Author Topic: Celtics (3-1) at Nets (2-0) 10/16  (Read 13869 times)

Celtics (3-1) at Nets (2-0) 10/16
« on: October 15, 2008, 08:56:51 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  AT 

Boston Celtics (3-1) at New Jersey Nets (2-0)
Preseason Game #5 – Road Game #3
IZOD Center
East Rutherford, NJ
Thursday, October 16, 2008
7:30 PM ET
TV:  CSN, YES
Radio:  WEEI

Probable Starters

Rondo/R Allen/ Pierce/ Garnett/ Perkins

The Bench
Tony Allen
Glen Davis
JR Giddens
Eddie House
Darius Miles
Leon Powe
Gabe Pruitt
Brian Scalabrine
Bill Walker
Sam Cassell
Patrick O'Bryant

Injuries
None

Harris/Carter/Hassell/Yi/Lopez

Bench
Bobby Simmons
Stromile Swift
Chris Douglas Roberts
Maurice Ager
Julius Hodge
Brian Hamilton
Eddie Gill
Ryan Anderson
Josh Boone
Keyon Dooling
Jarvis Hayes
Eduardo Najera
Sean Williams

Injuries
Jarvis Hayes (Hamstring) questionable
Eduardo Najera (wrist)  out

The Nets swept their 2 game series with the Heat during NBA Europe Live.  They played in Paris and then in London.  The Nets completely remade their team with an eye toward the 2009-10 free agent class.  Gone are Jason Kidd and Richard Jefferson and only Vince Carter remains from their big 3 of last year. 

It is hard to tell what starting lineup the Nets will use because in two preseason games they have used two different starting lineups.  The only positions that seem set are the guard spots and everything else is up for grabs. 

Players to watch
Celtics
Gabe Pruitt - Gabe has been showing some good things so far in the preseason.  If he continues to improve and shows he can contribute to the team, they may decide that they don't need Sam after all
Darius Miles   Darius is still on the bubble and needs to show that he can play and that he will fit on this team.  He has shown some good things, but also still looks very rusty. 
Patrick O'Bryant  O'Byrant looked very good in his starting role but seemed to struggle coming off the bench.  He will need to find his role with the second unit to be effective on this team.
Tony Allen  The team is counting on Tony to pick up a lot of the slack left by James Posey's departure.  He has been somewhat inconsistent so far with a very good game and then one not so good.  The Celtics need him to be consistent so that they know what they will get from him when he comes into the game.
Bill Walker   Bill Williams sat out the last game with soreness in his knee, but was impressive in the first 3 games.  He is definitely fun to watch and if he plays, it will be interesting to see if he continues his aggressive play. 
Nets

Vince Carter  Vince Carter is still their best player and will have to get used to playing with an entire new cast this season.  It will be interesting to see how long he can be patient with the rebuilding project. 
Brook Lopez Lopez got the start in the Nets' last game and had 8 points and 13 rebounds. 
Yi Jianlian The Nets have two 7 footers up front and this could be a formidable front line if they can develop chemistry and develop an NBA game.  Yi had 19 points and 4 rebounds in his last start. 

It is always good to beat division rivals whether it is preseason or not. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 09:05:52 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (3-1) at Nets (2-0) 10/16
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 09:00:33 PM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
Good work as always just want to change Williams to Walker thought it might of been a Nets player at first.

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 09:03:05 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Bill 'Williams", LOL.  (It's Walker)

Actually, very good preview as usual FlCeltsfan.  Definitely need more consistency from the bench.  Guys like O'Bryant, TA, Pruitt and Powe need to be just solid so that we have a reasonable idea of the rotation.  House is solid and I trust him, but few other on that bench.

Anyone want to wager on whether the Nets win 20 games this season?

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 09:06:32 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Good work as always just want to change Williams to Walker thought it might of been a Nets player at first.
Thanks for the heads up.  I don't know why, but I have done that a couple of times now.  I have fixed it. 

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 07:53:42 PM »

Offline Locomotive Breath

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Not looking too sharp yet(NJ 15 to 3), without the big three it's looking rather sad.

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 07:56:24 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
Not looking too sharp yet(NJ 15 to 3), without the big three it's looking rather sad.

I cant watch it so please keep up with the updates.

Im really curious to see  (or hear) how Miles does.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 08:00:07 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I wish Rondo would take over when the big three are not there. :-[
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 08:07:35 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
This Nets team is going to finish in last in the entire NBA. Vince Carter will be asking for a trade before December.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 08:07:57 PM »

• The Green Kornet
Tony Allen is really playing well tonight, that is areally good sign. Te Celts are looking better (NJ24-18).

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 08:11:02 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Tony Allen is really playing well tonight, that is areally good sign. Te Celts are looking better (NJ24-18).

Yup ... TA is looking like his "Old" self .... that's I great thing to see ... I was really worried he might never get his confidence back ... it's a sweet thing to see!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 08:23:20 PM »

• The Green Kornet
I don't know what is worst Scalabrine playing or Donny Marshall praising him.

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 08:36:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
How is JR Giddens doing so far?

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 08:46:19 PM »

• The Green Kornet
How is JR Giddens doing so far?
He did OK, he played the first few minutes scored 3 point I think. Miles hasn't played yet. the story of this game is TA and House so far(Pruitt is looking good also).

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 08:52:19 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
Scal is on FIRE tonight he had a lay-up and a 3 pointer! not only that he has 2 rebounds and a steal. I completely take back what I said about this guy...... ;) Pruitt is looking ok though not that great not that bad.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 08:59:49 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
I'm at the game! Brian's first assist was a beauty, followed by a coast to coast drive (and miss...) He's also playing great defense, a steal from Yi, tipped a ball from Harris, broke up an alley oop play, and he's directing the rookies... Walker missed ugly on his one break away and followed that up with a huge block/ foul... Davis couldn't keep Lopez off the boards, several times Brook simply reached over him... House has the hot hand... Pruitt looks competent but not making plays on either end of the court.

Can anyone tell me why KG didn't make the trip?  

« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 09:05:03 PM by The Walker Wiggle »