Author Topic: Joe Smith: I’m not seeking a buyout  (Read 7030 times)

Re: Joe Smith: I’m not seeking a buyout
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2009, 02:24:06 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
smith is all about his money... doesn't seem like the winning/willing to sacrifice attitude i want on the celtics.
Sour grapes.

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2009, 08:09:03 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Update:

The prime target [for the Celtics] remains Joe Smith. And while he’s said he’s not looking for a buyout from Oklahoma City, there are different rumblings behind the scene. Word is strong that, after being sent to New Orleans in a deal that was ultimately reversed last week, he could be on the move.

“I don’t know too much right now,” Smith told the Herald. “This week has been a crazy week all around, as far as being traded and the trade being rescinded. I don’t have too many answers right now about what’s going on in the office or what’s going on with my agent and talks with the team.

“I didn’t know what to think before the trade deadline. You heard so many things. And now it’s almost the same situation. I hear my name as far as being bought out and a lot of teams inquiring about it. But I really don’t know. I don’t expect anything to happen, but I’m not sure.”

The 6-foot-10 Smith has done an admirable job of honoring his employer, but it did please him to know the Celtics would have such interest if he gets free.

“That’s very flattering,” he said. “Obviously KG and I played together in Minnesota, and we talk quite often. And this is the defending champions. They accomplished a lot last year and this year, too. For them to feel that I can be a piece of their puzzle, that’s very flattering.”

For their part, the Celts appear willing to let a potentially helpful piece (e.g. Mikki Moore) get away if they think a better player will become available.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2009, 08:21:42 AM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186
Smith appears to have been moved to the Oklahoma inactive list as he wasn't even listed as a player last evening. 

That being said, I found nothing on ESPN or the Oklahoma City website to back this up.
Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2009, 09:49:17 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Joe Smith is a very smart individual and knows not to bite the hand that feeds him. Of course he is going to say that he doesn't want a buyout when asked in a public forum. He is a team guy above all things and doesn't want the perception that comes along with being a player that is asking for a buyout. He is 100% dedictated to being a Thunder player.

Now, as Roy posted in the article above, what happens behind closed doors could be different. He could very much want to be bought out and could be having his agent negotiate something for him. But why let the players and coaches and fans think that he doesn't like or appreciate is current situation publicly when he could be there playing ball through at least the end of the year? That could be counterproductive for him and serves no purpose.