Author Topic: 2013 Pick 2 Draft: How's my team look?  (Read 207320 times)

Re: 2013 Pick 2 Draft: How's my team look?
« Reply #1080 on: March 02, 2013, 07:30:26 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2418
So looks like this is the end of the road. Had a couple more deals I would of liked to push through but they didn't work out. Overall, learned a ton about how these drafts work and had a lot of fun.

So how's the team look? Comments will get a TP

Did you ever get over the cap floor?  Your sig still shows 39M, which is well below it.

Minny took Turkoglu's near $12 million contract with their final pick.

That got them over the minimum cap figure.

« Reply #1081 on: March 02, 2013, 12:01:15 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Its all about upsides and downsides.

Upsides:
I found out about these guys.
Tobias Harris had 27 points in 31 minutes last night, and is looking like the steal of the draft.

Downsides:
Andrew Bynum, maybe getting season ending surgery, and I may owe NickAgneta 100 TP's.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1082 on: March 02, 2013, 01:16:41 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I may owe NickAgneta 100 TP's.

Might as well just pay him now and consider yourself lucky he didn't take you up on the 500 TP wager.

« Reply #1083 on: March 02, 2013, 01:22:04 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I may owe NickAgneta 100 TP's.

Might as well just pay him now and consider yourself lucky he didn't take you up on the 500 TP wager.

Never. I'll pay it when its over.

« Reply #1084 on: March 02, 2013, 01:37:17 PM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222

SUNS Pick 2: Coach: Doug Collins   

PG: Ricky Rubio(3.5) CJ Watson(.992)
SG: Dwyane Wade(17.1) Alonzo Gee(3.5)
SF: DeMar Derozan(3.34) Dorell Wright(4.1) Jae Crowder(.6)
PF: Gerald Wallace(9.88) Matt Bonner(3.67) Al Harrington(6.6) 
C:   Brook Lopez(13.67) Chris Andersen(.854)
Cap used: 67.8 Total: 70.3

Final roster

I decided to start derozan at SF because he's too good for the bench. I was going to start wright for 3 point shooting but besides that derozan brings more to the table. I think I have a strong bench and  good prospect in crowder. I love the Rubio wade Lopez "big 3" if you will. I think Gerald Wallace is very capable of starting PF and his defense is good.i wanted to keep gortat and Dragic the entire time but I think some of the trades I had to make to drastically improve the suns as a whole.only 5 players on the roster I actually drafted, the rest acquired via trades.

I enjoyed participating with the new gm's and fellow returning gm's as usual, I looked forward to this again in the summer.
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #1085 on: March 02, 2013, 02:23:40 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
2013 Pick 2 OKC Thunder ($5.42 cap space)

PG: Jrue Holiday, Kirk Hinrich, Keyon Dooling
SG: Keith Bogans, Alexey Shved, E'Twaun Moore
SF: Kevin Durant, Mickael Gelabale
PF: Josh Smith, Lamar Odom, (Jason Thompson)
C: Kendrick Perkins, Jason Thompson, Hasheem Thabeet

Finally done. Despite my sg problem it could be worse. I like my overall guard group with offense and defense. KD and Josh Smith can play big minutes and still have decent back ups when they sit. Center is flooded to play against different match ups.

Do playoffs start next week?
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #1086 on: March 02, 2013, 02:46:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Lakers

Starters

PG: Deron Williams               17.3/3.2/7.7/42%/37%/86%
SG: JJ Redick                          15.1/2.4/4.4/45%/39%/90%
SF: Metta World Peace          12.7/5.5/1.5/40%/35%/74%
PF: Andrei Kirilenko                13.1/6.0/2.9/51%/31%/77%
C: Dwight Howard                  16.3/11.9/1.5/58%/25%/49%

Bench

C/PF: Tiago Splitter                10.5/5.8/1.5/60%/0O%/74%
SF: Mike Dunleavy                   11.1/3.9/2.0/46%/43%/81%
PG: Devin Harris                      8.8/1.9/2.7/44%/35%/72%
SG: CJ Miles                            11.1/2.6/0.9/41%/38%/93%
C/PF: Brandon Wright             6.9/3.3/0.5/62%/00%/62%
PF: Marcus Morris                    8.4/3.9/0.8/43%/38%/64%
PG: Brian Roberts                    6.44/1.0/2.3/41%/37%/93%
SG: James Anderson              3.3/1.5/1.1/44%/40%/88%

Total Salary                       $82,580,000
Salary Cap Remaining   $16,720,000

PPG/RPG/APG/FG%/3PT%/FT%

Really like this team. Yes, the whole thing revolves around Howard and Williams having comebacks from nagging injuries in the second half for it to work, but I think both have already shown signs of this already. Also, these guys have been wanting to play on each others teams for years, that should appease both superstars.

The rest is fit and weapons in roles and I think the Lakers have tons of that. Devin Harris/CJ Miles/Mike Dunleavy/Marcus Morris/Tiago Splitter could beat 1 or 2 teams starting fives in this league. That's the Lakers bench. And on the Lakers deep bench is currently a player ranked in the top 10 for rookies so far this year by ESPN.com.

Not sure if it is the best team here, but I think its better than the current Lakers and I saved over $33 million when you include luxury tax that would have to have been paid on that money I saved.
Gotta admit at one point I almost did a trade that would have transformed this team to a running team and Mike D'Antoni would have been my coach.

Almost did a:

Deron Williams, Dwight Howard, and a 5th rounder

for

Russell Westbrook, Shawn Marion, JaVale McGee

Would have had Westbrook, Redick, Marion, Kirilenko, Splitter with McGee off the bench, a fifth rounder probably to grab a Isiah Thomas or Chase Buddinger or Marcus Thornton, threats in a running team environment.

Glad I didn't and stuck with what I did.

Couple things about this Laker team:

Except for Howard and Morris and Wright, the rest of the team are dang good FT shooters. There's a group at around 75% but the Lakers have a bunch of near 90% FT shooters in Williams, Redick, Miles, Roberts and Anderson.

Though I don't think the back court defense will be excellent it will be enough to make this a very good team defense with Artest/Kirilenko/Howard.

Offensively, its up to Williams to get Howard set up and for the rest of the starters to space the floor and drive off high Howard picks or shoot over collapsed defenses, hitting threes and getting Howard that space.

Proud of the bench. Splitter, Dunleavy, Miles, Harris and Morris will get the yeoman's minutes in the rotation with Anderson, Wright and Roberts grabbing the end bench. Splitter still gives the middle some strength, Dunleavy and Miles space the floor. Harris is a former All-Star who has been pretty good in his backup role in Atlanta this year after a couple lost seasons. Morris is a young kid with energy and all around game.

« Reply #1087 on: March 02, 2013, 03:35:35 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Overall, learned a ton about how these drafts work and had a lot of fun.

Yeah, I had a lot of fun with this too, but more importantly learned some valuable lessons I will need to keep in mind if I decide to do any furher drafts here.

Basically, the biggest take away for me was, people's perceptions of players is almost as important as anything if you want to "win".  It's become apparent to me there are a few players, some deserving and some not, who are rather universally loathed here.

I don't say this to belittle anyone, and considering the whole premie is based in subjectivity, it just took me by surprise a little when it probably shouldn't have.

I'm extremely confident in my own abilities to assess talent and how to properly assemble a cohesive roster, but now see there is a little more to it than just that.

Yea, I noticed similar things. Draft positions and trades are all based on perception and there were some guys I was really suprised everyone liked so much and there were guys who I regarded very highly and people could care less about said player.

It was a ton of fun but I will certainly take a different approach next time as it seems if you build a young team you have to spend more time defending your team than actually drafting lol I feel building a contender with older players is the way to go in these types of drafts
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #1088 on: March 02, 2013, 03:45:13 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Remember the unwritten code- if ur asking for people to comment on ur team do some commenting of ur own.

« Reply #1089 on: March 02, 2013, 04:19:42 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

Jerryd Bayless says deal with it.

« Reply #1090 on: March 02, 2013, 05:25:22 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
IP's Thoughts On The Bucks:

PG: Russell Westbrook / Jerryd Bayless
SG: Wesley Matthews / Terrence Ross
SF: Trevor Ariza / Martell Webster / Terrence Williams
PF: David Lee / Jason Maxiell / Ivan Johnson
C: JaVale McGee / Ian Mahinmi

I love: The shot creation potential Westbrook/Matthews/Lee brings to the lineup. Everything starts with him obviously, and while Westbrook's synergy stats on offense aren't really all that great, this is one case where I absolutely refuse to believe having David Lee around won't improve his good but not great pick and roll results thus far. Wes Matthews also is extremely efficient so far this year as the pick and roll ball handler, even though he hasn't done all that much of it this season with Lillard operating so very well in that role, and likely won't be doing a ton of that with Westbrook playing the role here.

I Like: Terrence Ross as a prospect on the wing, especially if he adds 8-10 lbs of muscle in the next year or so and develops into the defender many project him to be. I also like what Martell Webster has done to his game in Washington, something I was completely ignorant about until this draft.

I am neutral on: Maxiell, Johnson, Bayless and T-Will. Personally, for the Celtics sake, I hope Terrance Williams has or will take a step forward, but I really doubt that's in the cards.

I don't like: Javale McGee, Trevor Ariza. Ariza has been getting outplayed by Webster in Washington, he's been shooting better from range which is something the Bucks need, and Ariza is known for his poor shot selection, which is something the Bucks don't need. Westbrook is a very valuable player, but he does still shoot less than 45% from the field, and will be taking the highest volume of shots. Ideally, to maximize him, you want everyone around him to be as efficient as possible, to mitigate somewhat Westbrook's scoring. Also, I am just not a believer in McGee, at least right now. All the right talents, none of the common sense. And he's not a low mistake guy like Perkins is. If he's to play big minutes, he'll make 1 head scratcher for every jaw dropper.

Actual Success: I think this team has a strong shot at the playoffs, close to a certainty. I don't see them as a contender, but they'll scare the ever living crap out of a team in the first round, and shouldn't by any means be discounted from going beyond.

Pick Two Success: Really loved what AB did here, even though the real-life Bucks are looking like a playoff lock at this point in real life, that has more to do with all 7 of the 15 teams behind them being in the midst of a full-on rebuild than the Bucks being a real playoff team at just .500. What AB did was build a possible 50 win team out of a 40 win one, and well done at that.

« Reply #1091 on: March 02, 2013, 06:16:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
IP's Thoughts On The Suns:

PG: Ricky Rubio(3.5) CJ Watson(.992)
SG: Dwyane Wade(17.1) Alonzo Gee(3.5)
SF: DeMar Derozan(3.34) Dorell Wright(4.1) Jae Crowder(.6)
PF: Gerald Wallace(9.88) Matt Bonner(3.67) Al Harrington(6.6)
C:   Brook Lopez(13.67) Chris Andersen(.854)

I love: Ricky Rubio, Wade, and Brook Lopez as the foundation of an offense. Rubio's passing is a boon here, Lopez's shooting is a space-maker, and Wade's slashing and scoring is the thing that will eat-up that space.

I like: The mix of the 4's. Wallace is a defender, Bonner is a sniper, and Al Harrington is a crafty scorer all-around, if a step slower than he used to be. I also like the prospects in DeRozen and Crowder. DeRozen is a possible All-Star, and Crowder will at worst probably a dogged defender and hustle monster for the next decade.

Neutral On: Alonzo Gee, CJ Watson, Birdman. All capable rotation players on a good team, none necessarily ideal, and Gee in particular not really a good 'fit' here, despite his talent.

I hate: The fit of team's other pieces. Shooting will be a very, very scarce resource, even with Bonner on board. Rebounding will also rely very heavily on the guards and I don't think it'll be enough to makeup for the disparity in the frontcourt. When Wallace has played the 4 next to Lopez, the Nets rebounding rate drops a near 10% from the mark by the starters. Wade and Rubio are above average rebounders for their positions, Wade should even be considered elite, but DeRozen is well below average as a rebounder at the 3.

Actual Success: Surefire playoff team, very talented, fringe contender in all liklihood (a lot like the actual Nets now). Rubio's health and Wade's fragility will likely hold them back though, and while their talent deserves a higher seed, if I had to bet money, which I'm terrible at, I'd bet they're a 4 or 5 seed.

Pick Two Success: Turned Dragic and Gortat, two average starters for their positions, into Wade and Lopez, two elite starters. Smart drafting, ruthless trading, and knowing when to say no (despite I might add, merciless spamming by myself and I'm sure others) has led to a very strong roster. Its not without its flaws, but the shine is a lot brighter than the stains. 

« Reply #1092 on: March 02, 2013, 06:22:35 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1687
Hey, if you're doing all of these (I think you have in the past) then hold off on mine for a bit.  I have one last trade with jgod that I think we both accept, just waiting to hear back from him.  Once I get word, I'll be all set.

« Reply #1093 on: March 02, 2013, 06:24:12 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
IP's Thoughts On The Bucks:

Wow, thanks IP for the very thorough evaluation. Let me try to do it justice...

Guards: K Irving / I Thomas / L Stephenson
Forwards: R Anderson / H Barnes / T Harris / D Cunningham / M Teletovic
Bigs: Bynum / G Smith / T Zeller

Ever since I spied on the CB draft this past summer (yeah, I was a lurker), I've been a huge fan of Kyrie Irving. In fact, IP and I considered a swap of franchises at the start of this (since the Hawks were still on the board at my pick) and I almost went through with it because I think he's a legit star in this league. He's obviously your foundation.

Truth be told, if I somehow got the Cavs to fall to me, I was going to make the same choices in keepers that IP made: Irving and Thompson. Though Thompson's defense has underwhelmed, he does a lot of things right and I think as the third big on a contender he could flourish. That said, IP wasn't going to become a contender unless he moved Thompson, because he'd probably have trouble getting star big men with a late pick in the draft rounds.

Ok, so now onto evaluations...

I love: Kyrie (as I said), Barnes, and Harris. Like Kyrie, Barnes is a very talented young player. I think he has the potential to develop into a top-10 SF in the league some years down the road. He's a talented scorer, a good rebounder, and he's smart. I love Harris because he was a great value pick for you so late in the draft. I considered him at a few points, but I felt I already had two serviceable SFs in Ariza and Webster.

I like: Anderson, Thomas. I don't love Anderson because he just doesn't seem like he has a position in the NBA. Personal opinion, he's a little too soft to be a PF, and a little too slow to be a SF. That said, he's a fantastic scorer and a good rebounder and that can't be ignored. Thomas is a great scorer off the bench, and can keep up the pace that Kyrie initiates at the start of every game.

Neutral: Stephenson, Smith, Zeller. My friend at school is a Pacers fan, and the general consensus among Pacers fans is that Stephenson is a little boneheaded. Perhaps Kyrie's smarts will be able to counterbalance that (or even rub off on him) but I wouldn't know until they actually played. Smith and Zeller, while good prospects, are not really good enough to be the backups on a contender. Much like Stiemsma and Hollins for the Celtics last year; they'll get the job done, but there are better options.

His own paragraph: Bynum. I think it was a super high-risk high-reward type move for you to make in trading for him, and I know a lot of people disagreed with it, but to be a contender in this league (unless youre the cHeat) you have to take risks, especially coming out of the middle of the pack as you were. A team centered around Kyrie and Thomas won't contend; a team centered around Kyrie and Bynum at least has a chance.

Dislike: Teletovic. This guy is not the sharpest tool in the shed (yeah I was listening to Smash Mouth as I wrote this... deal with it!) and I really would have liked to see you pick up a bruiser to offset Ryan Anderson's aforementioned softness.

Success with Bynum: a true contender, with talent at every position and a team that anyone would be scared to play in the playoffs.
Success without Bynum: see the real-life Sixers, with Jrue and Turner's talent packaged into Kyrie.

Overall: one of my favorite teams in this draft. There are tougher teams out there, sure, but I think this team would be extremely exciting to watch.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 06:36:16 PM by AB_Celtic »

« Reply #1094 on: March 02, 2013, 06:36:42 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
IP's Thoughts On The Thunder:

PG: Jrue Holiday, Kirk Hinrich, Keyon Dooling
SG: Keith Bogans, Alexey Shved, E'Twaun Moore
SF: Kevin Durant, Mickael Gelabale
PF: Josh Smith, Lamar Odom, (Jason Thompson)
C: Kendrick Perkins, Jason Thompson, Hasheem Thabeet

I Love: Foundation around Holiday, Durant, and Smith. Very similar to what the Thunder have now, although weaker in some areas, they're stronger in others. While not the current flavor of the month, I think Smith to be at worst a peer of Ibaka's on defense, if not his better. On offense, Ibaka has a very definite skill with a jumper, but Smith is a much better package. He always gets accused of having a terrible shot selection, but people forget he's the first option on offense and was every time Joe Johnson wasn't on the floor. With Durant he is the clear as day second option, and between holiday and Durant, Smith should have plenty of good looks and passes that set him up to do the most damage.

I like: Shved, Thompson, Odom on the bench. Although Id like it more if Odom and Shved were consistently good, Shved especially. Perkins I like as well for all the usual reasons, and I don't love him for all the usual reasons.

Neutral on: Bogans, Hinrich, Thabeet. They'll do what they can, won't impress.

Hate: Really, nothing. Not that I love everything about the team, but there isn't anything Im especially down on. Not a fan of Gebale, but he's barely gonna play. The SG spot should be better, but 3 and D is what's needed there. You really need Smith and Odom to be hot offensively, because there isn't a difference maker on the bench like Martin or Harden, but it's still a very good team.

Actual Success: contender, maybe the best in the West.

Pick Two Success: Moving Westbrook was a hard choice to make. But I think it worked out. Two all-stars for one. It's not a trade you make without Durant on the team, but with Durant, I think it made your team more balanced. Gaping hole in reliable bench scoring, but a heck of a starting unit.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 07:12:09 PM by IndeedProceed »