Author Topic: Yard work/homeowner stuff thread  (Read 50906 times)

Re: Yard work/homeowner stuff thread
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2017, 06:51:54 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
during the game, really? lol

« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2017, 07:08:39 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
during the game, really? lol
I can do both!

« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2017, 07:35:34 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Celtics playing well. Let's keep t going. 

« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2017, 07:37:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
A newly planted tree still has withering brown leafs... the tree base looks wrinkled/skin peeling... yet small branches are growing out all over the place

comparable neighbor trees leafs have already bloomed....tree base looks smooth.... color looks brown unlike this tree which looks greyish brown in several areas

is this tree dying?    any advice?

« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2017, 08:40:09 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
A newly planted tree still has withering brown leafs... the tree base looks wrinkled/skin peeling... yet small branches are growing out all over the place

comparable neighbor trees leafs have already bloomed....tree base looks smooth.... color looks brown unlike this tree which looks greyish brown in several areas

It's probably adapting to being newly planted, get it some natural plant food and food designed to get its roots growing outwards.  Don't overwater it as that can cause the roots to stop growing outward. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2017, 08:42:43 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

It's probably adapting to being newly planted, get it some natural plant food and food designed to get its roots growing outwards.  Don't overwater it as that can cause the roots to stop growing outward.
Same advice.  It takes a year to really start growing. Talk. With gardening shop for the best vitamins for it.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2017, 12:40:59 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Any of you ever put up a convex mirror type thing for a hidden driveway? I'm not thrilled with what I see as the choices. It seems either I put it up high where it's a pain to clean or I put it down low where some subhuman can break it or possibly steal it.  Seems I have to drill it in as opposed to just vellcroing

Maybe this isn't worth it

« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2017, 05:39:40 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
Any of you ever put up a convex mirror type thing for a hidden driveway? I'm not thrilled with what I see as the choices. It seems either I put it up high where it's a pain to clean or I put it down low where some subhuman can break it or possibly steal it.  Seems I have to drill it in as opposed to just vellcroing

What are you attaching it to?
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2017, 06:40:33 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I figured a tree

« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2017, 06:59:13 AM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114

I figured a tree

Whether you put it high or low, if someone is intent on breaking it they will. If it's out of reach, they'll just throw stuff at it. So just put it where you want it. You also can't stop a determined thief, but if stealing it requires the use of tools as opposed to picking it up and walking away, the odds are in your favor. I occasionally hear about idiot kids vandalizing mailbboxes for fun, but can't recall hearing about one being stolen.

Drilling is not a big deal. Most of these things mount with a Z bracket, which needs a couple of screws. Drill two small pilot holes, or if you don"t have a drill make holes by pounding a nail part way in and pulling it out. Use the biggest diameter hex-head lag bolts that will fit through the holes in the bracket. Use a ratcheting socket wrench and you are done in a few minutes.

If you don't want to drill into the tree you could try using pipe hanger strap from home depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-3-4-in-x-10-ft-Galvanized-Steel-Hanger-Strap-339232/100167964

Wrap it around the tree with the end of the mounting bracket between it and the tree. When it is as tight as possible use a bolt and nut to hold it together. Take up any slack with shims. Use scrap wood, or something like this.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/8-in-Composite-Shim-Bundle-of-12-SHM1-12-TW/202807695

If you want to avoid drilling and minimize the use of tools, try a lashing strap

https://www.amazon.com/Keeper-85243-Lashing-Strap-Pack/dp/B004PL4H0O

After it is up, drive a couple of nails into the tree  through the webbing to discourage theft.

When you but your mirror, look for something made of unbreakable material like acrylic rather than glass. And before you mount it have a helper hold it in place to make sure you get the view you want from your driver's seat.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2017, 07:27:37 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Are any of you incredibly untalented and yet still managed to correctly construct an archway in a hall? Like with one of those kits?
I forgot about this thread until somebody posted here yesterday and it came up on "latest forum topics".  I will be posting here more often during the off-season.   ;)

Anyway, I would not advise trying to construct an archway in a doorway or entrance by yourself, unless you are very experienced.  A couple of years ago, we hired a handyman to change all our room entrances on the main floor to arched entrances.  These were various sizes from door width to a very wide opening between the dining room and living room. I watched his progress daily and saw how complex it is.  The wood frame was tricky, and then he had to put up drywall that was slightly bent into a curved shape.  There was TONS of wallboard compounding and finish work before painting.  It didn't come out quite right on the wide opening and he had to redo it.

I recommend you hire someone.

« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2017, 07:04:50 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Soooooooo......the vent piece on my GE Profile microwave broke off and fell onto my range tonight. Definitely wasn't expecting that.

If I get the piece I don't think the repair is too hard, however I am mildly nervous about the little plastic tab pieces that broke off fell into the machine. I assume it's not a problem. I mean....one would assume it's microwave safe plastic, right?

Anyone have any parts of microwaves fall off on them? There are multiple threads and videos about this on the net so I know I'm not the first

« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2017, 12:34:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Also I bought a cheap fire pit (if you can even call it that) like 3-4 years ago and the bottom essentially rusted through (and I am telling you I took ok care of it) and now I'm not sure how best to dispose of it/replace it. It's fine for the moment. I'm not sure if I can or should get replacement stuff.

« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2018, 06:54:11 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Spring has not quite sprung in New England, but many of us are actively thinking about spring yard projects and plan to dive in once the ground softens up. 

We have done a large amount of landscaping work the past few years, while keeping some of our beloved mature trees.  In the backyard, we tore out some wild scrub, re-seeded the yard, and installed some trees to screen one side from close-by neighbors: cedars, spruces and some smaller birch.  This year we will focus on the front yard and plan to install a butterfly bush, some herbs and some annuals for color.

What your spring yard project?

« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2018, 07:02:03 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I have to bury a chicken this morning. 
Yup