Author Topic: Why would Joe Smith Pick Boston ?  (Read 7140 times)

Re: Why would Joe Smith Pick Boston ?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 01:31:58 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
Buy him a giant moon bounce.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 01:40:08 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
so it boils down to KG vs. money and we just lost KG for 3 weeks

I gotta admit, I'm worried
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 01:43:57 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

That could actually help.  KG could tell him he needs his help.

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 01:46:26 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Are Joe Smith and KG really good friends?
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Joe Smith did sign an illegal contract to stay there.

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 01:54:47 PM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 01:58:16 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!

Little does anyone know but KG is actually fine... He's just on a recruiting trip to OKC :D

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 02:17:19 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Joe would pick Boston because despite what Drew Carey claims Cleveland does not rock.

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 02:23:21 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

From the quote on the front page:

Quote from: Joe Smith
Obviously KG and I played together in Minnesota, and we talk quite often

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 02:36:30 PM »

Offline wil

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 88

Something looks wrong here....Oh yea, it's missing one!!

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 02:50:40 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
I just commented to similar effect on the front page. But in my opinion it would be a big mistake for Cleveland not to outbid Boston. Smith is familiar with the players and the system, they could use the front court insurance, and (most importantly) it keeps a potential difference maker from instead signing with the only team likely to beat them in a seven game series.

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 03:01:09 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I just commented to similar effect on the front page. But in my opinion it would be a big mistake for Cleveland not to outbid Boston. Smith is familiar with the players and the system, they could use the front court insurance, and (most importantly) it keeps a potential difference maker from instead signing with the only team likely to beat them in a seven game series.

It would make sense strategically, but do the Cavs want to commit an extra $5 million or so (after luxury tax) their roster?  They've already got a payroll over $90 million, and will be paying at least $18 million in luxury tax.  Do they really want a total outlay of around $125 million this year?

(I guess the alternate argument is that there isn't a huge difference between $120m and $125m.  Still, in this economy, $5 million matters.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 04:00:19 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

It would make sense strategically, but do the Cavs want to commit an extra $5 million or so (after luxury tax) their roster?  They've already got a payroll over $90 million, and will be paying at least $18 million in luxury tax.  Do they really want a total outlay of around $125 million this year?

(I guess the alternate argument is that there isn't a huge difference between $120m and $125m.  Still, in this economy, $5 million matters.)

i certainly hope that you are right about CLE not wanting a huge hit to their payroll and luxury tax at this point.

My worry is that the biggest financial hit to the franchise that CLE could take is losing LeBron. and considering they didn't make a move at the deadline, are they going really let Boston get Smith without doing everything to stop that from happening?

Signing Smith, honestly, could be more about keeping him away from us than getting him for themselves....not that he couldn't also help them like he did last year.

gonna be interesting to see how this week plays out. that's for sure.

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 07:28:17 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 445
I think him having played with KG for so many years may have an impact on his decision.

But I think a bigger factor also ways in when these guys are making a decision, especially if they are wanting a shot at a ring....

As incredible as LeBron is and/or as deep as the Lakers may seem...when push comes to shove, the chips are on the table and you have to decide who to place the bet on..are you really going to bet against KG, Pierce, Ray, Rondo and Perkins over the Cavs or Lakers?

The cream rises to the top. Kobe and LeBron are sick talents. Gasol is very good, Cleveland has more depth this year, Bynum will be back..

But there's more cream in Boston and I wouldn't watn to meet it in a dark alley.

Every one of those starters are tough as nails in their own way. mentally and physically. If they're healthy, they win another title, homecourt advantage or not.

If Joe Smith and Marbury come on board, it will just be "more over".     

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2009, 07:45:02 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I think Joe Smith's connection to cleveland is getting a bit overblown. He only played a half season for them before they shipped him out. Also, he has commented specifically on the Celtics on a few occasions while I have not heard much about Cleveland. Unfortunately, it will probably come down to money as someone already mentioned and Cleveland should have plenty of motivation to throw all of it at him.

I suspect the Cavs will not be thrifty here given the impact Smith could have for the Celtics. So much is riding on this season and the next for that team they cannot afford to make any mistakes in personnel to anger LeBron (See Boozer debacle).

BTW this is my first post but this has been my go to celts site literally for years. Happy to finally contribute to the great dialogue here!