Author Topic: Luck retires.  (Read 7320 times)

Luck retires.
« on: August 24, 2019, 10:52:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Shocked.

Re: Luck retires.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 10:53:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
crazy.  only 30 and none of the injuries were to the head or neck region.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 10:56:44 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Wow, seems like he was just drafted. I guess he doesn't want to chance the rest of his life - not like he doesn't have enough money. It probably would have been nicer for him to have done this months ago...for Indy I mean. Although apparently it's his latest injury that pushed him to this decision.

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 11:11:58 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
THE way  he played was not conducive to longevity in the league.

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 11:21:48 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
THE way  he played was not conducive to longevity in the league.
I would say having a horrible O-line for the first 5 years of his career because of incompetent management is far more impactful on his longevity.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 02:56:37 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Reading about the whole situation I have a feeling he will return in 2-3 years. This feels like a Michael Jordan type situation in a sense, where a large part of the retirement is mental fatigue along with the physical injuries.

I think once he recovers from all his injuries and has a long break from football, he will feel recharged and if the right situation presents itself he will come back.

What would be hilarious is if Colts sucked long enough they could fluke their way into drafting Trevor Lawrence...imagine going from Peyton Manning to Andrew Luck to Trevor Lawrence.

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 04:07:49 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Gronk retired at 29 too

Seems to be a new trend forming? Will 29 be the new end of the road? CTE is real. It seems they want to make decent money for a few years then just retire early to reduce any risk.

This all makes tom bradys body of work all the more impressive

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 08:42:19 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Gronk retired at 29 too

Seems to be a new trend forming? Will 29 be the new end of the road? CTE is real. It seems they want to make decent money for a few years then just retire early to reduce any risk.

This all makes tom bradys body of work all the more impressive

Gronk plays a much more physically abusive position. Less surprising than a quarterback like like Luck whose best years seemed in front of him.

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 08:54:14 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Good for him. He should be able to live comfortably his entire life without destroying his body.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 10:49:04 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Yeah this news really was shocking, and really unexpected. Felt bad for him. The injuries simply took their toll and it seemed like he was dealing with another one that ultimately made him decide to retire.

I do kind of hope maybe Luck takes an entire year off and then decides to comeback later on, but that's probably unlikely.

Luck was truly talented. The Colts front office screwed him though. All those years giving him a trash O-Line and Luck just kept getting hit and pounded in the pocket, which led to a lot of the injuries.

In terms of the 2019-2020 season, the AFC basically became weaker, and also a bit more wide open especially in the AFC South. But besides KC and NE, is there really another true threat now in the AFC? Maybe the Chargers. Possibly Jacksonville if Foles does great. I think CLE wins their division barely but their ceiling is maybe 1 win in the playoffs. That's about it. A lot of the other teams have too many question marks and/or are rebuilding a bit with their young QBs.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 10:58:25 AM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 12:37:39 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Pretty wild news. 

You can certainly point to the idiotic decisions of Ryan Grigson playing a pretty significant role in this.   Luck was supposed to be the can't miss prospect heir apparent to Luck.  Heck, the Colts tanked an entire season to link themselves up to get him.  Colts fans have to be disappointed right now.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 02:02:33 PM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 01:59:38 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
On one hand, I feel really bad for Andrew Luck and the majority of the fanbase. Other then being our rival, He seemed like a likable and respectable dude, and his skills as a quarterback were fantastic. I really do think he had the potential to be an all-time great football player. On the other hand... hahahahahahahaha get rekt, Colts organization. Your shining ineptitude day in and day out has finally caught up to you, Jim Irsay and whatever management sycophants that are/were under him. Without Luck, your organization would have been even more pathetic than the Browns or any other clown show the NFL has seen over the years. I hope he Payton Manning's you, comes out of retirement, and wins a super bowl with another team. Go check the air pressure in the balls now, losers.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 03:06:25 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Very shock..should done it in March instead 2 weeks before season started..really hurt the Colts..but i really think he be back next year
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 04:45:36 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Wow, seems like he was just drafted.

i thought so too... kept thinking i was reading the topic wrong.

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2019, 04:55:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Luck had a good year last year and seemed to finally get past his problems as, except for last year, he really has been injured or pretty poor since that Deflategate game in early 2015. Really kind of shocking he is retiring but if he has been dealing with injuries since 2015 and was still in lots of pain, he is making the right decision. Best to get out rich and long term healthy than to be crippled and/or in pain the rest of his life.

As for the Colts....karma is a female dog, Irsay. You and your team deserve this after your part in Deflategate.