Poll

Should the Celtics waive TA if they find three players that can help them now?

Yes
11 (42.3%)
No
15 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Should the Celtics waive TA if they find three players that can help them now?  (Read 7436 times)

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I ask this if TA is done for the season. 

Let's say the Celtics sign Smith or Moore.

Let's say somehow Marbury is signed (I hope not)

And let's say a swingman that is better then the rookies and equal to TA becomes available.

Do the Celtics waive TA to sign him and make sure Pierce is not gassed by the time the playoffs roll around.

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I guess it depends on whether they can bring 3 useful guys (which might be asking a lot)...and the salary repercussions
Yup

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I think Doc is going to have to give Walker and Pruitt bigger minutes.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't like the idea of cutting someone loose who can contribute next year, and will have his salary count against the cap.

That third replacement would want to be one heck of a talent for me to be happy with that scenario.

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I don't think they will.  Between Eddie, Scal, and Tony, the team has close to $9 million in expiring contracts to use as trade chips next season.  They team may want to hold on to him for that reason.  Plus, due to luxury tax, they're essentially going to be paying $5 million to have him on the roster next year, so they may as well try to get something out of him.

If the team is going to cut somebody, I assume it will be Giddens.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I don't think they will.  Between Eddie, Scal, and Tony, the team has close to $9 million in expiring contracts to use as trade chips next season.  They team may want to hold on to him for that reason.  Plus, due to luxury tax, they're essentially going to be paying $5 million to have him on the roster next year, so they may as well try to get something out of him.

Good point on Giddens.

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Yeah, sadly TA is one of those guys whose salary dump is becoming more valuable than his court skills.

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228

Good point on Giddens.

The comment on Giddens was certainly a fine point.

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
If they brought in Marbury, Smith, and could get an effective wing, I'd cut Pruitt.

Why?

1) He won't sniff the floor with Rondo, House, Marbury, and another 2/3 on this roster.

2) There's a team option next year on him, which means not only won't we be responsible for paying him next year (unlike Allen and Giddens), but the team would likely not need him if Marbury had any interest in returning. 

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
If they brought in Marbury, Smith, and could get an effective wing, I'd cut Pruitt.

Why?

1) He won't sniff the floor with Rondo, House, Marbury, and another 2/3 on this roster.

2) There's a team option next year on him, which means not only won't we be responsible for paying him next year (unlike Allen and Giddens), but the team would likely not need him if Marbury had any interest in returning. 

There is not chance they would bring Marbury back the following year.  Marbury's ego would never allow him to take so little money to backup Rondo. 

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
No.

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
personally, im for anything that gets TA out of here.  :-\

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

agreed
I also don't think they'd cut Pruitt as he has trade value, Giddens probably none.  Tony is proving to be turnover and injury prone, not a good combination.  At least his contract is relatively affordable.
no marbury
Good point on Giddens.

The comment on Giddens was certainly a fine point.

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
personally, im for anything that gets TA out of here.  :-\

I am has big of an anti-TA guy as there is on here, but we would have to have a significant player become available to make that move. There is no value at all in dumping our trash for someone else's. The devil you know is better than the devil you don't...

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Very interesting point, and perhaps one reason why the Celtics were not so quick to jump on the oppty to get Nocioni.
Celtics fan for life.