Author Topic: Cockeyed optimists  (Read 7193 times)

Re: Cockeyed optimists
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2015, 11:21:35 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
If an internet message board is not the correct place to discuss our <1% chance of getting LBJ, where should this be discussed?

Take a look at Cousins. Lets say there is a 10% chance we can get him this summer or during the season(the number not really important here.) Its perfectly reasonable to talk about our 10% chance of getting him and how we could do it, and what other guys we would then want exc. without being reminded again and again that there is a 90% chance we won't get him. Its like a little kid saying, "I want to be in the NBA when I grow up Dad!" and the Dad saying, "never going to happen. smh lol (stupid emoticon)"

I don't know maybe GM wannabes hope Ainge would read their "realistic" transaction ideas and would hire them to be an assistant or something... Which BTW, I lost faith in Danny the minute he traded Perkins away, funny how Perkins teams knocked us out of the playoffs..

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2015, 11:25:46 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
If an internet message board is not the correct place to discuss our <1% chance of getting LBJ, where should this be discussed?

Take a look at Cousins. Lets say there is a 10% chance we can get him this summer or during the season(the number not really important here.) Its perfectly reasonable to talk about our 10% chance of getting him and how we could do it, and what other guys we would then want exc. without being reminded again and again that there is a 90% chance we won't get him. Its like a little kid saying, "I want to be in the NBA when I grow up Dad!" and the Dad saying, "never going to happen. smh lol (stupid emoticon)"
I really don't even know why I'm responding to this - but dude, everyone knows that LeBron is not going anywhere...its very different when you are the BEST player on the planet. yeah there is a <1% chance of getting LeBron BUT EVERYONE KNOWS after the Miami fiasco/title run he's NOT going anywhere. He was born in Cleveland, went to HS in Cleveland, has roots in Cleveland, drafted by Cleveland. He's retiring in Cleveland.
Very different when you have someone like Cousins, who is not the best player on the planet and has worked in a losing organization for years and has had 3/4 coaches in the last few years.

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2015, 11:36:43 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132

I don't know maybe GM wannabes hope Ainge would read their "realistic" transaction ideas and would hire them to be an assistant or something... Which BTW, I lost faith in Danny the minute he traded Perkins away, funny how Perkins teams knocked us out of the playoffs..

Funny, I don't remember the Celtics ever playing the Thunder in the playoffs, and I also don't remember Perkins being a factor in the CLE series. That was the first time we saw Perk in the playoffs since his trade.

On a side note, I don't know why people consider Perkins this great big superstar around here. He was good here, but he certainly wasn't GREAT. I think some could argue his mediocrity. Perkins was and is replaceable.

Again, as I've said before, I was appreciative of what he did here, but it wasn't hard to move on from. 

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2015, 11:54:01 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

Funny, I don't remember the Celtics ever playing the Thunder in the playoffs, and I also don't remember Perkins being a factor in the CLE series. That was the first time we saw Perk in the playoffs since his trade.

On a side note, I don't know why people consider Perkins this great big superstar around here. He was good here, but he certainly wasn't GREAT. I think some could argue his mediocrity. Perkins was and is replaceable.

Again, as I've said before, I was appreciative of what he did here, but it wasn't hard to move on from.

Teams was a typo on my part... he knocked the people's champ on his ass... that's disrespect enough.

Perkins was a vital piece to that championship team, he grabbed boards protected the paint(guess what team is struggling with that now?!!)

What you want me to say? That we absolutely needed Jeff Green back? Okay, you're right it's not like Perkins went off to another Finals run, which he didn't help fuel, right? but man that Jeff Green!

wait where's he at now?!  ::)

It's always hit or miss with Danny, he isn't the GM genius people make him out to be.

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2015, 01:52:26 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132

Teams was a typo on my part... he knocked the people's champ on his ass... that's disrespect enough.

Perkins was a vital piece to that championship team, he grabbed boards protected the paint(guess what team is struggling with that now?!!)

What you want me to say? That we absolutely needed Jeff Green back? Okay, you're right it's not like Perkins went off to another Finals run, which he didn't help fuel, right? but man that Jeff Green!

It's always hit or miss with Danny, he isn't the GM genius people make him out to be.

Just for some comparison: Perkins has only averaged over 8 RPB twice in his career and that was 8.1. For his Career he's at 5.9. Sullinger in his 2nd season averaged 8.1. Perk was an average rebounder at best. Sure Perk was a pretty good defender. He did some great jobs on D12 over his career.

Also, are you suggesting Perk could come back to Boston now and start, and most of our interior problems would be fixed?

Jeff Green where is he now? He scored 8 points and had 6 boards against the Warriors the other night. Might I add Memphis is the 3rd team to beat GS at home all year. Pretty good.

Like I said, Perk wasn't a terrible person, or even a terrible player, but people act like we traded our franchise away when it happened. 

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2015, 02:26:36 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

Just for some comparison: Perkins has only averaged over 8 RPB twice in his career and that was 8.1. For his Career he's at 5.9. Sullinger in his 2nd season averaged 8.1. Perk was an average rebounder at best. Sure Perk was a pretty good defender. He did some great jobs on D12 over his career.

Also, are you suggesting Perk could come back to Boston now and start, and most of our interior problems would be fixed?

Jeff Green where is he now? He scored 8 points and had 6 boards against the Warriors the other night. Might I add Memphis is the 3rd team to beat GS at home all year. Pretty good.

Like I said, Perk wasn't a terrible person, or even a terrible player, but people act like we traded our franchise away when it happened.

We traded away our potential repeat, and that's just as bad.

To the comparison to Sullinger coming out of nowhere, errr Okay?

Perkins was a good body to have, point.blank.period. And that's the point idiot, Jeff Green is not with us, so Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. are you getting at?!

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2015, 02:40:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Boston was not beating Miami in 2010/11.  Just wasn't going to happen. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2015, 02:40:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
What sort of discussion can we really have about things that have a less than 1% chance of occurring?

Just because this is a forum for fans of the team doesn't mean that we should all feel obligated to entertain every notion that a fan of the team might have.  Discussion requires salient topics with multiple legitimate viewpoints to bring forth.

"What if I happened to run into Danny Ainge tomorrow, we talk about the team, and he hires me to be part of his front office staff?" is not a viable topic of discussion, for example.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2015, 03:07:24 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
We got better this year...both through the draft and through trades.  So there is more than one way to build a team.

Frankly, calling the Magic or Bucks "top-flight teams" and speak of the Celtics as if they are less than that seems silly.  There are a lot of reasons why players want to leave their current team, and not all of them may be in the public eye.

I don't know how likely it is that we will sign any first tier players during the offseason, but I know that Danny is always trying to make this team better, so it's in good hands. 

There's a buzz going on in the NBA about Boston now that we've sniffed the playoffs again.  Coach is getting a lot of positive attention because he motivated the players to become a team that was much greater than the sum of their parts.

Revisit this again next off season and let's see how things turned out

;)

Rak

I don't know if you know but... Miami was plauged by injuries, as well as Pacers and Hornets. We were FORTUNATE to make the playoffs... it didn't come with 0 help.

Why do you say this like the Celtics didn't also have their own issues? It's pretty disingenuous to pretend the Celtics were pretty much the same team throughout the season. So the Hornets and Pacers were plagued by injuries. The Celtics also had 22-23 players on the roster and traded away 40% of their starting lineup mid-season. They then proceeded to play at a 53-55 win pace for ~40% of the season.

You can look at it with multiple perspectives, but you are simply taking the pessimistic route. The optimist would say that those teams were fortunate that the Celtics didn't have this roster the whole season because they would have been knocked out of the playoffs regardless of injuries or not. The realist would say that injuries are apart of the game, and every team goes through their ups and downs. Fact of the matter is the Celtics played well enough to make the playoffs this year after tons of roster turnover, and even if the seeding was 1-16 for the whole NBA, the Celtics would still be in the playoffs. They didn't simply back into it because they were in the East and other teams faced injuries. They made it because they simply played better than most of the NBA for 40% of the season.

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2015, 03:15:51 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
What sort of discussion can we really have about things that have a less than 1% chance of occurring?

Just because this is a forum for fans of the team doesn't mean that we should all feel obligated to entertain every notion that a fan of the team might have.  Discussion requires salient topics with multiple legitimate viewpoints to bring forth.

"What if I happened to run into Danny Ainge tomorrow, we talk about the team, and he hires me to be part of his front office staff?" is not a viable topic of discussion, for example.
A+
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2015, 03:23:22 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75

A+
well said!

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2015, 03:43:18 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCFB2akLh4s
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2015, 03:48:36 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
We got better this year...both through the draft and through trades.  So there is more than one way to build a team.

Frankly, calling the Magic or Bucks "top-flight teams" and speak of the Celtics as if they are less than that seems silly.  There are a lot of reasons why players want to leave their current team, and not all of them may be in the public eye.

I don't know how likely it is that we will sign any first tier players during the offseason, but I know that Danny is always trying to make this team better, so it's in good hands. 

There's a buzz going on in the NBA about Boston now that we've sniffed the playoffs again.  Coach is getting a lot of positive attention because he motivated the players to become a team that was much greater than the sum of their parts.

;)

Rak

I don't know if you know but... Miami was plauged by injuries, as well as Pacers and Hornets. We were FORTUNATE to make the playoffs... it didn't come with 0 help.

Why do you say this like the Celtics didn't also have their own issues? It's pretty disingenuous to pretend the Celtics were pretty much the same team throughout the season. So the Hornets and Pacers were plagued by injuries. The Celtics also had 22-23 players on the roster and traded away 40% of their starting lineup mid-season. They then proceeded to play at a 53-55 win pace for ~40% of the season.

You can look at it with multiple perspectives, but you are simply taking the pessimistic route. The optimist would say that those teams were fortunate that the Celtics didn't have this roster the whole season because they would have been knocked out of the playoffs regardless of injuries or not. The realist would say that injuries are apart of the game, and every team goes through their ups and downs. Fact of the matter is the Celtics played well enough to make the playoffs this year after tons of roster turnover, and even if the seeding was 1-16 for the whole NBA, the Celtics would still be in the playoffs. They didn't simply back into it because they were in the East and other teams faced injuries. They made it because they simply played better than most of the NBA for 40% of the season.

My point was that it didn't come with 0 outside help... which you agree it's true...  so if that makes me a pessimist, at least I have company  ;D

So Paul George going down, as well as D.Wade and Chris Bosh had no effect on the standings? I agree we were the team that deserved to be there due to the other teams not being at 100%, but come on son...

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2015, 09:38:12 AM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100

;)

Rak

My point was that it didn't come with 0 outside help... which you agree it's true...  so if that makes me a pessimist, at least I have company  ;D

So Paul George going down, as well as D.Wade and Chris Bosh had no effect on the standings? I agree we were the team that deserved to be there due to the other teams not being at 100%, but come on son...

You missed the point. The Celtics were "helped" by those injuries as much as those teams were helped that the Celtics had a ton of roster turnover this year. The Celtics played at a 53-55 win pace for 40% of the season once the roster was settled and trades were done. I don't think you understand how good of a pace that is if you think the Celtics were simply fortunate that other teams were injured. The Celtics also faced significant injuries to their frontcourt in Sullinger and Olynyk, and their backcourt in Smart early in the season. Basically you are saying the Celtics are lucky that those teams are injured, but what about those teams being lucky that the Celtics didn't have this roster all season? It's logic you are applying to this team but not to others. No offense, but that doesn't make sense. In the end, that's why it doesn't matter if the Celtics "lucked" into the playoffs because of injuries. You are pretending the Celtics didn't also face their own hardships this whole season, which is incredibly disingenuous.

By the way, the Heat were pretty mediocre with Wade and Bosh healthy anyway. The Pacers are the only team you listed that would have significantly played better with a healthy roster most likely, and that wouldn't be enough to drop the Celtics out of the playoffs because the Celtics were the 7th seed, not the 8th.

So again, I never said those players didn't have an impact on the standings. I called your viewpoint pessimistic, because you are holding other teams' issues on a pedestal in a way to demean the Celtics' results this year, while ignoring the issues the Celtics faced with roster turnover and injuries themselves.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 09:49:44 AM by DarkAzcura »

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2015, 10:39:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We got better this year..
  Did we or was the tank on by other team?

I think we got slightly better but next year this team won't cut it because some of the teams we squeaked by will be healthy or not tanking.