-gay, anti-feminist, Islam-fearing content on its website".

Years ago, leader Michael Voris caused an uproar when he said this in one of his videos: "The only way to run a country is by benevolent dictatorship, a Catholic monarch who protects his people from themselves and bestows on them what they need, not necessarily what they want."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/02/19/right-wing-fringe-group-building-multimedia-empire-near-detroit/98132374/

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2021, 06:48:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I feel like you are comparing Church Militant to commonplace mentions of "religion, politics, or sex". Is the Westboro Baptist Church a group of nice people that spread the love of Jesus as well?

Apparently Church Militant is "a fringe group claiming to be Catholic but denounced by the church, [that] broadcasts pro-life, anti-gay, anti-feminist, Islam-fearing content on its website".

Years ago, leader Michael Voris caused an uproar when he said this in one of his videos: "The only way to run a country is by benevolent dictatorship, a Catholic monarch who protects his people from themselves and bestows on them what they need, not necessarily what they want."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/02/19/right-wing-fringe-group-building-multimedia-empire-near-detroit/98132374/

It doesn't really change my main point of view:  fringe group or not, I don't want religion, politics or sex being broadcast on the site.  There are some things this group is promoting through their ads that I disagree with, others that I don't.  Some of their views are mainstream Catholic, others aren't.   None of that would be necessary to weigh at all if we just said "no religion, no politics, no sex".  I don't think the forums need to be in the business in answering the question of what religious ideas are okay, and what ones are crazy. 

Politically and religiously neutral and family friendly.  That's what I'd like to see from our ads.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2021, 09:27:17 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Here's a new one. Honestly, enough is enough with this stuff.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 09:48:59 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2021, 11:05:15 AM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
That's the sort of thing that wouldn't get into The Onion for being too on the nose.

Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2021, 11:38:08 AM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
Here's a new one. Honestly, enough is enough with this stuff.

If you are so offended, maybe you should buy up all the advertising.  Many (most?) dont share your worldview.

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2021, 11:53:38 AM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
Excellent idea. If anyone is curious about how to buy ads on CelticsStrong, you can do it here:
https://cleanmedia.net/p/?psid=916-598-20191223T184724370

In an effort to be fair and balanced, I suggest using some of the assets from the Atheist Bus Campaign to start.